GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assembly deadlocks on question of tax incentives for SUV's
Associated Press

SACRAMENTO - A bill to disallow tax incentives for many businesses that own large sport utility vehicles and steer the incentives instead to owners of small fuel-efficient cars deadlocked Thursday on a 36-36 vote in the state Assembly.

Though Democrats argued that the bill would help owners of environmentally friendly vehicles, opponents defeated the effort with arguments that it would harm businesses that rely on large vehicles that weigh more than three tons.

Backers had promised the tax breaks would remain intact for farmers and timber industry workers who need large trucks. But not for others.

"You shouldn't give people a break just because they buy a super-large vehicle for their business," said Assemblyman Joe Nation, D-San Rafael, author of the bill.

The measure deals with how much the vehicles can be depreciated for tax purposes.

Nation and other bill supporters maintained that a rising number of big vehicles are harder on the state's roads, get poor gasoline mileage and are harming efforts to clean up the air. Nation cited vehicles such as the Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Astro, Ford Expedition, GMC Envoy and Hummer H2.

But opponents pointed to use of larger vehicles by real estate agents, flower deliverers and companies that use them for carpoolers.

"There are a lot of other folks who need these vehicles for their businesses," said Assemblyman Rick Keene, R-Chico.

Nation said Oregon lawmakers voted last year to disallow the incentives for large vehicles, while New York Gov. George Pataki has sponsored a bill to do the same.

-------------------------

Note that Joe Nation, Democratic Assemblyman, planted the blame again solely on domestics first....no mention of Toyota Land Cruisers or the like that also get poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jan 31 2004, 12:10 PM
Note that Joe Nation, Democratic Assemblyman, planted the blame again solely on domestics first....no mention of Toyota Land Cruisers or the like that also get poor gas mileage.
it seems that Mr. Joe Nation is just underscoring an odvious fact:

Toyota get it's technology 3 weeks into the future.

That way - it's impossible for a Land Cruiser to get less than 45mpg becasue all it's technology is from the future. Long before GM - DCX and Ford can even begin to think about more fuel efficent SUV's - Toyota has already had it done.

Or maybe he's just be a ****.

"Oh - all Japanese cars are easy on gas - including the Toyota Land Crusier! There's no such thing as a gas guzzling japanese car!"

·
Registered
202 Posts
What pisses me off about this whole SUV tax bull crap is right now in California it seems that our wonderful government has absolutely blown the budget, or just didn't bother to follow it, so now they want us tax payers to pay for their
screw up
. They want to not only tax
SUV's
, the list includes but is not limited to
Internet
downloads, beer taxes and the list is extensive and if they could tax the air you breath they would do that too. They way I understand it is I drive a large SUV, so there fore I should be punished as I am not going green, this crap is all liberal bull crap and just another way to rip us responsible Californians pay our bills on time and play by the rules, so now we have to pay for their
incompetence
and stupidity.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Astro?

Why? :confused:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Woah, this was 4 years ago. I think the bill is long dead.

·
Premium Member
35,676 Posts
The majority of California voters have themselves to thank for an increasingly incompetent and oppressive government.

As long as they follow their delusions that a politician who says he's going to "take care of you" without exploring the definition of the phrase, they will continue down the proven road to further incompetence, stupidity, and loss of freedom.

Now, PLEASE SECEDE and take Taxachusetts with you. :yup:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Why is the government giving incentives or breaks on different cars and trucks anyways? Why are they taxing business cars and trucks?

WHY ARE THEY TAXING IT IN GENERAL?

...so how long before this gets locked because GMI thinks that this big community can only talk about cars?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
^I don't see why it isn't closed anyways... its a 4 year old thread.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I'm happy I DON'T live in California. The thing I'm worried about though is that their influence is spreading...

·
Registered
202 Posts
They tried to bring up the same general idea yet again
Yeah same crap different year! As if it isn't expensive enough to drive here they want to find new ways to tax you! When business start leaving then what will they do for revenue, I know raise taxes! That is the only solution the Liberals have to solve problems, tax the people into oblivion, oh and don't forget to punish those evil SUV drivers. Don't mind that we completely blew the budget, now you will pay for our screw up. Yes California sucks, or is it now Mexico, I can't tell, what ever you do don't move here!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yeah same crap different year! As if it isn't expensive enough to drive here they want to find new ways to tax you! When business start leaving then what will they do for revenue, I know raise taxes! That is the only solution the Liberals have to solve problems, tax the people into oblivion, oh and don't forget to punish those evil SUV drivers. Don't mind that we completely blew the budget, now you will pay for our screw up. Yes California sucks, or is it now Mexico, I can't tell, what ever you do don't move here!

Only consolation is our insurance is cheaper because of the climate, less accidents.

For the love of GOD people that don't pay a certain tax shouldn't be able to vote to raise it.

Like cigarettes, or cars or on church's. Everyone seems to pass the charge onto some other group. Also 'no taxation without representation', there are taxes on the books that have been in effect before most voters could vote. They should all expire to see if people in the future really needs or WANTS them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts