GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Impala to CT to get the oil changed last night because I really don't have the time to do it myself now. That was a mistake.

They somehow ****ed up the hood latch/didn't close it because when I drove away, I got up to the speed limit and BANG! Hood flies up and backwards at 70 KPH and smashes the **** out of my windshield and destroyed the hood. That was my single scariest driving experience ever. Luckily there were no cars coming and when the hood folded back it brought the bottom up far enough that I could see where I was going by lowering my head a few inches. Ended up pulling over without crashing.

I forced the hood back down and latched it, and the latch holds, so it was definitely not the latches fault. So now the windshield is shattered, the hood has more dings in it than the moon and the back corners of the hood ruined both fenders too.

Took it back to the store, and they are denying responsibility. I'm looking at $2000 in damage at least, depending on the cost for a windshield. I know they are at fault. It's never happened before, because I actually close the hood when I finish working on a car, and it happened right as I drove away from the shop after they worked on it. So now i have no idea what I'm going to do.

The best part is I have to leave it there because they have a policy of not letting you drive away in an unsafe vehicle, so I was told I have to leave it there until i let them fix it...and bill ME!!!!!!!! I don't fkin think so. They are licensed to do out annual safety inspections as well, and any other shop if your car fails, you get a red sticker saying you can drive it for 10 days while you fix it. These crooks do not follow that government rule and hijack your car which forces you to pay them for any work instead of doing it yourself, unless you hire a tow truck. Bunch of fkin scam artists there.

So here I sit without my car, gonna contact a lawyer over this, because there is no way in hell I am responsible for their screw up. Like to sue them azzwipes for endangerment too, but I'll be content with getting my car fixed.

Jesus, I'm just so pissed right now, ruined my whole weekend.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Take your complaint to the corporation, most Canadian Tire locations are franchises and don't want to be out of pocket for claims. I used to work for them. Cars falling off lifts and small fires were pretty par for the course. I've heard of wheels falling off after leaving as well.....

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
sue there ass for stupidity.

of course its there fault, they were the last ones to touch it.
they did an oil change, better check that to, if the genius cant figure out how to close the damn hood properly, he probably didnt do the simple task of changing oil properly either. if it were a latch failure, GM would cover it under warranty. if its still under coverage.

i would be pissed off as well, especially since they denied it. it would be one thing if they said, oh yeah sorry bout that, we will fix it. but no, they decide to say its nothing involving them. hhhhheeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
When you had picked up the car did the hood look as though it was closed properly? Did you notice that it was up a bit, as in the not latched position?

If it looked closed all the way but came open it was probably a problem with the latch. Have you had any problems with the hood closing and latching before? Did you ever have to put extra pressure on it or anything to make sure it was latched properly?

It's pretty easy to spot an unlatched hood because it will show a gap between the hood and bumper or hood and fenders or what not.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
^ This wouldn't be the first instance of CT screwing things up here in Canadaland. I've heard lots of stories. Fortunately for the one time I used CT, nothing got screwed up but like I said, I hear these stories everywhere.

Sue their ass off for this. But I would contact corporate to see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
That's what you get for driving with your hood not completely closed.

If you can't see/notice that your hood is slightly open, you shouldn't even be on the road... you're supposed to be using your eyes while driving.

Good thing you didn't have a hot cup of McD coffee in your hand when it happened, otherwise the surprise/shock might have made you drop it on yourself and you'd probably now be suing them because you got burned.

·
Registered
82 Posts

If you can't see/notice that your hood is slightly open, you shouldn't even be on the road... you're supposed to be using your eyes while driving.

Good thing you didn't have a hot cup of McD coffee in your hand when it happened, otherwise the surprise/shock might have made you drop it on yourself and you'd probably now be suing them because you got burned.
Wow you must be friends with my bro who says after he forgot to put oil in a car after an oil change "well it's their fault for bringing their car to me in the first place"

Mike

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

Nice way to accuse someone of something without knowing the full extent of the situation. He said he picked it up at night. Maybe it was dark and he couldn't see it.

Its just so funny how you're so quick to judge. You probably feel so big being an e-thug. I'm sure you're flawless in everything you do.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you had picked up the car did the hood look as though it was closed properly? Did you notice that it was up a bit, as in the not latched position?

If it looked closed all the way but came open it was probably a problem with the latch. Have you had any problems with the hood closing and latching before? Did you ever have to put extra pressure on it or anything to make sure it was latched properly?

It's pretty easy to spot an unlatched hood because it will show a gap between the hood and bumper or hood and fenders or what not.
It is only a couple years old, and the safety latch closes under it's own weight, and from there it can be fully locked down with a couple fingers. I'm assuming maybe the left a wrench or maybe the cover to an oil bottle there or something, no idea, there was nothing there when I got out of the car after the incident.

$2k for a hood and windshield? A little high, no?
Whole front end will need to be blended, mismatched paint will not fly.

At night in the rain, I do apologize for not examining the car. I don't want to sue people, if I did, I'd be rich from suing the hospital after I was injected with 25cc's instead of 2.5cc's and nearly died. But I didn't, because **** happens. Why didn't THEY notice the hood wasn't closed? They spent the last half hour working on it. I don't want to sue anyone, I am just pissed off that they somehow think something that happens two minutes after they give me my car back isn't related to them working on it.

I just want my car properly fixed, I'm not suing anyone for endangerment, I just think that if they are going to portray themselves as a professional shop, they should be doing their damn job properly.

If only we could all be as perfect as you though.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
It is only a couple years old, and the safety latch closes under it's own weight, and from there it can be fully locked down with a couple fingers. I'm assuming maybe the left a wrench or maybe the cover to an oil bottle there or something, no idea, there was nothing there when I got out of the car after the incident.

Whole front end will need to be blended, mismatched paint will not fly.

At night in the rain, I do apologize for not examining the car. I don't want to sue people, if I did, I'd be rich from suing the hospital after I was injected with 25cc's instead of 2.5cc's and nearly died. But I didn't, because **** happens. Why didn't THEY notice the hood wasn't closed? They spent the last half hour working on it. I don't want to sue anyone, I am just pissed off that they somehow think something that happens two minutes after they give me my car back isn't related to them working on it.

I just want my car properly fixed, I'm not suing anyone for endangerment, I just think that if they are going to portray themselves as a professional shop, they should be doing their damn job properly.

If only we could all be as perfect as you though.
When did I ever say I was perfect? I do take responsability for my own actions though.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
On my Saab it goes like that, except there is a kind of cantilever/bracket arrangement that puts the front of the hood up, then down over the grille / headlamps, makes working on the engine a breeze :D I've even replaced cylinder heads and such without touching the hood, and the bracket arrangement works really well as a handle to carry the hood as well when it is removed (it is quite large)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 33 Posts