GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals when do you think automakers will come out with car bumpers that won't be as lousy as we have nowdays? I find it interesting no one is trying to build the better bumper lol.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
...or you could just not run into things

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
get a backup camera, heck some CURB FEELERS would help too

·
Registered
224 Posts
i know what you mean my moms 2008 yukon got hit yesterday in a parking lot the lady was nice enough to leave a not but it bent the plastic in and took some of the paint off and scratched the tail light. It will probably be over 1500 to get it fixed.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
What do you want them to build? If they build them stronger, the frame and other parts of the vehicle will get affected. They are built to absorb hits and be replaceable. Cost is your concern? Anything that comes from a manufacturer's factory will be pricey if you go OEM. It costs alot to insure those union workers!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
$5k is pretty extreme for a "bumper job". I think bumpers do a fine job overall, they are aerodynamic and they look good. Behind the bumper cover is the ugly steel beam that will save your hide in a real crash.

Personally, I thank God we don't have to look at bumpers like this anymore:

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Well now everything is meant to just kinda fall apart and take the damage vs. you taking the damage. Also more and more "body shops" are getting out of the body work business and really just order the part and stick it on for you, which is much more expensive.

Also the lower front and rear fascias are seeming to be some sort of plastic, which has to be heated up to reshape...so its easier just order the part, but also more expensive.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When I got my Trans AM I thought it's "bumper" (well the rear kind of has one but the front doesn't) wouldn't do any thing in a crash. My previous car was a 1990 Dodge Omni with huge metal bumpers that got hit hard a time or 2 and I received no damage at all. I was driving home one day in the TA when traffic stopped and the car behind me didn't. Her Neon hit me so hard it pushed my car 2 car lengths forward and into the back of a Mustang. I was shocked when there was no visible damage to my car, she hit me so hard I couldn't turn my head for a week. The rear bumper on our 97 Taurus also held up good to a very hard hit from a Safari van.

Now my friends 02 Lancer bumper will break apart and be completely destroyed when hit and their 04 Camry bumpers are also easily damaged (they have both been hit before). It seems to me that the newer the car is the worse it's bumpers are. As flimsy feeling as the ones on our IS350 are I know they would fly apart if struck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am just saying bulild a bumper that doesn't crack and re molds back to its original state. That would be awesome if you got into a wreck and the bumper would come back to its original state. We have great technology to come up with better quality bumpers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.