GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Best Reasons to Buy American
Five domestic rides that make us proud to be American.

BY STEVE SILER, PHOTOGRAPHY BY AARON KILEY AND THE MANUFACTURERS
June 2008

The American car business used to be the envy of the world. But thanks to too many years of pumping out uninspired, shoddily built, and overly thirsty vehicles, American automakers dug themselves into a hole too deep even for a hedonistic, gas-guzzling full-size truck to climb out of.

But there are more and more bright lights appearing in this bleak landscape, lights that do not belong to trucks or SUVs. The Big Three seem to have gotten the memo that cars won’t sell on power alone, but also must be good looking, offer quality interior fit and finish, deliver driving satisfaction, and, yes, be relevant.

Now, there are many shining reasons to buy ’Merican. Here, we’ve selected five of our favorites—some fresh and some familiar, but each proudly wearing badges from one of America’s Big Three automakers. And, while they’re not all built in the U.S.A. (two are built in Canada), all five cars in this group feel American through and through.

The Best Reasons to Buy American

-2008 Chevrolet Malibu
-2008 Cadillac CTS
-2009 Ford Flex
-2008 Chevrolet Corvette
-2009 Dodge Challenger

Full Story Click Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...best_reasons_to_buy_american_feature/(page)/1

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The comments people are leaving make me angry. It wouldn't be so bad if that wasn't how the rest of America thought as well.

American cars the envy of the world? When was that?? Maybe just after WWII when there was a back lag of car production in Europe, but MAYBE. American cars have always been the laughing stock

If these cars are the best reasons to buy american, I can give you plenty reasons to buy japanese or buy european too... Corvette and Challenger are muscle cars, toys, not everyday cars. The Malibu and the flex are good cars, but as exciting as a Toyota Corolla, only far less reliable.

Unless one brings up the usual and tiresome caveat, i.e. "value" the Corvette cannot be considered a a good car nor can it be considered an interesting car. It seriously needs a new suspension: it skips and rattles in corners.
The car needs a new motor: there isn't much you can do with old pushrods. It rattles, the fit and finish is not first class. And yes, for what it offers it is EXPENSIVE. Sorry, not a good value to me.

No wonder the U.S. automotive industry is doomed! With the exception of the Malibu these cars are all gas hogs, good luck selling those!

I suppose had I been alive in 1973, I'd find the Challenger interesting, but nostalgia won't sell cars to younger consumers. And if that list is the BEST America can do, then they all deserve to go bankrupt.

"initial quality" doesn't equal reliability. Reliability is a long term measurement. Initial quality is indicative of well it was put together in manufacturing, not how it will stand up over time in the real world. This list is horrible except for the Flex and the vette.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
my god, those comments are awful

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's the ignorant sheep like this guy that keep the public perception mired in the 80's. The economy would be in better shape now if people would have started paying attention in the late 90's rather than looking back to the way cars used to be. Corvette shoddy suspension? Bad fit and finish? Not a good value (in it's class)? This guy hasn't paid attention for over a decade! :hyper:

Unfortunatley, more people listen to their ignorant friends and family (and press) than to auto reports and factual car reviews. I don't understand it. :confused:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just be glad you live where you can buy what you like....or can afford. Once again we prove on this forum that brains and money don't go together.
Not sure what you are talking about. What does being able to afford various vehicles have to do with the plain ignorant comments left by those people? Those 5 are hardly an exhaustive list of the great american cars out there. I would venture to say the focus is a great car as well as the mustang. They didn't include any jeeps either.

Sounds to me like you have this notion that people who like american cars better than foreign ones are stupid.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I read many of the comments, and lots of them were savage, and stuck in old think about American companies, however, except for the ratio of foreign car supporters to domestic supporters, that could have been any of a number of threads on this forum.

I just managed to read this article today, and find it gratifying to see that Car and Driver indeed does know what is right about American cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts