GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews.../luxury_sedans/2009_lincoln_mks_awd_road_test

Highs: Classy textures inside blinged up with chrome jewelry, superlegible dash display, easy-to-use navigation.

Lows: Michelin 20-inchers add steering quirks, Mary J. Blige buzzes the trim, being seen behind that grille.

The Verdict: Maybe Ford is in the dumps, but this new Lincoln grabs some high ground.

To your list of things that will never happen, you can add one more: The hot-blooded pilotes of this staff will never rank this new Lincoln above a BMW, any BMW, in a comparison test. But the Supreme Court is not the only enclave of divided opinions; the contrarians among us think Ford has something going on here.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I'm really confused.

It doesn't drive as perfectly as a BMW, but interior quality exceeds Lexus, and the ride matches the E-Class?

It almost sounded like they LIKED it.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Edited to more accurately reflect reality. Just my opinion!
Well... this IS the same magazine where the M3 beat both the 911 Turbo and Nissan GT-R.

I'm awaiting the first comparison test with the MKS versus other V6 AWD luxury sedans. It would probably look like this:

1. BMW 535xi
2. Infiniti M35x
3. MB E350 4MATIC
4. Audi A6 3.2 Quattro
5. Lexus GS350 AWD
6. Lincoln MKS AWD
7. Cadillac STS4
8. Volvo S80 T6 AWD
9. Acura RL

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The interior is stunning! And it's also comfortable, I am 6'4", and hit my head in the CTS, also it's kind of tight fitting (CTS):eek:. The SYNC system (Microsoft-Ford) adds a real treat to someone like me that loves using technology while driving. I am curious to see when Microsoft will integrate it with my laptop, it operates in voice-mode also if I choose.:)

The Lincoln MKS, with the Ecoboost is definitely in the running for replacement of my 2006 STS. I am already replacing my 1999 STS with a Mercury Mariner Hybrid, perhaps I can get a special 2 car deal. I have owned FORD cars in years past, and have enjoyed trouble free ownership, it's great that a company didn't forget it's customer base. The only other car I was considering was the Jaguar XF, but I was awaiting the new V8, however the Lincoln with the EB will offer the same power level, at a more reasonable price point, a win, win!:yup:

:drive:

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
The interior is stunning! And it's also comfortable, I am 6'4", and hit my head in the CTS, also it's kind of tight fitting (CTS):eek:. The SYNC system (Microsoft-Ford) adds a real treat to someone like me that loves using technology while driving. I am curious to see when Microsoft will integrate it with my laptop, it operates in voice-mode also if I choose.:)

The Lincoln MKS, with the Ecoboost is definitely in the running for replacement of my 2006 STS. I am already replacing my 1999 STS with a Mercury Mariner Hybrid, perhaps I can get a special 2 car deal. I have owned FORD cars in years past, and have enjoyed trouble free ownership, it's great that a company didn't forget it's customer base. The only other car I was considering was the Jaguar XF, but I was awaiting the new V8, however the Lincoln with the EB will offer the same power level, at a more reasonable price point, a win, win!:yup:

***sarcasm on***

But, but, but... it's FWD! It's based on a Ford Taurus! It's a V6! How can you possibly consider it a credible luxury car?!!!

***sarcasm off***

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Well... this IS the same magazine where the M3 beat both the 911 Turbo and Nissan GT-R.

I'm awaiting the first comparison test with the MKS versus other V6 AWD luxury sedans. It would probably look like this:

1. BMW 535xi
2. Infiniti M35x
3. MB E350 4MATIC
4. Audi A6 3.2 Quattro
5. Lexus GS350 AWD
6. Lincoln MKS AWD
7. Cadillac STS4
8. Volvo S80 T6 AWD
9. Acura RL
This is evidence that all the calls for Cadillac to be "BMW" are a mistake, IMO. The fact that these cars sell is proof to me not everyone wants a BMW. And that you can make money offering alternatives. Further, a lot of the BMW buyers are buying an image or they are of the school that anything built outside the US is automatically superior. I don't believe they would buy/shop a Cadillac if their lives depended on it. Even if said Cadillac was demonstrably superior in every way.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
davidlane,
A few years ago I would have disagreed with you. But last fall I spent a few days with some moderately wealthy friends of ours. They buy luxury cars, and would not even consider the idea of a luxury car that is not German. The very idea was alien to them.
So you may be right.

***sarcasm on***

But, but, but... it's FWD! It's based on a Ford Taurus! It's a V6! How can you possibly consider it a credible luxury car?!!!

***sarcasm off***
:D

A recent example of your point is the 2009 Mazda 6, which is much larger and much more powerful than the previous version. Edmunds.com 's editors admitted in the review of the new model that the automotive press adored the previous 6 but the actual buyers (the people who might, you know, give Mazda a sale) skipped it.

The same goes for the MKS. The enthusiast automotive press - which is most of the automotive press - is lukewarm. But for the hundreds of thousands of luxury car owners who want comfort more than sport, it looks to be a very solid product.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
***sarcasm on***

***sarcasm off***
***Reality On***

So is my 1999 STS and I love it! So was my 1985 Seville Touring Sedan, and engine aside, it drove great! Please remember this is the USA, I have driven a Porsche Turbo on the autobahn, and though I have been taught to drive professsionally; I don't really care about AWD, FWD, or RWD, for my day to day driving.

Also consider that my next milestone birthday (a few years away) is 60. I won't be spinning many laps around a track. If I cared about that kind of car I'd buy an M6 or SL65.

***Reality Off****

·
Registered
505 Posts
I saw one on the road yesterday and it looked squished front to back (it would have looked better like a foot longer) and the taillights looked cheesy, I have to say I was much more impressed by the photos, the real thing was kind of a let down.....

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
What's wrong with the lincoln grill?
I think it is easily the most attractive grill in that luxury segement.
Sorry caddy and BMW, Lincoln has it in spades in that department. Very stylish.

I love the MKS.
I bet I will really love the boosted model, especially since it will be affordable and usable all year round, unlike some other performance luxury machines.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

1. BMW 535xi
2. Infiniti M35x
3. MB E350 4MATIC
4. Audi A6 3.2 Quattro
5. Lexus GS350 AWD
6. Lincoln MKS AWD
7. Cadillac STS4
8. Volvo S80 T6 AWD
9. Acura RL
The E60 5-series (excluding M5) has never won a Car and Driver comparo as far as I know-it's lost at least two, placing as low as sixth in one. Even the M5 placed last the in the most recent comparo it was in. As a matter of fact the 3-series is the only BMW that C/D consistently favors.

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews.../luxury_sedans/2009_lincoln_mks_awd_road_test

Highs: Classy textures inside blinged up with chrome jewelry, superlegible dash display, easy-to-use navigation.

Lows: Michelin 20-inchers add steering quirks, Mary J. Blige buzzes the trim, being seen behind that grille.

The Verdict: Maybe Ford is in the dumps, but this new Lincoln grabs some high ground.

To your list of things that will never happen, you can add one more: The hot-blooded pilotes of this staff will never rank this new Lincoln above a BMW, any BMW, in a comparison test. But the Supreme Court is not the only enclave of divided opinions; the contrarians among us think Ford has something going on here.
AWD steering quirks or just with the FWD?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wow, almost $49K for the version they tested...ouch. It's a decent car, but if I wanted one I'd wait 2 years and pick up a used one for less than half of that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts