GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Why can't we have both? Offer everything and let the free market decide.
Because the central planners, California and Joe. Are smarter than we are and know better.

Reactions: RamJet502

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
As much as a fish needs a bicycle. HSR is grossly uncompetitive, unneeded, and obsolete.

10 Reasons Not to Build High-Speed Rail
As much as I love trains, I feel like these 10 reasons ring true. No one will want this in their backyard, so all of these people will become environmentalists to protect the rare and microscopic purple booted booby that happens to live in all the land that high speed rail will be built on. Therefore it will require years of study and costs. Recently, in my area, a one lane route was expanded to a highway. The environmentalists made them build a lit turtle tunnel at the cost of $1 million if I recall correctly**. And this highway is only 5 or 10 miles long. I've read that most subway systems are not profitable, I don't see why high speed rail will be any different other than costing even more money.

I don't think something like this can be built in the USA. To expensive, to much competing tech and cars/highway/airplane are just easier in most cases.

The hyperloop tech + Musk's Boring Company seems superior to trains. I say let private companies build this infrastructure and not enter any state owned boondoggles like California's high speed rail.

One thought that might be telling. As far as I know all high speed trains are state sponsored, other than scenario's like Spain where private ownership is more of a sleight of hand to hide government debt. In other words, why no private investment? I suspect that means there isn't a chance of making a profit. Yet private companies are looking at the Hyperloop - makes me think profits are possible.

**Robert Miller: How box turtles use the $1 million corridor built for them (newstimes.com) here we go. 2.3 miles of highway cost $87 million to build almost a decade ago. Plain, old boring highway at $87MM - there is your reason high speed train won't work in the USA. I don't mind the wildlife tunnel as it keeps the animals out of the highway, I suspect in the long run it will save people more money in repairs from hitting them - animals are happy because they are alive and I'm happy because I don't have a $2k repair bill.

·
Premium Member
35,869 Posts
As much as a fish needs a bicycle. HSR is grossly uncompetitive, unneeded, and obsolete.

10 Reasons Not to Build High-Speed Rail
Just like you, gkr, to confuse the matter with facts! Don't you understand how groovey and far out HSR is? Think, no dream, of those eleventy-forty-forty miles of HSR so far laid down by the pointy-heads in Caracasafornia, don't you know how groovey that is? And it was cheap. And the remainder will be done in the blink of an eye! Can a man, or even a birthperson, not dream??

In the minus column, it would be around 2222 at the earliest that half that pipe dream would be built. On the positive side, the $6 TRILLION proposed for "infrastructure" by some people in Worshington whose grasp of reality demands they be institutionalized, might start to pay for it! There's always hope, just like The Dope From Hope said so many times. I think.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts