GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month's Chevy High Performance has a timely article on Camaros. Old v New.
In it a fellow who owns a 69 Z28 and a 94 (see, there is a heaven on earth!) gives a very insightful opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of both. He covers style as well as looks. Both cars run in the 10's.
Per him:
The 69 draws a crowd no matter where he goes. It can be sitting at a curve and people will stop to admire it. The 94 will draw less and usually is noticed only when it is running times.
The 94 has a/c and easier ride.
The 69 is easier to work on and (his voice now) the carbureted motor is easier to understand than the fuel management system and electronics of the 94.

He stays pretty well in the middle of the road but gives the 94 a big vote when it comes to driving a long distance. He trusts it more.

Me? Both cars are sweet and I do like the "all business" of the 69 but that 94 would probably get my vote. Actually, I'm more of a fan of the 2001 series cars- I like the grilles on these. BTW, he picked up the 69 for $700. Some people have all the luck.

This site has been too quiet lately so I ask you to give your comments.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I personaly love first gens, and no gen can come near to its beauty. Ouside of the first gen, the first 3 years of the 2nd gen are probably 2nd. 3rd is the third gen after 85. Most people dont like third gens because of the moniker it has and rep it has with other enthusiasts as slow, worthless cars, but without the third gen, and without the popularity of it, the 4th gen would go to FWD. Its sad to see how this generation is thrown away as a worthless car. Most people easily opt a 5.0 mustang over a third gen. After that comes the 98-02 LS1 fbodies, then 93-07 fbodies, then the 82-84 and last the 74-81 camaro.

·
Registered
815 Posts
IMO the 4th Gen Rocks! The the 1st Gen. Then the 2nd Gen (smokey and the bandit was cool).

But the 3rd gen was disappointing.

IMO

:argue:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Over the years, I've had a white '67 SS, a black '91 RS, and a teal-green '94 Z28. All of them were awesome.

* My '67 was a definite head-turner and probably the quickest of the bunch off the line, but in typical 60's muscle-car fashion, the whole idea of steering took on a new meaning with that car. As long as I was going straight, I was perfectly happy; the problem is that--every now and then--I actually had to make a turn, and the darn thing was about as responsive as a Mack Truck at that point. :p

* My '94 was the most "refined". Fast, handled pretty darn well considering it was more an old-school muscle-car than a modern sports car--just a flat-out awesome car.

I particularly appreciated the fact that it gave its life so that I could walk away from a 7-car accident with only a minor cut and a bruise on my back. The car was destroyed on the freeway by six other cars, and although there was pretty much nothing left of the car other than the left-front area, the passenger compartment was completely intact and I came out of it in great shape.

* But I think the one I miss most is my '91. I dunno, maybe because it was my first and maybe because I had it at a particularly neat time of my life, i.e. dating, getting married, first real career job, etc. I also really like that generation of Camaro styling, especially in its final years.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree that every Camaro has it's high points and mine are as follows from the Camaros I have owned.

1984 - Red with American Racing wheels, did the body work myself, put a hood off of an IROC on it... a great high school car but with the stock 305 it was not a great performer. I really liked the looks of it though.

1992 - My first new Camaro. Red RS with injected 305 and 5 speed. Great all around car. Maybe the best new car value of any I have ever had (MSRP in the 14s). Not really fast, but a good all around performer and definitely fun to drive. I put a z28 hood on it. I have great memories of this car and have never seen it since the day I sold it.

1996 -Z28, LT1 6 speed, Quasar Blue Metallic. This car ran in the [email protected] mph all day long. Loved the sound of the LT1 (better than an LS1 exhaust note). I pot more miles on this car than any I have owned. Great performance, good looks and the car I had when I got married.

1999 - Navy Blue SS. Definitely the best of the bunch. I still have this car and just got factory style chrome wheels for it yesterday. I have been slowly modding it since day 1 and it runs in the 12s @109+. Latest modification is sub-frame connectors and I wish I would have put them on the day after I got the car. Makes a better car in every way. This one may be a keeper... I can't imagine selling it.... unless the 2007 is something I can't live without...

I would love to someday own a 1970 1/2 Z28 with the original LT1 and a 4 speed. Also, my neighbor has a red 69 SS that he knows I am interested in if he ever sells it.

Camaros... you gotta love em.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally I love the third gens! I had one and I miss it. My Husband has a 69 and he''s loyal to the first gens. I do have a special place in my heart for a 1980 Z28, though - those cars really kicked in the looks department, YOWZA! :p

·
Registered
273 Posts
The third gen Iroc-Z sparked my interest in cars. Maybe it didn't perform as well, but third gens looked amazing to me. They were very muscular and sporty looking. I saw them all over the Bronx in the 80's.

The first wave of fourth gens may have been great performers, but they didn't really have that muscular, bulky look. They seemed too flat, and also too high off the ground. The redone headlights toward the end really alienated me from the car. I thoroughly enoyed the look of the two-bulb recessed lights. It made the car look sinister.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I fell in love with Camaro's in 1981. I was only 4-years-old, but I still remember my aunt buying a brand new Z28. Black with the silver stripes along the bottom. I had a 1998 (stolen two days ago). It would be very hard for me to pick a favorite. I like all of them! I'd have to rank them in the following order:
1. First Generation
2. Fourth Generation
3. Second Generation
4. Third Generation

·
Registered
236 Posts
1st Gen (specifically '69)
4th Gen, 98-02
2nd Gen, 70 1/2-73
4th Gen, 93-97
3rd Gen, 85-92 & 2nd Gen, 78-81 (like 'em the same)
2nd Gen, 74-77
3rd Gen, 82-84

If I could pick any two, I'd pick a LeMans Blue 1969 Z/28 RS and a 2002 SS.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 1st gen are by far the most classy looking. I love the 2nd gen, although I'm biased because I own a '79 Berlinetta. As for looks, the 3rd gen doesn't deserve to be called a Camaro. Don't like the 4th gen until they changed from the pointy nose to the big chunky grille. The 99s-02s look the best after the 1st and 2nd gens.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
First generation! True pony cars.

Next would have to be the early 4th gen. I never cared for the facelift the camaro received at the end of the 4th. 94 in particular, since I'm about to buy one :D

The only other one I would get is a early second gen.

every thing else :flush:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Give me a 67ss/rs with updated suspension, an LS1 and a 6spd. We can have the best of both worlds can't we.

I do miss my old 67, that one had suce a nice idle.... brapity brapity

·
Registered
137 Posts
My favorite is the '69 (the only year I preferred it over the Firebird). I can't put my finger on any one detail it is just the complete look of the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts