GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I love the caddy. But a college kid can't do all of the things for her that a Caddy enthusiast can. So. Should I find the courage to sell her off and buy a new car, the Caprice/Roadmaster Wagons have caught my eye. They're pretty much just what I want in my second car. Space, V8, and you don't see many on the road. Here anyways. So tell me, are there any bugs I should know about? Did the LT1 dish out problems left and right? Electrical problems? If I'm going to replace the caddy I want something that will be worth what's left of my cash. Cheerio.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
LT1 & L99 are very expen$ive to repair over the TBI's...yes the LT1 is faster, but you'll pay for it!!!

TBI V8 parts are cheaper overall and very common to find, they'll run forever...

I have a 1993 Roadmaster sedan the last 10 months, and back in 1995 I bought a program 1994 Caprice L99 sedan to which I put 40K miles on...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on...one of the ones I'm looking at is at a Jeep/Chrylser dealership in Chicago. It's red with wood paneling (perhaps an aquired taste?) but it looks clean. You can just never be too sure when buying an older used car, I don't wanna get lemoned. Then again, I work at a chevy dealership in good company, I'm sure they'd help me out should things get ugly. I just don't have alot of extra scratch to pay for repairs.

So, yeah. I see you're the parts manager. Our parts guys are pretty cool, I've heard stories of some pretty pissy parts guys, I guess I dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Right on...one of the ones I'm looking at is at a Jeep/Chrylser dealership in Chicago. It's red with wood paneling (perhaps an aquired taste?) but it looks clean. You can just never be too sure when buying an older used car, I don't wanna get lemoned. Then again, I work at a chevy dealership in good company, I'm sure they'd help me out should things get ugly. I just don't have alot of extra scratch to pay for repairs.

So, yeah. I see you're the parts manager. Our parts guys are pretty cool, I've heard stories of some pretty pissy parts guys, I guess I dodged a bullet.
:hijack:
Last time I was in the Quad Cities & Dubuque, about a month ago now...I saw a fair amount of these B bodies still on the road! I actually took my roadmaster out to work yesterday afternoon, then I washed it and garaged it again...43 miles driven on the car since thanksgiving weekend 2007...

Parts guys do get pissy, we put up with a lot of crap from time to time!:rolleyes:

Glad to hear you got a good staff...my department is a pretty good group of guys...we'll be expanding this late summer into fall and possibly adding another counterman & another driver!;)

:hijack:

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Back before I decided on the Toronado......I was considering the Caprice wagon, given that space & power are excellent for that kind of vehicle....

I found several very good examples in/around the Omaha Metro Area (a couple hrs. from Cedar Falls.....but not too far IMO)

1986 Caprice Wagon ($5,950/43,265mi)
Copple Chevrolet-GMC--Louisville, NE (just south of Omaha)
*VERY GOOD condition for its age!*

1993 Caprice Classic Wagon ($4,500/94,795mi)

Eastep's Wheels--Lincoln, NE
*5.7L L05 V8 (LT1 Predecessor)*

1994 Caprice Classic Wagon ($4,495/135K mi)
The Internet Car Lot--Omaha, NE
*5.7L LT1 V8*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts