GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Hemmings blog.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/carryover-carryall

Chevrolet's Suburban turned 85 years old in 2020, easily making it one of history's most enduring nameplates. The all-new 2021 edition, due out this year, is like a 19-foot-long rolling pleasure boat, and its 8,000-pound tow rating means it can pull most pleasure boats to the lake. The latest 'Burb rides, for the first time, on four-wheel independent suspension, with optional adaptive air ride. Power comes from one of two V-8s or the 3-liter Duramax diesel six, all paired only with a 10-speed automatic transmission. Inside, there are amenities that were once unthinkable in a light truck: 10-speaker stereo, touch-screen infotainment, 12-way power seats, and more.

Luxuriously appointed Suburbans aren't a new concept, as our 1990 feature truck demonstrates. It's part of the GM North American Heritage Collection and a top-of-the line Silverado model with Deluxe two-tone paint in Onyx Black and Fire Red with Vermillion stripes. It has optional cast-aluminum wheels, a 210-hp throttle-body fuel-injected 5.7-liter V-8 with a four-speed automatic transmission, four-wheel drive, reclining front bucket seats, power windows, air conditioning, a center folding seat, and a rear seat, as well as a tailgate with electric window.When this striking truck was new, it was already a little dated, arriving on the tail end of the 1973-'91 Suburban series. In 1988, Chevrolet rolled out its all-new GMT400 series C/K pickups, but the new Suburban wouldn't arrive until the 1992 model year. By then, the 1990s SUV craze was taking shape and buyers were demanding sedan-like comfort in a rugged-looking package. This 1990 4x4 Suburban rode on leaf springs and straight axles, but Chevrolet's next series of 4x4s were more car-like than ever, with torsion bar independent front suspension (two-wheel-drives still rode on coils up front), Insta-Trac shift-on-the-fly four-wheel drive, and four-wheel antilock brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at one a little older(2017) when i decided to buy a Traverse and was amazed how the difference between now and the last Suburban I owned in 1984. It was a 1977 FWD manual trans. Like a big farm truck. Sigh....

·
Premium Member
34,111 Posts
I looked at one a little older(2017) when i decided to buy a Traverse and was amazed how the difference between now and the last Suburban I owned in 1984. It was a 1977 FWD manual trans. Like a big farm truck. Sigh....
These new ones are a dream.. and they cost a dream

1 - 3 of 3 Posts