GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Cadillac ATS-V Sedan Manual
Building a performance reputation, one brick at a time.
Car and Driver
By Pearley Huffman
June 2016

The manual transmission creates a more direct connection between driver and car. You can feel torque surging up through the shifter in your hand, and you know the precise moment when the clutch engages through the pedal as your toes rise with it. This is high-level mechanical intimacy.

While the stick brings additional amusement, what’s best about the ATS-V remains its spectacularly well-tuned chassis, which is enhanced with magnetorheological dampers. With the best initial turn-in bite of any sports sedan, it’s great when hustling at speed and a blast on a tight, narrow road, where one-quarter throttle is enough to entertain. The steering is so good and so satisfying in its feedback that merely commuting can be the highlight of your day.

The ATS-V’s seamless performance is in stark contrast to the seam-busting slamfest that is its radical big brother, the CTS-V, which starts at $84,990. With its 640-hp 6.2-liter supercharged V-8, the CTS-V is the Cadillac for those who prefer getting their ton of bricks delivered all at once. The choice is yours.
*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
This is such a beautiful car. So much so that I am always confused when posters here call its styling boring.
The V's look fine. The other ones are boring, watered down A&S designed for the Chinese.
I'm a huge fan of the earlier polarizing Art & Science cars. I still think an XLR looks really cool, like a stealth fighter going down the road.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Didn't the 2016 ATS get the new CUE brains?

That blue color is freaking fantastic.
Yes, 2016 got an update to the hardware for CUE.

And yes, that color is amazing.

The ATS-V Sedan is at the top of my current "what is my next car?" listing. I just need to evaluate the rear seat room in-person. My car won't be the primary hauler of my kid and her rear-facing child seat, but it would be nice to know that it would fit if the need arises. Otherwise, I think I'll be getting a CTS V-sport (CTS-V is a bit out of my price range).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, 2016 got an update to the hardware for CUE.

And yes, that color is amazing.

The ATS-V Sedan is at the top of my current "what is my next car?" listing. I just need to evaluate the rear seat room in-person. My car won't be the primary hauler of my kid and her rear-facing child seat, but it would be nice to know that it would fit if the need arises. Otherwise, I think I'll be getting a CTS V-sport (CTS-V is a bit out of my price range).
I think the comments about rear legroom are a little off. I never had a backward facing car seat, but I did run a forward facing car seat with my son who was 3 when I first purchased the car. I am 6' 2" and I could sit comfortably in front of his seat in my ATS. My older son who was 7 at the time actually fit better in the ATS than the 3 series or S4. He is 9 now and pretty tall for his age, and still fits behind me with no problem. I can actually sit in the rear seat if needed. I wouldn't say it is ideal, but it is fine for my use. I recently had my two kids (5 and 9) and a neighbor kid all in the back at once. It worked just fine.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have yet to find anything from those competitors that, imo, looked as great as what was on the Cadillac floor. IMO, only the S-Class Coupe, and 6 Series GC stand out
Now you just need to ask a sales representative on that Cadillac floor to take an Alpha platform Cadillac, especially a 'V' variant, outside for a test drive. :)

Even those who don't particularly like Cadillac's styling will concede that ATS and CTS deliver class best chassis dynamics.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great car, it really is. It's too bad Chevy isn't making a 4 door sport sedan on this chassis that mimics the Camaro specs, because this is $20k more than a Camaro SS, and no faster. I know everyone is going to say they don't compete, but at the rate the ATS is selling at, it doesn't really compete with anything(haha). I know the perception is that the V6TT is more sophisticated than the "old" pushrod LT1. Too bad it weighs more, is more complicated, and probably not as durable. Still a cool car, but wouldn't have sold any worse, and could've cost them less to build with the LT1.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Great car, it really is. It's too bad Chevy isn't making a 4 door sport sedan on this chassis that mimics the Camaro specs, because this is $20k more than a Camaro SS, and no faster. I know everyone is going to say they don't compete, but at the rate the ATS is selling at, it doesn't really compete with anything(haha). I know the perception is that the V6TT is more sophisticated than the "old" pushrod LT1. Too bad it weighs more, is more complicated, and probably not as durable. Still a cool car, but wouldn't have sold any worse, and could've cost them less to build with the LT1.
I think if the SS sedan was selling better we would definitely be seeing a next gen version on Alpha or Omega. I do think the TTV6 was the right move, just needs a higher tune, have the torque peak sooner, and the dual mode exhaust.

I do wish they would do a street ATS-VR w/ 525hp

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think if the SS sedan was selling better we would definitely be seeing a next gen version on Alpha or Omega. I do think the TTV6 was the right move, just needs a higher tune, have the torque peak sooner, and the dual mode exhaust.

I do wish they would do a street ATS-VR w/ 525hp
They're only selling as many SS's as they want to. It's hard on their CAFE, and there isn't much margin. They don't advertise it at all.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The CUE complaints are tired.
CUE itself is tired. I wouldn't be surprised if next generation Cadillac infotainment systems follow the design of BMW's latest iDrive system in the G11/G12 7-Series with multiple user input methods including gesture recognition.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
CUE itself is tired. I wouldn't be surprised if next generation Cadillac infotainment systems follow the design of BMW's latest iDrive system in the G11/G12 7-Series with multiple user input methods including gesture recognition.
......have you not seen the CT6.........
90% of the gesture systems go unused.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
......have you not seen the CT6.........
Yup, I got to try out the CT6's updated CUE system recently. It's definitely an improvement over the original design; the inclusion of the touchpad alone is a major step forward.

Why not a controller knob, though?

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Yup, I got to try out the CT6's updated CUE system recently. It's definitely an improvement over the original design; the inclusion of the touchpad alone is a major step forward.

Why not a controller knob, though?
Too difficult to do handwriting on the top especially for Chinese characters. It can cause you to spin the knob instead of writing the character.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Too difficult to do handwriting on the top especially for Chinese characters. It can cause you to spin the knob instead of writing the character.
Ah, hadn't thought about the situation for written Chinese. Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts