GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since things have been somewhat slow here on the news front, thought I'd post this interesting article......came out of my local paper yesterday and gives a lil bit of an insight into our local automotive restoration scene.

As the weather warms, the cars come out.

Classic Chevys. Old Fords. Customs and street rods.

They're gorgeous. And for some Omaha business owners, they combine a labor of love with a livelihood.

A niche business, custom car restoration has a higher profile in the spring and summer, as more shows are held and owners are more likely to take their cherished wheels out on the road.

Link

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
It must be weird to not be able to drive your classic car all year round...
I'd say it must be weird to be able to drive it all year round... :)

Wouldn't feel the same... (when you can get something any day, it doesn't feel as good as when you have to wait a bit for it.) I've owned several "summer cars" as we call them and I really enjoy the yearly excitement of getting it out of storage (and so do all my friends with fast cars and/or motorbikes) to drive it!

When summer comes back, and all the classics come out pretty much at the same time, it's just great...

·
Registered
9,751 Posts

Wouldn't feel the same... (when you can get something any day, it doesn't feel as good as when you have to wait a bit for it.) I've owned several "summer cars" as we call them and I really enjoy the yearly excitement of getting it out of storage (and so do all my friends with fast cars and/or motorbikes) to drive it!

When summer comes back, and all the classics come out pretty much at the same time, it's just great...
Sometimes it rains... Haha

·
Registered
6,064 Posts

*nods*

I agree with this....

And, yet, sure would be nice to NOT have to put 'em away for a while....he he.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I could never get enough" ... Eddy Raven ... 'I Could Use Another You'

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Isnt that the truth. Though I did drive the '85 today. Maybe tommorrow I will get the '81 out.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Would have to see if it would start. Though it would have to make it through the knee deep mud in the yard. I will be glad when the lawn is in.

5,934 Posts
Yep. It's car show season again.

:Club:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It must be weird to not be able to drive your classic car all year round...
Nah, its not weird. It just wouldnt be Spring if you didnt have to get the car out of storage, call and reactivate your insurance, and spend atleast a week getting the carb tuned correctly and ign. timing set! It always takes about a week to get it running tip-top again! Or alteast it did my 66 Mustang!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I read an article in which the green people are lobbying Congress to have this hobby stopped since these classics pollute. They have no catalytic converter nor do they have any smog controls other than a PVC (maybe). Simultaneously, Illinois has stopped emission testing cars older than 96 since these cars do not have the plug-in recepticle to test them; they must be run on a dynamometer. What the greenies do not take into consideration is that many of these cars see only minimal mileage (here, up north, they are stored 6 months per year).
On another stupid greenie note, the DuPage County board has passed a law that increases the distance (from 15 to 25') that a person can smoke near any vent or door or window of a county building. This is arguable. They have also included smokeless tobacco. Now, I don't smoke and I don't chew but I cannot stand these do-gooders going over board. I cannot see how smokeless would affect another person unless he accidentally slipped on a chew (then bananas must also be banned).

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
On the few nice days we've had so far, I seen a few 60's or 70's cars out on the road. In another month, the car shows at local "Steak 'n' Shakes", and other fast food outlets will start up. It's a shame that so many of the old "drive-ins" are disappearing around here.

After a long winter we really need to "feast" on some beautiful oldies and some new or old Corvettes.

5,934 Posts
My "love" for cars occured when I was in college. I took a road trip to Spokane to the Spokane Raceway to watch the local races on Saturday night. It was around dusk right before the Final Heats for the night. I remember facing west, watching the sunset; then seeing that row of beautiful Chevelles, Camaros, Cudas, Mustangs, Javelins and C2 Corvettes all with just their parking lights on. It hit me then; those old cars are classic, and beautiful. It's American history. And I like to keep that history alive.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Nah, its not weird. It just wouldnt be Spring if you didnt have to get the car out of storage, call and reactivate your insurance, and spend atleast a week getting the carb tuned correctly and ign. timing set! It always takes about a week to get it running tip-top again! Or alteast it did my 66 Mustang!
LOL I'm so glad I don't have to go through that trouble.. I prefer cleaning the car twice a week any day (er, all year round)!

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Yep. It's car show season again.
Darn tootin' it is :).

Man ... went for a drive in the '87 MC LS Sunday afternoon and, despite the "cooler temps", still saw a few older cars venture out into the brilliant sunshine. Still a bit early for my older 4 MCs, yet....but, SOON!!!!!!!!!!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I saw an old Malibu" ... Doug Stone ... 'I Thought It Was You'

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's a shame that so many of the old "drive-ins" are disappearing around here.
So true, some of my fondest memories are going to the Drive-In! There used to be atleast 6 around me and in the last 10 years all but 2 have closed. With my favorite one closing just last year!(In front of IRP, was closed to make room for a speed shop). It has been one of my dreams since I was a kid to open a Drive-In theater!

LOL I'm so glad I don't have to go through that trouble.. I prefer cleaning the car twice a week any day (er, all year round)!
How can you tell its spring if you dont have to get out the car, inflate the 4 flat tires, charge the dead battery, and fumigate the town with 5 moth old gas & cobwebs that blow out the tail pipe in a coughing, eyewatering fury????

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I drove the 1981 on Saturday and Sunday. Nice driving it. I tried to fix the leaks on either side of the trunk. Kind of a poor usage of chauking but it should work in a pinch. It leaks in the seam going from the back window to the trunk itself. Busted a few of the plastic clips getting the moulding off so I could try to get the panel off between the back window and the trunk. Never did succeed. So I just chauked those openings.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
How can you tell its spring if you dont have to get out the car, inflate the 4 flat tires, charge the dead battery, and fumigate the town with 5 moth old gas & cobwebs that blow out the tail pipe in a coughing, eyewatering fury????
Haha, by the trees? And by it suddenly going from being super nice outside to a mildly annoying & humid 86° every day?

Just throwing it out there.. lol!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts