·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/c...r_overview.html

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/c...c_overview.html

Chevrolet Epica

A Practical, Rational, Logical Reward To Yourself
What do you call a dependable vehicle with tasteful refinements and upscale features? The answer could only be Epica. So luxurious, you'll forget how practical it is. You've earned this car.
Yep, that's cheesey. :)

But I like this somewhat unique engine, also of course, found in the Suzuki Verona. You don't see too many DOHC car engines with more torque than horsepower - and a smallish displacement I-6 at that. Neat.

Engine
2.5L I-6

Type:
transverse mounted DOHC, 24-valve, inline 6-cylinder

Block material:
aluminum

Cylinder head material:
aluminum

Valvetrain:
24-valve DOHC

Compression ratio:
10.2:1

Horsepower
(hp @ rpm):
155 hp @ 5800

Torque
(lb-ft @ rpm):
177 lb-ft @ 4000

Recommended fuel:
87 octane - regular

·
Registered
396 Posts
i rarely see DOHC cars with less torque than horsepower. it all depends on where you're looking i guess.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 27 2003, 07:11 PM
i rarely see DOHC cars with less torque than horsepower. it all depends on where you're looking i guess.
I guess I should say "so much" torque. Most DOHC small to mid-size car engines I checked had more horses than torque:

Hyundai Elantra:
Horsepower @ RPM
[email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

Honda Civic Si:
Horsepower @ RPM [email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

Dodge Neon:
Horsepower @ RPM [email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

Compare that to the OHV Malibu's 3.5L V6:
Horsepower @ RPM
[email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

And lastly the 2.7L DOHC Verona's engine:

Horsepower
(hp @ rpm):
155 hp @ 5800

Torque
(lb-ft @ rpm):
177 lb-ft @ 4000

So I guess I'm not looking at high performance BMW Inline 6's they might have gobs of torque, but as far as this lightweight economy segment goes, I think the Verona has a somewhat unique engine for a DOHC 6.

Actually, Toyota's Camry-Solara V6 is torquey - 3.3-Liter V6, 24-Valve, DOHC Engine - Front/Transverse Mounted With Horsepower Of [email protected] and Torque Of [email protected]

But Honda's Accord V6:
Horsepower @ RPM
[email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected]

So maybe my bias holds true only for 4-bangers and Hondas. Still, the Verona is neat in that it has a 6 cylinder that has the displacement of some large 4 cylinder engines (Toyota pickup 4-cyl?) and has much more torque than horses.

·
Registered
396 Posts
don't forget about the DOHC V6 in the L-series saturn. i would have to guestimate that there's an equal balance when it comes to DOHC engines and the torque to horsepower ratios they have. but please don't make me validate this subjective remark :D

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The commercials are dumb too. A british guy walks out of the airport, and sees a bunch of limos. he gets into the back of an Epica (or Optra, I don't remember), and says "Take me to the consulate". A little kid and mom are in the car, and they look at him as if he's nuts.

Like you could mistake anything for a limo.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
both of thoes cars are nice.... it would be nice with an ecotec or a I-5. I didnt see any other pics of interior or anything like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts