GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Cruze has an upscale interior. So does the next gen Golf/Rabbit.

The Cruze gets a non-DI 1.6L 112hp wheezebox and a 1.8L 140 hp engine. The next gen Golf/Rabbit gets a 1.4L DI twin-charge engine good for up to 170 hp.

By the time the Cruze gets here, will it be a new hit, or an also ran?

A little to Korean?

A classic look refreshed...

LTZ?

An interior that justifies a premium price.

At launch in Europe, Cruze will be available with 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp/82 kW) and 1.8-liter (140 hp/103 kW) gasoline engines featuring variable valve timing (VVT) on both inlet and exhaust sides, giving more power as well as better fuel economy and lower emissions.
source

It's been reported that Eaton will be providing superchargers for use on the 1.4L TSI engines for the MK VI Golf including the Rabbit-badged version sold in the U.S. market. The 1.4L TSI is a direct injected four cylinder engine that's been offered in multiple power levels for a variety of European Volkswagen models for the past two years. The top 140 and 170 hp versions use a combination of a supercharger and a turbocharger to give a performance boost through the engine speed range.
source

·
Registered
44,432 Posts
I dunno what GM's thinking if they intend to put Cruze up against the Golf/Rabbit!! This shouldn't be the case.

In Europe, VW has moved up a level, backfilling with Skoda and SEAT.
I had thought that GM's strategy was to move Opel Up market and expand Chevy in the entry-level.

By that logic, Cruze needs to compete with the Fabia!!

Astra will compete with Golf as it has always done.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
The VW looks to have a nicer interior but they will need to be sat in to determine a winner. As far as exteriors go the Cruze makes the Golf/Rabbit look very dated. To be kind the design of the Golf/Rabbit has been evolutionary, that's for sure. I think the 911 has taken bigger strides.

Whether it's right or not the Cruze will be compared to the Golf/Rabbit because they are thought of by most to be smaller entry level cars that are priced similiarly.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Objection! Comparing a spy photo of a dirty cloth interior to an obviously Photoshopped (nice Arctic photo studio) leather interior is not fair.

I actually like the Cruze, and I haven't liked a FWD GM car since, well, ever. If the Cruze looks a little too Korean, then the Golf looks way too German, and not in a good way. It looks like a generic version of their current design, which looks much sportier. Considering the top selling cars in Americas are boring as toast, maybe VW made the right move.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
For exterior style, the Cruze wins, IMO.

For interior style, the Cruze has the better layout, but the WV has better materials. Who knows, maybe the Cruze's interior will feel better.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
By that logic, Cruze needs to compete with the Fabia!!
In that case, ditch the Cruze name and call it "I can't believe it's not Cobalt"

:fall:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
First off, you didn't say anything about the 1.4 Turbo.
Second, that's the absolutely worst picture of the Cruze.
Third, that Golf's interior already looks very outdated next to the Cruze's.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
The Cruze in the US is the 1.4L turbo. Its been confirmed many times. We'll see if the turbo Golfs make it over here, or if they continue with the 2.5L in-line 5.

If the Cruze's interior matches the photos, its in the same class as the Golf.

The Golf will probably be tuned more for enthusiasts taste. But remember something, the masses in this country have had access to VWs for a very long time - and they've sold terribly. Corollas and Civics sell here, and there is nothing european about their handling.

What I'm saying is not everyone wants a car with euro handling. Most people don't. That's why we have Saturn and Chevy - at least thats supposed to be why we have them.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Rabbit vs. Cruze? Doesn't make much sense, customers would never cross shop these two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts