GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It looks like it held up pretty well. But $6,000? Yikes.

The CUE comment was pretty spot-on!

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Usually when you see damage on a car like this, repair goes much deeper than skin.. sometimes.. Labor too is expensive. .. plus they might have to repaint the whole side of the car.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I had a "white van" change lanes into me in my G8 and the repairs where 3600 BONES the boss of the driver that hit me paid the bill to "save" his insurance rate
and the ONLY noticeable damage was the front of the right front fender was curled in and the front bumper was pulled forward and loose

·
Registered
5,554 Posts

Car & Driver

Almost $6,000 in damage. Ouch.
Welcome to the new world of overpriced labor and insurance/bodyshop scam practices...my Regal Turbo after first snow storm fender bender last December they "had to" replace front and rear bumper, the hood and A/C condenser, the car suffered $13.5K claim and 2 months in the shop until all the parts were delivered. I can write a nice review about Mazda 6 as a rental I had during that time...grrr.

·
Premium Member
36,402 Posts
He was lucky it hit there instead of two feet higher.

We were driving across an Interstate bridge some years back. Someone lost a wheel/tire combo, probably part of a dually but that's just a guess because I didn't see anyone sliding to a stop over there.

One large wheel/tire was bouncing down the interstare in the oncoming lane. Only a 4' median fence between traffic lanes. That damn wheel was bouncing quite nicely on its merry way and if it had slammed oncoming traffic it easily could have killed or maimed someone or caused a multi-car pile-up.

We drove past so we didn't see where it stopped. Nothing in the news so nobody was snuffed. But no damn fun to watch, fershur. :drive:

·
Registered
487 Posts
If he hit a "chunk of a truck tire" then I'd wager that means blowout or tread shear - either way those bits of metal and rubber are more than capable of killing a human being dead or going right through a glass windshield/window. Not a small amount of energy potentially slammed into the CTS, so honestly I'd say it did okay, considering all said and done.

I'm also amazed C&D didnt complain about the repair bill - that said I'd wager the clips, parking sensor, and the LED marker light didn't need replacement. Additionally, at that price for the headlight, they got the entire assembly with drivers and all - you can actually order parts of the sub assembly (but again, the shop is likely trying to get every dime, especially when they know the car is from a magazine that won't just pay every dime they ask for - they'll happily overpay.

C&D also lacks the skill and knowledge to show the damage under the hood, which is where a lot of that labor came from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts