1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada Becomes Latest Country To Ban Sale of Gas Vehicles
July 2, 2021
Lawrence Hodge

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...to-death-by-heatwave/ar-AALI9eC?ocid=msedgntp
Canada is following in the footsteps of places like California, the U.K., and France in becoming the latest government to set a target date for ending sales of gas cars. Reuters reported that on Tuesday the country’s Transport Minister Omar Alghabra set 2035 as the target year for a stop-sale on new gas cars and light-duty trucks. The country also set 2050 as the target for net-zero emissions.

“We are committed to aligning Canada’s zero-emission vehicles sales targets with those of the most ambitious North American jurisdictions.”

The government is aware that more needs to be done to prepare. Nearly half a billion dollars (U.S.) has already been put into a rebate program for EV purchases. Minster Alghabra was quoted as saying “We know that we need to do more.” but didn’t give specifics as to what “more” was.

Continues at link

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts
What idiots. By then the seas will have risen and the Canadian Sea will be, like, yooj! Stupid is as stupid does. Amazing how people jump on these bandwagons.:alien:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Stupid no nothin central plannin moranic yoooj gubmint idiots don't have no clue...my source down in the big lots storeroom tells me this globalooney warming is nothin but a hoax. /Thread

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts
Stupid no nothin central plannin moranic yoooj gubmint idiots don't have no clue...my source down in the big lots storeroom tells me this globalooney warming is nothin but a hoax. /Thread
Wha... Whoa... Did'ja hijack Neanderthal or somethin' for this post ?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Wha... Whoa... Did'ja hijack Neanderthal or somethin' for this post ?
How'd I do?

Re: the sales ban...regardless if they did or didn't 2035 is around the time that most, if not all automakers will be majority EV...Only ICE relics I see in 15 years would be the full size SUVs and maybe a few compact/midsize hybrids. And even they would have an EV counterpart.

So for me, this story doesn't move the needle at all. All this sales ban here is all political posturing...one side wants to take credit for something that would happen with/without them and the other side to rally folks against that movement.

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts
“Canadian sea”!! Lol.

And I’m kind of a news freak and I didn’t hear anything about this. Won’t happen
You underestimate the power of mother nature and agitprop. If globaloney warming and the rise of the oceans can be responsible for one Florida high rise collapsing, it sure can flood and create a Sea of Canada. Mother Nature has her ways. 🤓

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
You underestimate the power of mother nature and agitprop. If globaloney warming and the rise of the oceans can be responsible for one Florida high rise collapsing, it sure can flood and create a Sea of Canada. Mother Nature has her ways. 🤓
I think it would be a north American sea OR a VERY GREAT lake
we have a liberal government angling to go to an election right now and it is GOOD PR when they have a few VARY BAD bills dying in parliament ++ a town in BC had the record hottest day 3 days in a row and then burned to the ground hitting 120F

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,383 Posts
According to Gore the great inventor of the Internet, by now all the Canadian polar bears should be swimming in what should be Canadian tropical islands... of the coast of Saskatchewan

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
For an economy that is highly dependent on oil, this is really woke…
If this is like Norway, they'll continue to pump as much oil out of the ground as they can, sell it to anyone who will buy it, and think they're fighting climate change because they themselves aren't using it. Do they really think that makes sense?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts
If this is like Norway, they'll continue to pump as much oil out of the ground as they can, sell it to anyone who will buy it, and think they're fighting climate change because they themselves aren't using it. Do they really think that makes sense?
You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how these nut jobs operate, do as I say not as I do and the woke mentality et al.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The government wants revenue, but bans ICE cars because they provide more freedom of movement. Then you get electric cars that can be externally controlled, then "you will own nothing and you will like it, you will rent everything". But you will not rent if you displease the government. In any case we want you dead, sooner better than later, courtesy of the WEF.

·
Registered
353 Posts
All these decrees sound good on paper but I wonder what the market will think of it. Will most of the new cars for sale by then really be BEV? Will companies who abandoned ICE vehicles still be in business?

The three dimensional people I interact with on a regular basis don't seem convinced by the current crop of BEVs and thus are not eager to plunk down their dwindling value bucks for them. The BEV proponents seem convinced, but to me they sound a lot like kids whistling past the graveyard. Just because you say it doesn't mean it will happen.

Apropos of nothing, I don't think we've seen a working model of what will become the dominant power source that will replace ICE. It may be thrumming along in a lab or still bouncing around the brain pan of it's inventor. But it's not here yet. I think BEV will pull up lame at some point, I think fuel cells will have a go, maybe even hydrogen combustion. There are some breakthroughs in low energy use hydrogen production. But there are way more hurdles to the path to unseat ICE as the dominant power source. I think over the next 40-50 years there will be many choices, but it remains to be seen what will dominate. Only thing I know for sure is I'm not likely to be here to see it. But I think it will take that long to sort out.

The interesting part to me is that people seem willing to accept that ANY of these are more clean than the others. None of them are. Either in raw materials, production, or use they all have problems. And please. Renewable energy? Don't make me laugh. You better be hoping for Mr. Fusion. Wind and solar are nothing but money sucking dry holes.

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts
They don't care about "sense." They feel good about it. Remember, L is 99% feelings, hope, and change. Thought not required, in fact it's discouraged.

All these decrees sound good on paper but I wonder what the market will think of it. Will most of the new cars for sale by then really be BEV? Will companies who abandoned ICE vehicles still be in business?

The three dimensional people I interact with on a regular basis don't seem convinced by the current crop of BEVs and thus are not eager to plunk down their dwindling value bucks for them. The BEV proponents seem convinced, but to me they sound a lot like kids whistling past the graveyard. Just because you say it doesn't mean it will happen.

Apropos of nothing, I don't think we've seen a working model of what will become the dominant power source that will replace ICE. It may be thrumming along in a lab or still bouncing around the brain pan of it's inventor. But it's not here yet. I think BEV will pull up lame at some point, I think fuel cells will have a go, maybe even hydrogen combustion. There are some breakthroughs in low energy use hydrogen production. But there are way more hurdles to the path to unseat ICE as the dominant power source. I think over the next 40-50 years there will be many choices, but it remains to be seen what will dominate. Only thing I know for sure is I'm not likely to be here to see it. But I think it will take that long to sort out.

The interesting part to me is that people seem willing to accept that ANY of these are more clean than the others. None of them are. Either in raw materials, production, or use they all have problems. And please. Renewable energy? Don't make me laugh. You better be hoping for Mr. Fusion. Wind and solar are nothing but money sucking dry holes.
They don't look good on paper. Central Planning is NOT market demands. If liktrik was such an all-fired great idea, the genius class would leave the market to decide. But the boogieman of globaloney warming and the narcissistic idiotic idea that hominids can control the weather or climate is their justification. Many probably actually believe in globaloney warming. Algore believes in how unbelievably wealthy exploiting panic among the Great Unwashed can make one.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
I think plug in hybrids are a good middle ground between BEVs and ICE but ICE cars are obsolete, they haven't improved very significantly since the early to mid 2000s, heck some manufacturers like Toyota are still using variants of engines that were basically designed in that period, and others have rehashed technologies like turbocharging and god awful CVTs to make these things palatable.

OEMs are too scared to innovate because the risks are so huge, instead plop an ugly infotainment screen and touch sensitive buttons into the same basic powertrain tech from 20 years ago to incentivize the sheep to upgrade from their 2007 Civic to a new one.

As for BEVs, all the SJW identity politics nonsense aside, if you actually drive a Tesla with its one pedal driving, dead quiet smooth operation, and instant off the line power, there really is no going back to an ICE car. Hard to believe people have the same car payment as a Model Y for something like an X3 and on top still pay for premium fuel at the pump.

They don't look good on paper. Central Planning is NOT market demands. If liktrik was such an all-fired great idea, the genius class would leave the market to decide. But the boogieman of globaloney warming and the narcissistic idiotic idea that hominids can control the weather or climate is their justification. Many probably actually believe in globaloney warming. Algore believes in how unbelievably wealthy exploiting panic among the Great Unwashed can make one.
Regulation has always been part of the market, we do not live with an unregulated market which would be a catastrophic cluster **** of snake oil and carcinogens.

Humans are not birds or bees or dinosaurs, industrialization is unprecedented in the natural world. The earth ultimately doesn't give a ****, but our actions have consequences for ourselves. This is not about saving the planet it's about self preservation.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts