1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/c...r_overview.html

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/c...c_overview.html

Chevrolet Epica

A Practical, Rational, Logical Reward To Yourself
What do you call a dependable vehicle with tasteful refinements and upscale features? The answer could only be Epica. So luxurious, you'll forget how practical it is. You've earned this car.
Yep, that's cheesey. :)

But I like this somewhat unique engine, also of course, found in the Suzuki Verona. You don't see too many DOHC car engines with more torque than horsepower - and a smallish displacement I-6 at that. Neat.

Engine
2.5L I-6

Type:
transverse mounted DOHC, 24-valve, inline 6-cylinder

Block material:
aluminum

Cylinder head material:
aluminum

Valvetrain:
24-valve DOHC

Compression ratio:
10.2:1

Horsepower
(hp @ rpm):
155 hp @ 5800

Torque
(lb-ft @ rpm):
177 lb-ft @ 4000

Recommended fuel:
87 octane - regular

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 27 2003, 07:11 PM
i rarely see DOHC cars with less torque than horsepower. it all depends on where you're looking i guess.
I guess I should say "so much" torque. Most DOHC small to mid-size car engines I checked had more horses than torque:

Hyundai Elantra:
Horsepower @ RPM
[email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

Honda Civic Si:
Horsepower @ RPM [email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

Dodge Neon:
Horsepower @ RPM [email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

Compare that to the OHV Malibu's 3.5L V6:
Horsepower @ RPM
[email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

And lastly the 2.7L DOHC Verona's engine:

Horsepower
(hp @ rpm):
155 hp @ 5800

Torque
(lb-ft @ rpm):
177 lb-ft @ 4000

So I guess I'm not looking at high performance BMW Inline 6's they might have gobs of torque, but as far as this lightweight economy segment goes, I think the Verona has a somewhat unique engine for a DOHC 6.

Actually, Toyota's Camry-Solara V6 is torquey - 3.3-Liter V6, 24-Valve, DOHC Engine - Front/Transverse Mounted With Horsepower Of [email protected] and Torque Of [email protected]

But Honda's Accord V6:
Horsepower @ RPM
[email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

So maybe my bias holds true only for 4-bangers and Hondas. Still, the Verona is neat in that it has a 6 cylinder that has the displacement of some large 4 cylinder engines (Toyota pickup 4-cyl?) and has much more torque than horses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.