GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm building a 1971 Chevy C10 with a Gen VI 454, I live in California. As I understand it, any vehicle 1975 pre is smog exempt.

However, when I go to buy certain parts, see below, Summit prompts me asking if this is for a 1965 or pre vehicle, or race-only vehicle. Ob

Fuel Pump: HyperFuel 40015 Hyperfuel Tight-Fit In-Tank Retrofit Fuel Pump Kits | Summit Racing
Air Cleaner: Summit Racing SUM-239461 Summit Racing® Air Cleaners with Reusable Filters | Summit Racing

It is illegal to install, sell or offer for sale any aftermarket part that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control system unless the part is exempted or has an Executive Order issued by the California Air Resources Board (also commonly referred to as the "EO" number). Installation of parts which are not CARB approved on a pollution-controlled vehicle in the State of California may result in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) revoking the vehicle registration and certificate of ownership (title), refusing the transfer of registration, and/or the vehicle failing smog inspection. Law enforcement may cite you for the use of an illegal aftermarket part and seize your title and license plate.

1. 1965 or Older Vehicle. All the below items are being used on a vehicle made in or before the year 1965. Or, these items are for use in a specially constructed vehicle per California Senate Bill 100 (SB 100).

2. Non-Highway Vehicle. All the below items are being installed on a vehicle that will NEVER be used, or licensed, or registered for use upon a highway in the state of California.

3. 1966 or Newer Highway Vehicle. All the below items are being installed on a vehicle that IS licensed, or registered for use upon a highway in the state of California and was made in or after the year 1966.

If I select #3 they say:

We cannot sell the item for use on a 1966 or newer vehicle licensed for highway use in the state of California.

So obviously I want to select #1 but first I'd like to understand the disparity. If 1975 pre vehicles are smog exempt, why do I see this message?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
CA started early emission-related requirements in '66 or '67 ('air pumps on cars sold there, at least).
What 'pre-'75' is marking is catalytic converter mandates... but like I said- there were other, earlier, CA-specific requirements. Your combination of being in CA and having a post-'65 vehicle is probably what's triggering those messages.

Some research should reveal if a '71 C-10 fuel tank and a '64 tank interchange...wherein you lie and enter "1964" and get your part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response.

My follow up to this is, the only time the DMV requires a visual check of the vehicle is during a smog check. Since there is no other time that they would do a check, there is no enforcement. I guess unless someone is pulled over by a cop and they check. Would that be right?

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
Muckaluck doesn't call them Commiefornia for nothing..............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts