GM Inside News Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAAHA You're very funny...riddle me this, if they've been doing development on SuperCruise on the XT6 the whole time, why didn't the "Top Spec" model they unveiled at least have a mock up of the SC hardware in it? It's not like it had to be fully operational or anything, its just a show car. Why didn't it have the SC steering wheel?
And you'll also note that the debut of the weaker G4 V-series cars that they knew they'd had to balm with a tease of more powerful cars was made with... SuperCruise steering wheels on both cars.

"Look, we have SuperCruise!" so you can put your "driver's cars" that are weaker than you expected on autopilot and fall asleep behind the wheel.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
And you'll also note that the debut of the weaker G4 V-series cars that they knew they'd had to balm with a tease of more powerful cars was made with... SuperCruise steering wheels on both cars.

"Look, we have SuperCruise!" so you can put your "driver's cars" that are weaker than you expected on autopilot and fall asleep behind the wheel.
I just find it so laughable how salty people are especially when they are found to be wrong. They just can’t admit that they are on the wrong side of the fence on this one. So sad. I guess the Benz isn’t putting a big enough smile on your face smh hahahaha

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAAHA You're very funny...riddle me this, if they've been doing development on SuperCruise on the XT6 the whole time, why didn't the "Top Spec" model they unveiled at least have a mock up of the SC hardware in it? It's not like it had to be fully operational or anything, its just a show car. Why didn't it have the SC steering wheel?
So explain to me how they can change all that tooling and designs in a few weeks when we know lead times are glacial in the auto industry? And we've seen it many times where not all features or engines are available initially but are six months down the road. You know all of this, you can't ignore it to fit your argument. And as far as the show car? It's exactly that, a show car. At the time they weren't planning on having supercruise at rollout, maybe even a year out. So they didn't include it. Or, to fit your view of GM, they were to stupid to realize it wasn't included. Then when the XT6 was introduced to unhappy people, they realized they needed some oomph and rushed the supercruise out.

·
Premium Member
11,313 Posts
So..maybe a V8 TT with AWD in CT5-V"something" and V6TT with optional AWD in CT4-V something.
FYI, ATS-V = 3.6 TT V6 with 464 hp @ 5,850 rpm and 445 lb ft @ 3,500 rpm,
that's scary fast.

And yes, now that the S/C 6.2 has been deemed unacceptable in a Cadillac car,
Blackwing it is for more efficiency and just a better package all round.

In most road situations, the two TT V6 are more than enough power and torque for most drivers, forced induction V8 just takes all of that way over the top - many would say overkill but the folks addicted to power just love that Cadillac is going around again with track cars...

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
FYI, ATS-V = 3.6 TT V6 with 464 hp @ 5,850 rpm and 445 lb ft @ 3,500 rpm,
that's scary fast..
I think 369 lb ft @ 1800 rpm will be as quick at the stoplight grand prix and probably more fun in everyday driving, just not a winner at a racetrack. Presumably, the 2.7 is significantly lighter than any GM V6, too.

How ridiculous is it to get a 400-500 hp sport sedan and then want to have Supercruise for interstate traffic jams (what else is it truly good for, besides junk measurement)? What a downer if that's what you have to drive in 90% of the time.

I'm not sold on autonomous driving (or EVs), but I'm an old fart who badly wanted to drive from the age of 12. The only young people I can understand not wanting to drive live in urban areas like Manhattan.

Unexpectedly, I found the bronze edition CTS-V attractive in real life pictures.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
So explain to me how they can change all that tooling and designs in a few weeks when we know lead times are glacial in the auto industry? And we've seen it many times where not all features or engines are available initially but are six months down the road. You know all of this, you can't ignore it to fit your argument. And as far as the show car? It's exactly that, a show car. At the time they weren't planning on having supercruise at rollout, maybe even a year out. So they didn't include it. Or, to fit your view of GM, they were to stupid to realize it wasn't included. Then when the XT6 was introduced to unhappy people, they realized they needed some oomph and rushed the supercruise out.
They made an effort to
1. Mention SC being available on the CT4/CT5 at launch
2. Show off a CT4/5 equipped w/ SC

