GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Nov 10 2003, 04:30 PM
Evil Genius it is. ARTIE MUST GO DOWN THE STAIRS.

:krider:

Ghrankenstein
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Nov 8 2003, 10:57 PM
Well... your Dad could always cough up a couple more bucks
and put 91 octane in it,
He'll get a little more power & better gas mileage.

**500th Posted for me**
I was under the impression that the only difference Octane ratings make are for the Knock Control and not increased horsepower...

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

cheers

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by rcj_houston+Nov 13 2003, 12:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rcj_houston @ Nov 13 2003, 12:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PontiacJ8@Nov 8 2003, 10:57 PM
Well... your Dad could always cough up a couple more bucks
and put 91 octane in it,
He'll get a little more power & better gas mileage.

**500th Posted for me**
I was under the impression that the only difference Octane ratings make are for the Knock Control and not increased horsepower...

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

cheers [/b][/quote]
i was gonna say the exact same thing, but you beat me to it. :D

21 - 24 of 24 Posts