GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just reading and had a thought. Like Infiniti is doing, a Cadillac designed, engineered and built in Europe using GM Europe's resources just like Infiniti is doing on Nissan's shoulders.

Link

Infiniti expects its European sales to explode in the coming years in what it calls a “big bang.” Driving the growth will be two new compact models designed and built in Europe: the Q30 hatchback and QX30 crossover.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The car might work as a premium model, I'm sure Opel designers/engineers are quite capable of that - but whether the marketing and image would work in Europe is a completely different issue.

Remember that Opel have been here before - the Senator-B was widely regarded as BMW's equal by engineers and press - but not by customers - has anything changed?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Was just reading and had a thought. Like Infiniti is doing, a Cadillac designed, engineered and built in Europe using GM Europe's resources just like Infiniti is doing on Nissan's shoulders.

Link
Which assembly line in Europe did you have in mind could carry the Alpha?
Mind you the new models for Infinity are based on platforms already produced in Europe?

Plus, it is not the production numbers that is the problem in Europe for Cadillac. It's the sales numbers. And those will not improve without proper PR ...and a diesel.

Or did you mean Cadillac should launch a hatchback on a Delta platform afterall?

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Cadillac has already come out and flatly declared, they are not focused on Europe right now. They have beef to grind in America and China.

Europeans have enough luxury cars to buy. Like this one

Cadillac cannot compete with this sort of luxury

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Europe is in fact a growing market for premium cars. It still is one of the largest markets for motor vehicles in the world and will be for many years. Less and less people drive cars, but this doesn't mean car sales are falling - those who do still buy, look at the market totals. And in those totals, premium brands are taking more and more share, because buying a new car is pretty much a luxury (and not a necessity), and who wants a Ford Mondeo when they can have a Mercedes, BMW or Volvo. Moreover, many people are OK with a compact-sized car or CUV (or even a MINI!) if they get the brand, style, quality and featurses, and they are enticed to choose one due to fuel economy (apart from obvious economies of burning less fuel, many countries offer generous tax breaks for the most economic cars - and achieving the necessary results with anything more than a compact is a tall order, one major exception was the Saab 9-3 TTiD).

Moreover, cars-as-a-service also cater to demand not normally covered by new car sales - but this requires manufacturers to let people access their cars. So does e.g. BMW with their DriveNOW programme, which is quite popular as people like to arrive in style even if once in a while.

So yes, there is plenty of a market for premium cars in Europe, but not the kind Cadillac makes. And it would actually pay off for Cadillac to stay true to its core brand values and not spread over every corner of the market like most of the others do. Land Rover and Ranger Rover, even if cloning their basic idea in several sizes, are one example how a focused brands can build desirability, value and demand. MINI is also a good example, although on the verge of overstretching.

To capitalize on Europe's turn towards affordable premium, GM would have to have an appropriate brand. Too bad they have flushed a perfect one they had down the drain. Lucky Geely!

PS. Infiniti is posting about a "big break and astonishing future success" every 6 months, whenever they are launching a new model, engine or even trim level in Europe. The truth is they have nothing special to offer that you can't get from at least 5 other brands, and R/N, while great at innovating with all their other brands, simply doesn't have a clue how to do something new with Infiniti.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Europe is a declining market. It'd look good to succeed there - the world does still look to Europe for its tastes - but the long term economic prognosis is lousy - declining prosperity, shrinking population. Not all that alluring.
The reports of our decline have been greatly exaggerated (apologies to Mark Twain) - the current difficulties in the Eurozone aren't insurmountable especially as the European auto industry is still a major global player.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Europe is a declining market. It'd look good to succeed there - the world does still look to Europe for its tastes - but the long term economic prognosis is lousy - declining prosperity, shrinking population. Not all that alluring.
While I agree that Europe is a declinging market, it is nothing but a growth market for Cadillac as they have almost no sales there. Eventually the European Union will figure out their problems and growth will follow (5 years? 10 years? or longer?) Same as Japan, Japan is a declining market with an aging population, but for and of the big 3 Japan is nothing but a growth market as they have virtually no sales there. It's just figuring out how to crack the markets.

The issue is if Cadillac can build something that European's will buy, both product wise (RHD) and marketing wise. Cadillac needs to build a marketing strategy to get people to perceive it as luxury. This applies to the USA as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am living in the Netherlands (Europe), and have driving several Chevrolets (Corsica, Alero (in Europe it was a Chevrolet) and 2x Camaro).
Now i drive a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze (made in Korea).

My english is not so very well, so i hope i can translate it correctly

The biggest problem for a brand like cadillac is, they have to compete with the big 3 German Brands.
Most of the cars sold in the Netherlands (and mostly the rest of Europe) by the 3 German Brands are Company Cars, the lease Market.
These cars a brandnew, driven 3 or 5 years, and after that they go back to the lease company (they will sell these cars as preowned), the Lease Company calculates a price: New price - Value after 3 years, and equali split over 36 months.
The Value of a 3 year old Cadillac is a lot less, than like a BMW or Mercedes, so the lease Monthly leaseprice is high for a Cadillac.
So it is more expensive for a Company to lease a Cadillac than for example a BMW.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
what reasons would there be for a european customer to consider a cadillac over the offerings of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo or Jaguar? Why would i buy a Caddillac?
That is the question that cadillac needs to answer. And so far they have not found the answer.
It's conceivable that WHEN Cadillac has rebuilt itself and it's image in North America, that it's reputation may slowly spread globally to become a desirable American luxury brand - then, and only then, might Europeans consider them.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Again, the problem with both Infiniti and Cadillac is that they offer the same in a different packaging. They could have even built a BETTER 3er, but it would take huge amounts of marketing to make sure everybody knows that, is convinced of that truly, and that makes them want a Cadillac over BMW.

The way is not to try to offer the same in a different packaging, or out-BMW BMW, because no matter how dilligently you tear apart the spanking brand new 3er, the moment you're done with analyzing it and making a better one yourself, they will have a new one out, and nobody will care you did yours better when they can have the proven thing that everybody thinks is just great, very sexy, desirable and just the thing.

The way is to offer something nobody else doesn't. Like Lexus did with the CT - an affordable, front-wheel drive (think interior packaging vs. BMW 1), tax-break-eligible hybrid with great fuel economy and utility as an everyday car for the city, with high quality inside and out, quiet interior and a pleasant driving experience but no claims to be the Ultimate Performance Machine (like BMW 114 has, quite interestingly).

Volvo has invented the off-road 4WD wagon and owns the category despite Audi doing their best to unseat them and everybody periodically trying to enter the category. In general, they have cultivated an image that is just the opposite of the Germans, and they tried not to aim their cars squarely at the Germans (well, at least until recently).

Land Rover and Range Rover have established themselves in the premium SUV category long before it took off, and use the headway to push both volume and pricing.

MINI has become the de-facto gold standard for premium small cars, and the default drive for the not-so-affluent fashionista/urbanista. And now they come in more shapes and sizes to cater for a broader range of such.

Cadillac's last groundbreaking innovation was the Escalade, and it has limited market potential, which they for the most part did realize already.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IMO, Cadillac needs to figure out how to get it right in it's home market, the good ole USA, before concentrating on other markets. I am sure what is successful in the USA will translate to sales in China, but that won't fly in Europe. Work on setting a purpose and goal here in the USA and THEN look at Europe. Cadillac was known as a luxury car that was "capable." Why can't it do so now? What do American buyers want? For me, a very comfortable luxury car that is capable of performing when I want, but mainly getting me from point A to point B in luxury, style, and confidence.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I agree that GM should work hardest where it can get best bang for buck. Get the US marketing and brand cache right, the car is already built for US tastes. Chase the Chinese market, because the brand is older than the market, and GM can somewhat dictate what it sells.

But whether you like it or not, Jeremy Clarkson is really a caricature of what the European/UK market wants. Yes he exaggerates, and makes stupid comments, but by and large the underlying thoughts are accurate reflections of the market desires. Cadillac is too differently styled for mainstream Europe, the drivelines are too inefficient for countries where fuel is more than twice as expensive as the US, and the rest of the world still views Cadillac as the car Boss Hogg drove in The Dukes of Hazzard.

If I was GM, I would invest my marketing and R&D budget where I would get the most bang for buck - and that's not Europe.

Reactions: dagr382
1 - 20 of 39 Posts