GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we are supposed to hate all Japanese cars...but I just can't not love this thing, and Canadian Driver seems to feel the same way in the First Test.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/09gtr.htm

Canadiandriver said:
One of the most exciting cars you'll be able to buy in 2008," the 480-hp, AWD Nissan GT-R is "an everyday supercar, but... with a distinctly Japanese flavour," reports contributor, Laurance Yap. It goes on sale this summer for $81,900.
Not a full test, but the first one I've seen in NA with a LHD version.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
^^^I am with you, I think its a awesome car! It will be a good competitor to the Vette! I am all for the GT-R, If I had the money I would deffinatly own one. The only thing I dont like is the lack of a manual tranny. That and the fact its called GT-R instead of Skyline! I would rathar it be called Skyline or Skyline GT-R!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^I am with you, I think its a awesome car! It will be a good competitor to the Vette! I am all for the GT-R, If I had the money I would deffinatly own one. The only thing I dont like is the lack of a manual tranny. That and the fact its called GT-R instead of Skyline! I would rathar it be called Skyline or Skyline GT-R!
I couldn't agree more, at the very least offer both types of transmissions. And everyone knows that a Skyline is an epic name, I don't understand why they wouldn't use that name either.

The very mention of "Skyline" invokes images of utter coolness.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I saw one getting on to the freeway a few weeks ago, they look much better in person than in pictures. It was red with dark accents. It was going the other way so I didn't have a chance to snap a phone pic.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The GT-R really is an amazing car!! I wish we had something like that from an American company!! im sry but i dont think a RWD 'Vette Z06 has a chance against the GT-R!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meh. Corvette's still better.
It's a different sort of car. It's like riding a CBR600, then a 1000. The litre bike is faster, but it's not as point and shoot accurate, relies on torque over precision. I just think the GTR would be a blast to drive around a track, all the screens and gizmo's, would just be fun. I wont venture a guess on which one would be faster on a road course though. I think the Nissan is heavier, which might negate some of the AWD advantage. ZR1 shoulda got AWD.....

Give me a corvette
No, you give me one.

I saw one getting on to the freeway a few weeks ago, they look much better in person than in pictures. It was red with dark accents. It was going the other way so I didn't have a chance to snap a phone pic.
Shame, I'd like to see one in something other than Boring Silver.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I couldn't agree more, at the very least offer both types of transmissions. And everyone knows that a Skyline is an epic name, I don't understand why they wouldn't use that name either.

The very mention of "Skyline" invokes images of utter coolness.
I believe the manual trans will make its debut on the V-Spec model, at least it is rumored.

I'm sure you know why they don't use the name 'Skyline', but just to recap and for those that don't know. Since this car is one off and no longer based on the actual Skyline car, the G here in the states, they decided to ex that part of the name.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The GT-R really is an amazing car!! I wish we had something like that from an American company!! im sry but i dont think a RWD 'Vette Z06 has a chance against the GT-R!
Not likely.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
It's got a history and it'll attract its own fan club. However, it doesn't compete with a Corvette, or Porsche or Ferrari.

I think it's a special class all its own, sort of like "super coupe" or uber pony/muscle car or something. It's just too tall to look at in terms of sports car as this photo on Jalopnik illustrates.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I believe the manual trans will make its debut on the V-Spec model, at least it is rumored.
I though I read the Spec-V was getting the auto also, hope it does get the manual!

I'm sure you know why they don't use the name 'Skyline', but just to recap and for those that don't know. Since this car is one off and no longer based on the actual Skyline car, the G here in the states, they decided to ex that part of the name.
The latest Japanese market Skyline was bassed on the G, and they still called it skyline! I don't think its a good excuse not to call it Skyline!

It's a different sort of car.
totally agree, we finally get the "Skyline" here and now everyone hates it! I have been wishing for the Skyline for years. The GT-R is a badass "budget" supercar, it will compete with the Vette for handling and speed but it is a totally different kind of car. They are both AWESOME cars, I dont know why everyone has to hate on the GT-R?

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
I though I read the Spec-V was getting the auto also, hope it does get the manual!

The latest Japanese market Skyline was bassed on the G, and they still called it skyline! I don't think its a good excuse not to call it Skyline!

totally agree, we finally get the "Skyline" here and now everyone hates it! I have been wishing for the Skyline for years. The GT-R is a badass "budget" supercar, it will compete with the Vette for handling and speed but it is a totally different kind of car. They are both AWESOME cars, I dont know why everyone has to hate on the GT-R?
Not sure if it's a "hate on" but I think folks are bit disgusted by the comparisons with the Corvette. The cars are, as you point out, in different classes.

If I was looking for an uber-coupe I'd look at the GTR first. The price is a bit off-putting, but without a proper GTO from GM this is the next most interesting thing to me. Although the 911 has two rear seats it's just not my cup of tea and the M6, though great in terms of performance, is ugly to my eyes.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Not sure if it's a "hate on" but I think folks are bit disgusted by the comparisons with the Corvette. The cars are, as you point out, in different classes.

If I was looking for an uber-coupe I'd look at the GTR first. The price is a bit off-putting, but without a proper GTO from GM this is the next most interesting thing to me. Although the 911 has two rear seats it's just not my cup of tea and the M6, though great in terms of performance, is ugly to my eyes.
It is deffinatly a uber-coupe, and a great one at that. I see no problem with compairing it to the Vette, they are both great cars and I can apperciate them both for their qualities! Yes the 911 has rear seats, but the GT-R does also, it is a 2+2, rite? And as for the M6, it has to be the ugliest piece of trash I have ever seen, the M5 is a MUCH cooler car than the 6!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
It is deffinatly a uber-coupe, and a great one at that. I see no problem with compairing it to the Vette, they are both great cars and I can apperciate them both for their qualities! Yes the 911 has rear seats, but the GT-R does also, it is a 2+2, rite? And as for the M6, it has to be the ugliest piece of trash I have ever seen, the M5 is a MUCH cooler car than the 6!
Remind me to custom order an M6 then when I win the lottery! :p: :lmao:

·
Registered
185 Posts
For the price, I would take a Z06 over the GT-R any day. The heritage of the Vette is so much better than the GT-R and all around, I just feel that the Z06 is a better car. Also, who can go wrong with a 500hp car rated at 26mpg hwy and actually gets around 30+?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
For the price, I would take a Z06 over the GT-R any day. The heritage of the Vette is so much better than the GT-R and all around, I just feel that the Z06 is a better car. Also, who can go wrong with a 500hp car rated at 26mpg hwy and actually gets around 30+?
And on the other side of the planet they would say the same exact thing about the Skyline. The Skyline has a 50 year heritage, and I'm sure the 500hp 2.8 I6 TT Nismo tune engines get way up into the 20's in mileage (It is a 2.8 liter Inline 6 after all)! Same car, different culture.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For all those saying the 'Vette is a better car, what proof can you furnish? What makes it "better"? Both the 'Vette and GT-R are pure performance vehicles, and with price tags in the $70,000-80,000 range (I know a base Corvette can be had in the mid-$40,000 range, but c'mon), don't talk to me about fuel economy. Owners don't care.

But since both cars are pure performance, I think the ideal measure of which is "better" is the, well, performance. And since the 0-60 sprint is the automotive equivalent of timing a football player's 40-yard-dash, let's start there. Sources I've read place the GT-R anywhere between 3.3 and 3.5 seconds, which blows the doors off the Z06. Edmunds.com ran through the quarter-mile in 11.6 @ 118 mph, which is one-tenth of a second faster.

And whoever said the GT-R can't compete with the 911 obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. The GT-R was actually designed with the 911 Turbo in mind, and during testing regularly beat the Porsche on its home turf, the Nurburgring.

And since when is having back seats a disadvantage? So it doesn't qualify it as a "supercar", but if you can demolish a 'Vette while still having room for two more people, that sounds to me like a "better" car.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
For all those saying the 'Vette is a better car, what proof can you furnish? What makes it "better"? Both the 'Vette and GT-R are pure performance vehicles, and with price tags in the $70,000-80,000 range (I know a base Corvette can be had in the mid-$40,000 range, but c'mon), don't talk to me about fuel economy. Owners don't care.

But since both cars are pure performance, I think the ideal measure of which is "better" is the, well, performance. And since the 0-60 sprint is the automotive equivalent of timing a football player's 40-yard-dash, let's start there. Sources I've read place the GT-R anywhere between 3.3 and 3.5 seconds, which blows the doors off the Z06. Edmunds.com ran through the quarter-mile in 11.6 @ 118 mph, which is one-tenth of a second faster.

And whoever said the GT-R can't compete with the 911 obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. The GT-R was actually designed with the 911 Turbo in mind, and during testing regularly beat the Porsche on its home turf, the Nurburgring.

And since when is having back seats a disadvantage? So it doesn't qualify it as a "supercar", but if you can demolish a 'Vette while still having room for two more people, that sounds to me like a "better" car.
You need to be careful when comparing a quick car like the GT-R and a FAST car like the Z06. It might be a .10 seconds "quicker" in the quarter mile, but the Z06 traps 126-127MPH at the end of the 1/4 mile, so its a MUCH faster car, it just doesnt have the advantage of AWD like the GT-R.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts