·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://indycamaro.com/Indy08/

General Motors and the Central Indiana Camaro Club Present:
INDY '08 BACK AT THE BRICKYARD
September 19-21, 2008 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

General Motors, Chevrolet Division and the Central Indiana Camaro Club would like to announce an exciting new development in the Camaro world. We have now been authorized to release information that the new production Camaros will be in attendance and unveiled at the Indy 08, Back at the Brickyard Event in September. The car will be unveiled at the event and many different models/engine combos will be available for the general public to review. Expect to see many different color combinations as well.

The 'Back at the Brickyard' Event will be happening in Indianapolis Indiana from September 19-21, 2008 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Hundreds of Camaros, Firebirds, and Pace Car owners will be in attendance to celebrate the unveiling and enjoy this historic event. GM Dignitaries will be in attendance as well to discuss the design, engineering, marketing, and accessories for this new model of Camaro. Vendors will also be on hand displaying their products.

·
Registered
845 Posts
This is good news only if that car is on sell less than 6 months later. In fact, if you're displaying a production model, for the sake of the average consumer (short attention span), it should really be on sale the same day.

Unfortunately, I doubt either of those will happen.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
LOL... saw the title and thought it was pacing the race or something. That would be a real surprise as there's nothing but Honda's in IRL from what I've seen (pace and service vehicles besides obviously the cars)

·
Registered
906 Posts
This is good news only if that car is on sell less than 6 months later. In fact, if you're displaying a production model, for the sake of the average consumer (short attention span), it should really be on sale the same day.

Unfortunately, I doubt either of those will happen.
I keep seeing late Jan or Feb as being the on sale date for the Camaro, that's less than 6 months after Indy. Not to mention, if they have production Camaros avail in late Sept, why would they wait to sell them?

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
LOL... saw the title and thought it was pacing the race or something. That would be a real surprise as there's nothing but Honda's in IRL from what I've seen (pace and service vehicles besides obviously the cars)
That is what I was hoping as well, given the merger of the two series I am not sure where we stand with the new league being Honda only for all vehicles.

A Camaro pacing the Indy 500 or the Brickyard 400 would be a good promotional tool. Something like that would should up in the news clips etc even if people don't watch the race.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Are these going to be Oshawa-built pre-pilots/pilots or hand-built betas? If they're pilots they should be ready for the '09 model year or a very early '10 model year release.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hope GM doesn't have the idea that Firebird owners are going to now buy Camaros. Yes its always been our sister car but we will never cross over to the evil bowtie division.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hope GM doesn't have the idea that Firebird owners are going to now buy Camaros. Yes its always been our sister car but we will never cross over to the evil bowtie division.
Just bought my first Pontiac EVER! - Nothing but Chevy's til now. I am still waking up in the middle of the night with fever asking myself "what did I do?"

I agree however, I would never give up my Camaro for a Firebird. GM should consider droping a G8 coupe and bring back the Firebird.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great. How about going one step further Team Chevy and announce you are getting back into Indy Car racing at that same event? Then let's go stomp some ricer butt like in the good old days when Honda was a punch line for a joke!!

Used to love to hang out at IMS....

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Impressive - it's not very long until then! Can't wait to see the whole car (and all variants) in production guise.
Just bought my first Pontiac EVER! - Nothing but Chevy's til now. I am still waking up in the middle of the night with fever asking myself "what did I do?"

I agree however, I would never give up my Camaro for a Firebird. GM should consider droping a G8 coupe and bring back the Firebird.
Wouldn't they have to add the G8 coupe before dropping it? To my knowledge they have not announced that there will be one. Holden doesn't have a VE Monaro yet, which would have to precede any G8 coupe.

And also, calling a two door G8 a "Firebird" would be repeating the same mistake that GM made by calling the old Monaro a "GTO." Great car (and the Holden coupe concept was HOT), but it didn't look like a Firebird at all.

And let's not encourage them to rebadge the Camaro as a Firebird. ;)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Unfortunately, that is EXACTLY what GM is expecting us to do.

Not going to happen here I tell you! I will look all over the country for a used 2002 Trans Am with less than 5000 miles on it before I buy a Camaro.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

So why is it ur like that with firebirds and the other guy same with camaros?? Are they that diff a car, im in Aus so i never understood what the big diff was with them other than that the firebird always had the more wild design, i did love the later ones with the big hood scoops, just screamed look at me.

be nice if Gm maybe did a run of say 5000 a year firebirds for the diehards out there, but money wise might not be feasible

1 - 20 of 62 Posts