GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my complaint. Every one is upset about the camaro being gone. But you hardly ever hear any one mention the firebird. It was a great car too.I think that there should be a discusion on bringing back the firebirds and trans ams. Or at least add it to the discusion page on camaros. Don't get me wrong I love the camaros very much,but I think we need to remeber the twin brother a little more.I think they are just as good a car,fun to drive stylish and just an all out good car. Thanks for reading this complaint.can we do something about it please?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well, the Camaro has always been more popular and for the exception of a few years, has easily outsold the bird. I have heard many Firebird owners pray that the Bird will return along side its 35 year old sister car, the Camaro. It doesnt look like thats gunna happen, sorry. The GTO will be a higher positioned car then the fbird, so dont think of it as a replacement, but just a car to help move Pontiac up into a higher market. I think spliting up Camaro will help increase sales of the Camaro, and who ever wants a higher end sports coupe can move up to the GTO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@May 16 2004, 08:06 AM
Well, the Camaro has always been more popular and for the exception of a few years, has easily outsold the bird. I have heard many Firebird owners pray that the Bird will return along side its 35 year old sister car, the Camaro. It doesnt look like thats gunna happen, sorry. The GTO will be a higher positioned car then the fbird, so dont think of it as a replacement, but just a car to help move Pontiac up into a higher market. I think spliting up Camaro will help increase sales of the Camaro, and who ever wants a higher end sports coupe can move up to the GTO.
I hate the idea of the camaro outselling the firebird :flush: :plasma:
tell me why it is that the camaro does better in sales?? is it cuz chevy is cheaper? :brick: :brick:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have always like the Firebird better than the Camaro.... except the IROC.

Camaro's IMO sold better because they are Chevies and less expensive. The less expensive is the mani reason. Pontiac Firebirds were always built a little better and IMO styled better (except for the IROC).

The corvette has never been a car I wished to own for styling reasons and being a 2 seater. I never had plans of seating four adults either but you can. The added space makes be feel more comfortable and gives me room when I need it as a daily driver.

The Firebird has always Ruled in my kingdom. :D

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Camaro/Firebird seemed expensive in their final years.
Very powerful, and an awesome car to build up on, but they
seemed to be out of the reach of the poor young buyers who
needed something RWD and fast. :)

Hopefully when they bring the Camaro back they keep the
prices inline with the Mustang and not inline with a Corvette.

My favorite was the '91-92 Camaro IROC... they were sweet.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Regarding the bodies, the last Firebirds did not have as good a line as the Camaros. The back end didn't match the front. In fact, the back end with that little spoiler, looked awkward.
I thought that GM was really hitting the nail on the head with the last Camaros and the red/black combination that they lifted from the Ferraris did a lot for the car.
Now, if the Trans Ams were so much faster or performed beeter due to unique drive train/suspension features, I would not know.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 69nova@Jun 1 2004, 12:22 PM
Regarding the bodies, the last Firebirds did not have as good a line as the Camaros. The back end didn't match the front. In fact, the back end with that little spoiler, looked awkward.
I thought that GM was really hitting the nail on the head with the last Camaros and the red/black combination that they lifted from the Ferraris did a lot for the car.
Now, if the Trans Ams were so much faster or performed beeter due to unique drive train/suspension features, I would not know.
You have got to be kidding right. The last birds were probably some of the best looking ones ever made. :argue: :brick:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@May 28 2004, 04:33 PM
The Camaro/Firebird seemed expensive in their final years.
Very powerful, and an awesome car to build up on, but they
seemed to be out of the reach of the poor young buyers who
needed something RWD and fast. :)

Hopefully when they bring the Camaro back they keep the
prices inline with the Mustang and not inline with a Corvette.

My favorite was the '91-92 Camaro IROC... they were sweet.
#1- there are no IROC's after 90.
#2- Starting with the mid third gens and into the 4th gens, when you got the top V8, you had to pay for a lot of options that came along with it. All that add on jacked the price up. Its not like you couldnt order a "stripper" Z28. The SS really didnt have much over teh Z28 as far as performance. That hood did little if anything for performance.

The Camaro sold more because the Camaro, to the population, was more popular then the firebird. Nothing to be ashamed about? The Mustang sold more then the Cougar? The Silverado sells more then the Serria, nothing to get all sad about.

as far as looks, its up to each person. Some people like the boy-racer flashy-ness of the last birds. Apparently, not enough. The birds with the standrd hood and standard wing, i.e. V6 and Formy models, didnt look all too good. I think all the 4th gens look a little...well... not like the rest of the other gens. It lost its touring car stance and became an all out sports car. I dont like 4th gen Camaros either. Yes, they are fast, but the Camaro is the best looking Concorde Chrystler never made.

When the Camaro comes back, they need to make sure that along with having a high performance tire melter, that the car in milder flavors is a daily driver because if no one can live in the interior, then V6 sales arent gunna be big. The car needs to be civil. Im sure that with Holdens touch, we will see that. Seating position of the GTO is what the Camaro needs. Not to much higher, not too much lower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.