In the XT6 they:
1. Made no initial mention of SC
2. Showed 2 variants, neither w/ SC

then...they
1. were absolutely hammered on pricing of a fully loaded WITHOUT supercruise XT6
2. announce via the freaking CEO, that the XT6 will have SC at launch

Now we:
1. Still don't have build and price 1 month out from job 1
- my assumption is final packages haven't been finalized because SC still isn't certified
2. Still haven't seen a SC equipped variant 6 months after initial unveiling
3. Supposed to believe that this was planned from start

Nope...I'm no fool. Maybe they had it planned for year 2...maybe not, but you don't roll out a vehicle and it's supposed flagship piece of tech is missing. no mention, no nothing.

To JZChev who mentioned that SC had to be baked into the platform...help me understand this...we just saw 2 cars rolled out built on the Alpha platform that have SC...you mean to tell me that the 8 year old Alpha platform was built w/ the intention of Supercruise proliferating down to it? Nah...I don't think it was, there was some retrofitting involved there.

·
Registered
701 Posts
So what possibility is there that the ATS coupe gets a re-skin and new interior to become the New CT4 coupe. Everything forward of the windshield would be identical, the interior would need specific door trim, but beyond that, the dash/console/front seats would probably be shared.

The rear of the car would share some sedan elements like the tail lights and bumpers, so the investment in this car would likely be less than 30% (plucked that percentage from my butt!) over a ‘from the ground up’ design.
This is my thoughts as well. I’ll stay hopeful that this comes true

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
The CTS-V has imo the best looking front end clip of all of the Super sedans. It’s so good that if they’d put the regular Corvette V8 in it, removed the hood vent to tone it down, and sold it for $70K fully loaded as a mid point CTS with the look of the V Series, they’d have sold tons of them. Thinking about that for a moment, and the new entry point V’s are starting to make more sense

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
So what possibility is there that the ATS coupe gets a re-skin and new interior to become the New CT4 coupe.
Zero

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
They made an effort to
1. Mention SC being available on the CT4/CT5 at launch
2. Show off a CT4/5 equipped w/ SC

In the XT6 they:
1. Made no initial mention of SC
2. Showed 2 variants, neither w/ SC

then...they
1. were absolutely hammered on pricing of a fully loaded WITHOUT supercruise XT6
2. announce via the freaking CEO, that the XT6 will have SC at launch

Now we:
1. Still don't have build and price 1 month out from job 1
- my assumption is final packages haven't been finalized because SC still isn't certified
2. Still haven't seen a SC equipped variant 6 months after initial unveiling
3. Supposed to believe that this was planned from start

Nope...I'm no fool. Maybe they had it planned for year 2...maybe not, but you don't roll out a vehicle and it's supposed flagship piece of tech is missing. no mention, no nothing.

To JZChev who mentioned that SC had to be baked into the platform...help me understand this...we just saw 2 cars rolled out built on the Alpha platform that have SC...you mean to tell me that the 8 year old Alpha platform was built w/ the intention of Supercruise proliferating down to it? Nah...I don't think it was, there was some retrofitting involved there.
I don't see any compelling proof or compelling line of logic from your post to change my opinion.

As far as your ATS to CT4 analogy, the redesign from ATS to CT4 included supercruise, so it was "baked in" during the redesign, all the new tooling included it, just like the CT4. And when I say baked in, that means the tooling has the capability to make cutouts in the sheet metal for sensors and interior pieces, wiring harness includes the proper wiring, part suppliers have all the information, computer parts have the right software, buttons/displays in the dashboard, and the supply chain is capable of providing all of the parts, etc. That stuff does not appear overnight, MB can't just wave a magic wand and take a car not intended to have this feature all of a sudden have it in a week. The XT6 was planned to have this tech, just not at start.

Possibly demographics of who will buy the XT6 vs. CT4 dictated why CT4 had it at launch and XT6 didn't initially. My guess is the type of person buying a CT4 will be more interested in tech vs. the XT6's "mom" demographic. GM even admitted that the XT6 was rushed/placeholder just to get something out to market because they badly misread the market many years ago. I really don't know why the XT6/supercruise thing is such a major ah-ha moment for you.

We all get it, you do not like Cadillac. I like Cadillac, I have an ATS, I love my ATS - imperfections and all. You will not sway me to buy another brand.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Is this Super Cruise discussion still going on? Jesus Christ! I swear some people here just have on speed-dial something to bitch about. Cadillac announced that SC will be available on every vehicle it sells by 2020.. I believe 'em. It may even be Level 3. I will say this and I will say this hard.. Please don't push this tech out in mass like Tesla and have fools riding around hands-free killing themselves and innocent bystanders. Having it in the CT6 was fine.. Sales are limited.. Putting it in a vehicle that is going to sell in droves.. Be sure it works 100%

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,177 Posts
I don't even want Super Cruise.
Fortunately it is something that's easy to spot in photos, so if I'm perusing AutoTrader, Cars.com, CarGurus, etc. I will pass on that car.

I drive the car, the car does not drive me. I don't play with cell phones while I'm driving.
The standard suite of driver aids is more than enough...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I don't see any compelling proof or compelling line of logic from your post to change my opinion.

As far as your ATS to CT4 analogy, the redesign from ATS to CT4 included supercruise, so it was "baked in" during the redesign, all the new tooling included it, just like the CT4. And when I say baked in, that means the tooling has the capability to make cutouts in the sheet metal for sensors and interior pieces, wiring harness includes the proper wiring, part suppliers have all the information, computer parts have the right software, buttons/displays in the dashboard, and the supply chain is capable of providing all of the parts, etc. That stuff does not appear overnight, MB can't just wave a magic wand and take a car not intended to have this feature all of a sudden have it in a week. The XT6 was planned to have this tech, just not at start.

Possibly demographics of who will buy the XT6 vs. CT4 dictated why CT4 had it at launch and XT6 didn't initially. My guess is the type of person buying a CT4 will be more interested in tech vs. the XT6's "mom" demographic. GM even admitted that the XT6 was rushed/placeholder just to get something out to market because they badly misread the market many years ago. I really don't know why the XT6/supercruise thing is such a major ah-ha moment for you.

We all get it, you do not like Cadillac. I like Cadillac, I have an ATS, I love my ATS - imperfections and all. You will not sway me to buy another brand.
Not trying to sway you to another brand...just trying to let you know that that isn't rain running down your leg. I don't hate Cadillac...foolishly I guess, I just expect better from them. They have 2 world class platforms, Alpha and Omega and instead of building their next gen of CUVs off of them, they reach down into the corporate parts bin and cobble together a Cadillac Equinox, Blazer, and Traverse...Why are they building FWD entry level lux CUVs when GM supposedly has an entire division to handle entry level lux? Instead of continuing and building the V sport brand...that didn't sell, they go ahead and drag down the V Series brand, that also didn't sell well last gen, but had street cred - to sneak a few unsuspecting sales. If that works for you then fine, whatever floats your boat.

I guess Alec Baldwin via SNL's description of a certain band of followers applies here "You guys stand by (Cadillac) no matter what. Its like you found a finger in your chili, but you still eat the chili because you told everyone how much you love chili....its tremendous"...to that I echo Alec...enjoy your finger chili.

All of my bitching about Cadillac aside, I'm going to take a hard look at a CT5 this holiday season...I'm in the market and leasing is definitely out of question due to my daily 80mi round trip commute so I have to purchase and as we all know, you NEVER buy a new BMW/MB/Audi 'cuz maintenance and all, and Cadillac is budget luxury...which sort of fits my cheap ass.

BTW, I know the XT4 isn't an Equinox...I just said that for dramatic effect.

Just re-read your post re: "Demographics" you think the buyer of an ATS-V "high performance" sedan is more likely to prefer SC than a XT6 "People mover" ...that doesn't pass the sniff test, but hey what do I know. Maybe the computer likes to drive fast as well....A.I. is here.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts