·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Very sad that such a fine car could be saddled with such a lack luster interior

This interior looks state of the art circa 1993... My 2002 has a nicer dash, gauge cluster and stack...

COME ON GM! We know you are going to kill this car off in a year or two... do you have to make it so damn obvious. Can't we at least try a little to compete. This effort is just throwing in the towel.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
sickening for a 70-100k Cadillac. Just SICKENING!

Embarrassing, lacking, not desireable. Not worth price of admission.

Those are the first words that come to mind. I appreciate the leather dash but honestly, the Corvette may look better from a design perspective, IMO!

The put different graphics, leather dash, and a STS steering wheel on it and called it a day. Why NOT just lift CTS/Chinese STS interior into this vehicle??? Seriously, the 33k CTS interior wayyyyy outclasses this embarrassment. Very sad that Cadillac does NOT WANT TO COMPETE with the worlds best and settle for 'good enough'.

Cadillac SHOULD be treated just like CHEVY VOLT: a la, no expense spared, top notch people putting forth maximum effort to design the world's greatest automobiles. I'd take practically ANY other vehicle at XLR pricepoint over it, especially interior wise.

Very sad, especially when I desire to be a 'part of the club' of the Cadillac brand. I would NOT spend my hard earned money on 'that' interior. I don't care how good the rest of the car was.......ExTREMELY disappointed. I Understand it was a business decision since they don't sell enough of them and want a low cost update, but that is just IN-EXCUSABLE in a 100k Vehicle!!!!!!! It's not a 22k Cobalt where you can 'look the other way'...its your most costly flagship vehicle for the entire brand/company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CobaltSS

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
how embarrassing I wasn't expecting a total interior makeover but i was hoping Caddy would at least make an interior that justified the high price of this vehicle but they failed and settled for good enough. Even the New CTS interior at 33k is much more luxurious and much more refined then this pathetic effort

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
sickening for a 70-100k Cadillac. Just SICKENING!

Embarrassing, lacking, not desireable. Not worth price of admission.

Those are the first words that come to mind. I appreciate the leather dash but honestly, the Corvette may look better from a design perspective, IMO!

The put different graphics, leather dash, and a STS steering wheel on it and called it a day. Why NOT just lift CTS/Chinese STS interior into this vehicle??? Seriously, the 33k CTS interior wayyyyy outclasses this embarrassment. Very sad that Cadillac does NOT WANT TO COMPETE with the worlds best and settle for 'good enough'.

Cadillac SHOULD be treated just like CHEVY VOLT: a la, no expense spared, top notch people putting forth maximum effort to design the world's greatest automobiles. I'd take practically ANY other vehicle at XLR pricepoint over it, especially interior wise.

Very sad, especially when I desire to be a 'part of the club' of the Cadillac brand. I would NOT spend my hard earned money on 'that' interior. I don't care how good the rest of the car was.......ExTREMELY disappointed. I Understand it was a business decision since they don't sell enough of them and want a low cost update, but that is just IN-EXCUSABLE in a 100k Vehicle!!!!!!! It's not a 22k Cobalt where you can 'look the other way'...its your most costly flagship vehicle for the entire brand/company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CobaltSS

*Over reaction alert* ;) LOL, I agree it's not at all impressive though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This whole change seems kind of pointless, not enough for any cutomer to really notice. Heck with the number of mules they've caught it seems like they've spent more money building test cars then on the part changes themselves!

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
And here I thought Lutz and Welburn were to usher in a Renaissance at GM, Cadillac in particular......with this "refresh" it is clear that GM is still stuck in the "two steps forward, one step back" mode that keeps them forever playing catch up with the competition...when I was a kid everyone was trying to catch up to GM!!

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
This whole change seems kind of pointless, not enough for any cutomer to really notice. Heck with the number of mules they've caught it seems like they've spent more money building test cars then on the part changes themselves!
Every car, regardless of the number of changes (even when they have no changes) has mule cars. Anywhere from 25 to 250 depending on the overall platform totals.

Engineering needs something to test with, and everyone can't share.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
That is very disappointing

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I don't see where all the criticism comes from. I love the interior as it carries the same angular theme as the exterior and has a clean, uncluttered design. All I'd ask for is a little bit more detail, updated controls and the use of a real chunk of aluminum as the center stack/console bezel.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't see where all the criticism comes from. I love the interior as it carries the same angular theme as the exterior and has a clean, uncluttered design. All I'd ask for is a little bit more detail, updated controls and the use of a real chunk of aluminum as the center stack/console bezel.
The problem IMO is caddys failure to make the interior worthy of a car in this price range. A base XLR starts out at a little over 80,000 dollars and can go as high as 100,000 dollars for a fully equipped V model. When you get into prices this high you expect exterior and interior styling that reflects and justifies the high price for such a car. The exterior styling of the XLR is forgivable but the interior does not match what you would typically find in a car worth 100 grand and up. Again as i sated in my last post i wasn't expecting any significant changes interior wise but GM could have put in a better effort than what they did into the interior of the XLR

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Uh-huh....

Anyone who puts down $86,000-104,000 for an XLR that has THIS pathetic attempt at a roadster... needs a psych evaluation...

It is a COMPLETE EMBARRASMENT!!
NOT in this segment.
NOT in this price class.
NOT AGAINST THE MERCEDES SL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
It is not possible for GM to be this stupid.... but they are.... They really are.
One can only hope that this is some sad attempt at a mule because if not, it's best Cadillac kill the car now, and redirect resources to Corvette.

Best for Cadillac go get the hell out of the $55,000+ market. It is quite obvious they are INCAPABLE of doing what it takes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Uh-huh....

Anyone who puts down $86,000-104,000 for an XLR that has THIS pathetic attempt at a roadster... needs a psych evaluation...

It is a COMPLETE EMBARRASMENT!!
NOT in this segment.
NOT in this price class.
NOT AGAINST THE MERCEDES SL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
It is not possible for GM to be this stupid.... but they are.... They really are.
One can only hope that this is some sad attempt at a mule because if not, it's best Cadillac kill the car now, and redirect resources to Corvette.

Best for Cadillac go get the hell out of the $55,000+ market. It is quite obvious they are INCAPABLE of doing what it takes.
Have you thought maybe there is a reason they CAN'T change the interior, I dunno maybe perhaps the same reason the Corvette interior looks like it is from 1999?

GM is smart enough to know what it needs to do, they are not blind enough to see that it is worse, we have seen this in their new interior, that are on NEW models, you will notice the XLR dates back to 2003, and any interior update has been on new generation models, not facelifts.

You will see an amazing XLR, once you see an Amazing corvette, meaning the new generation.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
They REALLY need a new interior! How hard is it to update here and there????? Chrome? More exotic wood choices??? So sad...

If that is the final interior, GM messed this up bad. Definitely not a halo car.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I actually really like the front end on this car.

The only difference that I see between what Cadillac has done to the XLR and what Mercedes has done to the SL is the Mercedes started with a top notch vehicle and Cadillac has not.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Have you thought maybe there is a reason they CAN'T change the interior, I dunno maybe perhaps the same reason the Corvette interior looks like it is from 1999?

GM is smart enough to know what it needs to do, they are not blind enough to see that it is worse, we have seen this in their new interior, that are on NEW models, you will notice the XLR dates back to 2003, and any interior update has been on new generation models, not facelifts.

You will see an amazing XLR, once you see an Amazing corvette, meaning the new generation.
NO.
What GM sees is a car that was supposed to sell 5,000 annually but barely cracks 3,000. So they will not do any significant advancements on the car, content to let the car run its course before killing it in 2-3 years.

The fundamental problem is... People are not going to buy crap. So you improve the car to the point that it isn't viewed as crap or a cheap alternative. But GM doesn't see it that way. XLR has failed. So why put in money to fix what is wrong with the failure? GM's thinking is bass ackwards. It also proves, that despite all the changes they have executed and are trying to execute, they still cannot and don't know how to build a car that people want.

What GM is attempting to sell here is a car that is now 5 years old with barely any significant enhancements to justify an $85,000 price tag.

Look at the fonts on the IP and on the shifter. That is the same cartoon font that launched with the Gen 1 CTS!! For crying out loud. GM couldn't pick a better font?? Something more luxurious and not deserving of a Marvel Comic Book?? How hard is it to change a font? Or even a bezel around the shifter? At least they did that... with that cheapie plastic chrome. You know even a Mercury Sable actually uses real brushed nickel??

If GM's going to spend so much time on their flagship... why not do it right in the first place and actually make it competitive? Why not make it look like it is actually worth and deserves to be $85,000!!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.