GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Honda Pilot vs. Ford Flex, Chevy Traverse, Hyundai Veracruz, Mazda CX-9, Toyota Highlander

Sixth: 2008 Hyundai Veracruz Limited AWD

Fifth: 2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT

Fourth: 2009 Ford Flex SEL

Third: 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4X4

Second: 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD

First: 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD

Read Full Review at Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...x_9_toyota_highlander_comparison_test?cid=327

·
Registered
450 Posts
This comparison made me cancel my subscription.

When you look at the rating beak down, it doesn't make any sense. Things like giving the traverse a 2 for fuel economy and 5 for the Pilot when they are both rated the same. And apparently they think the Pilot is better looking than the Traverse. GM should pull all advertising money from these guys. It's not like it's doing any good.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I would have given the Highlander first place. I was very impressed with it in person. The new Pilot would be below the Traverse. That is one crappy interior and there's nothing even remotely competitive about that powertrain.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Pedal 2 Metal said:
This comparison made me cancel my subscription.
It's a good thing I read Motor Trend.

Here's how I would've ranked them:

6. Honda Pilot
5. Ford Flex
4. Toyota Highlander
3. Hyundai Veracruz
2. Chevrolet Traverse
1. Mazda CX-9

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
They complained that the Traverse was too heavy, but it's fuel economy was the best, and so was acceleration. Those should be two of the top three factors most influenced by weight, handling being the third.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The Pilot's interior is disgusting. I was at a Honda dealer a couple of weeks ago and the quality of the materials were a couple of notches below the Fit's interior, and it is ugly to boot.

On a related note, the quality of the Accord's interior has also fallen off the cliff compared to the previous gen (which I considered to be best in class) IMHO. The Civic's felt better in many ways.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
What do you people expect? It's Car & Driver! US rags are motoring journalism at its abysmal worst, and the bias isn't remotely stomachable. C&D, M/T, et.al. are to good journalism what The Sizzler is to fine dining...

I've driven the Flex, CX9, and Pilot out of this bunch and I can't imagine any of them worse than the Pilot. It's hideous, thirsty, overpriced, rides poorly, drives poorly, has an atrocious dashboard, interior plastics on par with Chrysler's worst ....

The CX9 is clearly the winner out of this bunch, with the Flex a close second. If the Traverse is good as the Acadia (which I've driven), I'd have it in a close run with Flex for second place, maybe winning out over the nimbler Flex because of its superior dashboard and driving position.

I was convinced decades ago that US motoring rags were fit only for idiots with reading disabilities and Doctor's Office waiting room fodder...

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Pilot's interior is disgusting. I was at a Honda dealer a couple of weeks ago and the quality of the materials were a couple of notches below the Fit's interior, and it is ugly to boot.

On a related note, the quality of the Accord's interior has also fallen off the cliff compared to the previous gen (which I considered to be best in class) IMHO. The Civic's felt better in many ways.
Completely agree with you...I'm glad I got an Odyssey before they update it and screw it up. The Pilot is butt ugly inside and out - I'd rather be seen in my uncool minivan than one of these.
Only a true Hondaphile (which I am not) could love the thing, and C&D has proven time and time again that they fit the bill:eek:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Write in and voice your opinion then. Only BMW & Honda (Aka Car & Driver) would have found it possible to choose the new Pilot as its 1st place winner in the face of better competition. I think the highlander, traverse and CX9 are all better than the Pilot if you exclude the driving experience which I have no idea about. It is ugly outside, has a poor quality interior inside and has a subpar powertrain. So where's the 1st place coming from?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow. They continue to emphasize handling and small size/weight in a family hauler? I guess this continues to explain why the Lambdas outsell every major competitor in their class despite the somewhat lukewarm reviews. People purchasing in this class want utility, like 3 rows of comfortable seating, a decent tow rating, AWD, plenty of storage, etc. The interior, ride and handling, and acceleration are secondary factors, and as long as the vehicle does those reasonably well, like the Traverse does, the crossover is a good candidate for a purchase. But I digress, everyone knows C&D are a bunch of Honda and BMW apologists.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
If they fire Patrick Bedard, the road tests would be far less skewed. I also agree the Pilot is one step forward and two steps backward from the first generation. In Consumer Reports, I believe they rate the Highlander (non-hybrid) at an 81 and the Pilot at a 74. Other reviews have similar opinions - the Pilot is good, but not class leading.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
highlander is my pick, great mileage, space, and design.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It seemed to me the Pilot impressed them mostly by behaving the best of the group off road. While I certainly wouldn't be judging car-based crossovers off-road, it's the sort of thing that would stand out while you're reviewing them. Car and Driver's most fundamental criteria when they're comparing cars is "which one did I enjoy driving the most," and they liked the Pilot on-road and loved it off-road compared to the others. This criteria is fine for a car enthusiast magazine that does not pretend to be dispensing advice for which family car to buy.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
First time I saw the Pilot I thought, "Oh, my eyes! Oh, my eyes!" :eek: :hyper:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
pilots to boxy, i like aerodynamic

·
Registered
768 Posts
They complained that the Traverse was too heavy, but it's fuel economy was the best, and so was acceleration. Those should be two of the top three factors most influenced by weight, handling being the third.
The highlander was actually the most fuel efficient and the fastest. They also took them off road for some reason i don't really understand and used those results as part of their ranking.

I think the best two would be the highlander and the CX-9.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The Traverse got the lowest observed fuel economy by quite a margin. The Highlander was quicker, but the Traverse is indeed plenty quick.

I was wondering when this article was going to get posted. I was surprised by the results too. I thought the Traverse would have been higher, and I expected a Mazda victory. The Pilot is highly competent at everything.....but is it enough to make it a benchmark? Once again though, people have to avoid getting caught up in the "rankings". These are specifically optioned vehicles....maybe at a different price point, the pecking order changes. Plus Car and Driver doesn't just list winners and losers....there's enough data to help YOU decide who you think the real winner is. If acceleration is your #1 priority, then Toyota is your winner. If you like gold bow ties, then Chevrolet is your winner!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts