GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
It's sad that see the future will be better then today. Stop living in fear
The only fear I have is of people like yourself that have such faith in this technology

I don't want to be a Beta tester with my family and I don't want to run into an idiot sitting in the back seat of his car at 100KPH or a blind drunk moron relying on this to get him home

It's bad enough we have to deal with morons who cant drive let alone morons who think an imperfect computer can do it for them

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
Logically-speaking, the standard for a self-driving system is not perfection. It only needs to be safer than the average human driver to improve the overall safety of the fleet. Of course, most of us tend to hold others to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. We also tend to fear things we don't understand more than the things we understand even if the former is a lesser danger (e.g., acts of terrorism and mass shootings create hysteria even though they only account for a small % of homicides). So, in practice (and illogically), people will want self-driving systems to be much, much better than the average human driver to be acceptable.

The problem is there are many stupid people who will think the car can drive for them or try and defeat systems designed to make the system foolproof ( see current issues with Tesla)

The tech is not safe yet and likely never will be a human will still need to be in control

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,344 Posts
Your point is relevant the fact computers have been flying airplanes for the better part of my life is just a precursor to computers driving 🚗 cars one day.

The point is that it doesn't matter who is behind the wheel. If you are ok with a airplane operating this way then a car should be no different.

Stop being a dinosaur. The future is coming.
And the ones flying the plane with the computer are far more experienced and trained for things in case something should go awry, unlike the average joe piloting their Tesla or whatever. That should count for something. :D

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
The problem is there are many stupid people who will think the car can drive for them or try and defeat systems designed to make the system foolproof ( see current issues with Tesla)

The tech is not safe yet and likely never will be a human will still need to be in control
Those are usually the same stupid people who drive while eating breakfast and having an argument with their SO over text. The bar is pretty low to get a system that drives better than them.

Reactions: sdotjeezy

·
Registered
296 Posts
And the ones flying the plane with the computer are far more experienced and trained for things in case something should go awry, unlike the average joe piloting their Tesla or whatever. That should count for something. :D
You don't think pilots don't pay attention to what the airplane is doing?

Have you ever heard of CAT 3?

·
Registered
18,240 Posts

Why do you want humans driving? We are the most error prone things to actually drive a car IE, setting on AP and then not intervening when it's needed.

The stats are still young but almost all "self" driving vehicles are safer than their human counterpart.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Why do you want humans driving? We are the most error prone things to actually drive a car IE, setting on AP and then not intervening when it's needed.

The stats are still young but almost all "self" driving vehicles are safer than their human counterpart.
Imagine if there was this big twitter dustup every single time a human was involved in an accident not using FSD. Maybe if we came up with an acronym for Human operators...and create a stir every time one goes to a bar, gets ****faced then plows into a mom driving her child home from daycare. FSD doesn't get drunk, FSD doesn't text it's BFF, FSD doesn't try to put on makeup and operate at the same time...& FSD doesn't get road rage nor does FSD try to do a 130mph flyby in front of a car meet down an interstate service road.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Imagine if there was this big twitter dustup every single time a human was involved in an accident not using FSD. Maybe if we came up with an acronym for Human operators...and create a stir every time one goes to a bar, gets ****faced then plows into a mom driving her child home from daycare. FSD doesn't get drunk, FSD doesn't text it's BFF, FSD doesn't try to put on makeup and operate at the same time...& FSD doesn't get road rage nor does FSD try to do a 130mph flyby in front of a car meet down an interstate service road.
Plus FSD never goes through the teenage learning-to-drive-but-overconfident phase (not after the initial deployment at least). And every time FSD learns from a mistake made on one vehicle, the entire fleet (at least for that brand) learns that lesson for good. And FSD doesn't care if you are late to your appointment and won't try to drive like you are at the track.

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Premium Member
35,769 Posts
Logically-speaking, the standard for a self-driving system is not perfection. It only needs to be safer than the average human driver to improve the overall safety of the fleet. Of course, most of us tend to hold others to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. We also tend to fear things we don't understand more than the things we understand even if the former is a lesser danger (e.g., acts of terrorism and mass shootings create hysteria even though they only account for a small % of homicides). So, in practice (and illogically), people will want self-driving systems to be much, much better than the average human driver to be acceptable.
Yes indeed. Unfortunately the self-driving bot does not yet have an "Idiot at the wheel" setting. (Or should I say, "Idiot in back seat asleep or doing something funny" setting.)
Little hint for ya there, Elon! No extra charge, I am here to serve the public!

Well, who else drives cars? I mean, other than chimps and the dogs in Soobie Doobie Doo ads?

Reactions: eklauss

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Do you expect it to be perfect right out of the box?
I expect them to not call a car self driving unless it is actually self-driving!!

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I expect them to not call a car self driving unless it is actually self-driving!!
I'm not aware of any car company that does. Calling current systems "self-driving" is largely done by poorly-informed media types.

·
Registered
296 Posts
So you say.
Meaning what?

Do you sit on a airplane and not worry about the fact that a computer is controlling where you are going?

In the beginning pilots complained about the fly by wire systems and CAT 1,2,3 systems being put on modern airplanes. Then after they spent time in the new airplanes they realized they were wrong and now the aviation community accept the new technology and can't live without it.

You people that push back against autonomous cars are being delusional. They point to this incident or that (just like in the beginning with airplanes) incident. As being a reason to reject the technology, when in actually the systems will prove to be worth every dollar invested. Just like in the aviation industry.

So yes I did say.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
A computer flying a plane is much easier than driving a car. Airplanes don't have anything to run into - trees, other planes, pedestrians, guard rails, etc. And auto landing uses landing aids on-board and at the airport with fixed glide paths. There are much less variables for planes as compared to cars.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Why though? Auto Pilot on planes still requires a pilot and they can even land themselves now.
Yeah, the obsession with Autopilot name is weird. Do people expect automatic rifles to fire without a person being involved too?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts