Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neat little article a few of you may be able to empathize with:

----------

A 1978 fantasy on wheels

By JENNIFER P. BROWN [email protected]

Peripheral Vision

On U.S. 68, about halfway between Fairview and Elkton, there's a salvage yard on the side of the road where a few dozen cars have gone to rust and bide time. No doubt, some of them can be coaxed back to life and will eventually leave the yard to roam the road again.

But several of them are essentially dead. They sit there to be picked apart, to act like donors for other cars in better shape that need an authentic steering wheel from a 1960-something Pontiac or a fender from an old Ford pickup.

It could be any salvage yard on any highway in America -- except for the fact that in this particular yard, my husband and I thought we recognized one of the old cars. John saw it first, on his way to Russellville one day several weeks ago.

"I think I saw your old Z, today," he told me.

On my next trip to Elkton, I saw the car, its tail end pointed toward the highway. It sure looked like my car -- a blue 1978 Camaro Z?28.

"Let's go look at that car," I told my husband last weekend.

I promised him I didn't want to rescue it. I just wanted to see if it was the right one.

So we headed for Todd County in my very mature and sensible 2000 Buick Century.

I turned off the highway and weaved through the junked cars in the yard.

John was barely out the passenger?side door when he said, "That's not your car. That's just a plain Camaro."

Bummer.

Then I looked at the car and realized it was just as well. It looked awful, especially the interior. I lifted the hood and looked into a gaping hole. The engine was gone, and I could see straight through to the grass.

In my old "Z," I sometimes kept dirty horse blankets and leather bridles in the back seat. I'm sure there were Coke bottles in the floorboard, and I remember loading 50-pound bags of horse feed into the trunk at Hopkinsville Elevator.

The two doors on that car were huge and swung wide so my friends could climb into the back seat. The engine roared, and music from the 8-track player thumped against the dashboard.

Now I have four door car that looks like a 41-year-old woman's four-door car. There are coffee mugs in the trunk and jackets in the back seat.

Bummer.

Link

·
Registered
236 Posts
My mom's first car was a one-year old '79 Z28. She had it until I was in kindergarten. When she sold it it was still in pretty darn good shape for a 22 year old car (especially one built when it was). A few years later she saw it around town and whoever had bought it had run it into the ground. It's probably rotting in some junkyard right now. :(

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
You know, in the past 3 years of me hanging around various boards and reading many mags, the late 2nd gen cars went from blah to nice. I guess that generation is starting to grow up and want thoes kinda cars like they saw when they were kids. I hope there is going to be a turn for the third gens as they seem to still be the ******* children.
I love my third gen. My dad got the car band new back in 87. He took me with him to get the car. There is a nice story to go with that too. Now, after about 3500-4k into the car, I own it! I love working on the car and fixing and making her fast. Im in the middle of a sweet heads and cam build up.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 9 2004, 05:22 PM
You know, in the past 3 years of me hanging around various boards and reading many mags, the late 2nd gen cars went from blah to nice.
A lot of people who have been around a long time would probably recall when the 2nd gens were all junk, just like many 3rd gens are now. I can't wait to see more and more restored 3rd gens around. I will have another one someday. My dream is a 90 IROC 1LE. I'd also like to find a clean 92 Z as well. Who knows...

·
Registered
236 Posts
A good clean 3rd gen is a rare find. When you do find one though, they are usually quite breath taking, like a TT 3rd gen vert I saw at an autoshow one time. It seems like right now 3rd gens are most stigma-ed as a "mullet-mobile". I'm sure that will pass in time though, and move on to the 4th gens... <_< Hope it doesn't, but who knows.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Its wierd when i compare my 77 to a 78, the 78 changed so much in only a year. :eatarrow:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by demonspeed+Feb 10 2004, 12:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (demonspeed @ Feb 10 2004, 12:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Feb 9 2004, 05:22 PM
You know, in the past 3 years of me hanging around various boards and reading many mags, the late 2nd gen cars went from blah to nice.
A lot of people who have been around a long time would probably recall when the 2nd gens were all junk, just like many 3rd gens are now. I can't wait to see more and more restored 3rd gens around. I will have another one someday. My dream is a 90 IROC 1LE. I'd also like to find a clean 92 Z as well. Who knows... [/b][/quote]
friened of mine has a 90 Iroc 1LE. 350 too. 1 of 25 made with teh 350. 6k miles on it. If you want it, he wants 4 million and your first born. hehehe wana trade?
Ive seen more nice and perfect third gens then rotten "red neck" rust buckets.
Im happy to have a clean third gen.
The third gen is such a great platform for the g-machine or "pro touring" set up. It has great handling out of the box, and you can put almost any motor into the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 9 2004, 10:32 PM

friened of mine has a 90 Iroc 1LE. 350 too. 1 of 25 made with teh 350. 6k miles on it. If you want it, he wants 4 million and your first born. hehehe wana trade?
someday :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts