GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...okay, they're somewhat vague specifics, but at least it's more than, "we need to be better"...

Cadillac's coming back, but job isn't done yet, official says
By K.C. CRAIN | Automotive News

Cadillac is on its way back but isn't there yet, said Marketing General Manager Mark LaNeve.

"What we do next will determine whether we can complete this renaissance or go down in history as having a couple of really good years," he said last week at the Automotive News World Congress.

LaNeve said Cadillac's plan to become the standard of the world has several components:

Product. Maintain strength in large luxury sedans and SUVs and enter key growth segments. Also use the V-series to re-establish a reputation for power and performance. An ultraluxury Cadillac is part of the plan.

Image. Build awareness for Cadillac's new products and extend the association with Led Zeppelin through 2004.

Dealer network. Retain profitable, premium dealers. Build consistency in dealerships, inside and out.

Residual values. Continue building residual values. The SRX, XLR and CTS are competitive with the imports.

Customer satisfaction. Continue to improve scores. Cadillac rose to second in 2003 on J.D. Power and Associates' Initial Quality Study.

LaNeve said Cadillac plans to open 75 dealerships in Europe, including 25 exclusive Cadillac-Corvette stores, by 2007.

In the question-and-answer session after his speech, LaNeve was asked why Cadillac would never sell cars less expensive than the CTS. The answer: Other GM brands occupy that territory.

Asked to name Cadillac's main competitors, he cited Lincoln in North America with the Navigator and Town Car. Globally, he said, they are BMW, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz.

Another questioner asked whether the XLR will hurt sales of the Chevrolet Corvette, with which it shares a platform. Since they are such different cars, LaNeve said, it's unlikely.

source

·
Registered
164 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Jan 23 2004, 10:21 PM
Cadillac BADLY needs at least one 4 passenger coupe. RWD, distinctive styling, V8 power and starting around $40k.

How can they be "Standard of the World" without a coupe? How do they expect to build a younger image with sedans and SUVs....family cars.

BMW and MBZ have 2 coupe body styles each, with convertible variants no less. These are in addition to the roadster models. Even Audi and Infiniti are in this market.
Strongly agree!! Caddy needs more models!! :bounce:
NEWCOMMERS are XLR, SRX, CTS-V, STS BE HERE SOON

·
Registered
160 Posts
Its funny, I don't think the 300C is very pretty, however the
technology is probably on par with Cadillac, and when road tested,
I'm sure it will pump out some impressive numbers no matter how refined or
ugly it is.

If Cadillac brought back the 1970 500 Cubic Inch Fleetwood Engine, and made it
technologically advanced and put it into a "sixteen" styled DTS, I'd think we'd have a winner.

·
Registered
44,049 Posts
Originally posted by azhimel@Jan 23 2004, 07:41 PM
If Cadillac brought back the 1970 500 Cubic Inch Fleetwood Engine, and made it
technologically advanced and put it into a "sixteen" styled DTS, I'd think we'd have a winner.
Good God No!!
Cadillac already has the XV12 Northstar!! It's about as high-tech as you can get! And it already pumps out 500HP.

·
Registered
44,049 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Jan 23 2004, 05:21 PM
Cadillac BADLY needs at least one 4 passenger coupe.  RWD, distinctive styling, V8 power and starting around $40k.

How can they be "Standard of the World" without a coupe?  How do they expect to build a younger image with sedans and SUVs....family cars.
I'm sure a "CTC" or an "STC" is being planned already. Even Lutz has seen models for a "CTC" (CTS Coupe) and has said "I sure hope they find a way to get that built." But I wouldn't plan on seeing one until at least 2006 at the very earliest.
Besides, I wonder how many people actually buy a "personal sports coupe" these days, when the trend seems to be towards "sports sedans" and "crossover SUV."

If "CTC" is produced, it would most likely compete with the CLK's and G35. If "STC" is produced, it's essentially an El Dorado revival (can't use "E" anymore becuase that designation belongs to Escalade) and would compete against the CL's and the 6-series. All of which are very competent "personal sports coupes."

Another way to look at it is, "Do we really need 6 Sigma-based cars in 1 lineup?" (CTS, CTS-V, STS, SRX, "CTC" and "STC.") Not to mention the potential STS-V and other V-series cars. Big questions an only vague answers.

And You don't need to have a "family" to enjoy a sport sedan. I've got 2. I prefer the sedans because it gives me more room to work with (I'm 6'3") and doesn't crunch people who sit behind me when I decide to carry people.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
When news first came out, I heard the Sigma plant only had the capacity for only 4 different vehicles. Someone straighten that out for me, it must have been old news that wasn't confirmed yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Jan 24 2004, 05:02 AM
However, I think an interesting story lies in the demographics. Coupe buyers tend to be younger, higher income and overall more hip then typical sedan buyers. The same is true for imported vs. domestic car buyers....i.e. younger people are more likely to buy imports.

So the bottom line is, if you're over 60, you see a coupe as impractical...your wife complains about the heavy doors, friends complain about getting out of the back seat, etc. On the other hand, if you're 30, you're more likely to be single, and want a stylish car to impress your girlfriends. Your buddies don't mind sitting in the back seat. So Lesabre and Deville coupes are dead...while Accord and 330Ci coupes still do well.

When it comes to Cadillac wanting to shed their image as a retiree car....their best solution is to build a stylish coupe. The best possible image you can have is being a luxury car bought by young people. As they say in the car business....you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man.
Uh, I believe the XLR is considered a coupe with two doors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Considering all Cadillac competitors:
MERCEDES-BENZ
BMW
LEXUS (TOYOTA)
INFINTI (NISSAN)
ACURA (HONDA)
VOLKSWAGEN (PHAETON)
LINCOLN- (THEY'RE COMING OUT WITH A RWD FLAGSHIP) :D

FUTURE COMPETITORS:
Rolls-Royce
Maybach
Bentley

As you can see Cadillac will play with 2 MARKETS, the average luxury you can anywhere on the road and then the extremely upscale rare sedans.
Cadillac can do!! It needs a car in the $80,000-$120,000 to compete with the BMW
7- Series, and then they need a super luxury sedan to compete with Maybach 57
~~~$290,000-$330,000!! Wheter they put a V-12 or V-16 in this car, is will be nice!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats true, later Cadillac can put the XV12 Northstar into a
"Sixteen Styled" DTS, and call it a DTSv. This will make cadillac compete with
the upcoming S-Class and 7-Series.

·
Registered
44,049 Posts
Originally posted by babershah@Jan 24 2004, 05:20 PM
As you can see Cadillac will play with 2 MARKETS, the average luxury you can anywhere on the road and then the extremely upscale rare sedans.
Cadillac can do!! It needs a car in the $80,000-$120,000 to compete with the BMW
7- Series, and then they need a super luxury sedan to compete with Maybach 57
~~~$290,000-$330,000!! Wheter they put a V-12 or V-16 in this car, is will be nice!!
Yup... Cadillac will be exactly where it was 80 years ago. :lol:
GM still needs to devise a platform that will carry this new sedan/coupe. And it will design and/or refine the engine for the car. Etc etc etc.

I can't wait to see the car that I can't possibly afford. :blink: :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
44,049 Posts
Originally posted by azhimel@Jan 25 2004, 10:44 PM
Thats true, later Cadillac can put the XV12 Northstar into a
"Sixteen Styled" DTS, and call it a DTSv. This will make cadillac compete with
the upcoming S-Class and 7-Series.
<_< Not if the DTS remains FWD as is rumored.
DTS w/ 4WD.... maybe... assuming it's luxurious enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts