GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Am I alone in hoping the CT5-V gets the CTS-V motor (with enhancements of course..ZR1 engine?) rather than the BLACKWING V8?

Let the CT5-V be the bruiser of the Range, and put the 500HP BLACKWING V8 in the CT4-V.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,476 Posts
I strongly disagree. This was planned well in advance.

Cadillac knew full-well the introduction of a new, less powerful set of V cars would have everyone screaming. We all rose to the bait. Journalists and arm-chair experts with Internet access have been on fire for the last 40 hours. This was planned to show that what they told everyone about the more powerful versions coming is true.

"Keep 'em guessin'"
That's what I tend to think. It was done on purpose to get attention. The internet will get all hopped up no matter which way they do it, mundane first-high power later or vice versa. But... I still want one painted up like that blue one ;)

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
That's what I tend to think. It was done on purpose to get attention. The internet will get all hopped up no matter which way they do it, mundane first-high power later or vice versa. But... I still want one painted up like that blue one ;)
“The CT6 will be going out of production next year” Reuss: “Not really you misunderstood us!”

“The XT6 won’t launch with Supecruise for the first model year” Mary: “The XT6 will have Supercruise from launch”

Yep I’m seeing a pattern of brilliant well thought out messaging here.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
“The CT6 will be going out of production next year” Reuss: “Not really you misunderstood us!”

“The XT6 won’t launch with Supecruise for the first model year” Mary: “The XT6 will have Supercruise from launch”

Yep I’m seeing a pattern of brilliant well thought out messaging here.
It's terrible messaging, but I'm of the opinion that the XT6 was never intended to have Supercruise...they're only adding it now because they were raked over the coals at the initial launch for not having the feature. This explains why you still don't have final pricing available for the first run even though they probably should already be in production if they're supposed to be available mid-2019...which is kinda like right now right?

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
The CT5 looks so much better in camo where you cannot see that hideous C-pillar!
The Orange CT5 V Series looks fantastic imo. I wouldn’t buy it in that color, but it certainly looks great, and the C Pillar is just one minor detail. The C class has a hideous detail which is a massive demerit imo. It looks like an S Class with dwarfism, and is from the jellybean school of design.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
So the sheet metal looks pretty much the same as the cars from yesterday except the front quarter panels. They are wider behind the wheel and include vents.

Thanks. That confirms these are the full blown V’s. The Fenders look flared on this CT5-V versus the entry point version.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
It's terrible messaging, but I'm of the opinion that the XT6 was never intended to have Supercruise...they're only adding it now because they were raked over the coals at the initial launch for not having the feature. This explains why you still don't have final pricing available for the first run even though they probably should already be in production if they're supposed to be available mid-2019...which is kinda like right now right?
I believe SOP is Late July/August. If XT6 was never intended to get Supercruise there is no way they’d get it developed and in production that quickly.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
The same Mark Reuss that drove another GM vehicle into a retaining wall at last year's Detroit Grand Prix? :eek:

Was gonna say, would be a shame if he Paul Walkered his way across life's finish line.

I bet they didn't intially plan on a "preview" of these vehicles at the Detroit Chevrolet Grand Prix. Brilliant marketing turnaround though. Sad it took the internet to light Caddy's ass on fire for them to shut everyone up. Glad they did this though - No one heard "track capable V's are coming" no matter how many times it was said or read.

BTW: Those fascias behind the mesh cover-up look more deep, aggressive and far more in line with the outgoing V-Series cars.

#Sidenote I wonder what the attendees heard coming from both cars exhausts as they lapped... I'm so eager to know.
Yes, a better title: Cadillac enters damage control mode after major PR blunder.

CT4-V should have been a Vsport, full stop. CT5-V should have just been the 3.0 in the base car anyway.

I strongly disagree. This was planned well in advance.

Cadillac knew full-well the introduction of a new, less powerful set of V cars would have everyone screaming. We all rose to the bait. Journalists and arm-chair experts with Internet access have been on fire for the last 40 hours. This was planned to show that what they told everyone about the more powerful versions coming is true.

"Keep 'em guessin'"
There was no bait to rise to. All this proves is that Cadillac knew people would be upset, and went ahead with the plan anyway—eschewing 15 years of V heritage and an already established, underutilized and very self-explanatory sub-brand in Vsport in favor of putting a V on everything like they're AMG and have the legitimacy and credibility to burn to great effect.

All it proves is that Cadillac is WILLFULLY making ignorant decisions.

Yes, GM has proven time and again a history of Machiavellian PR and product decisions. It's all part of the plan, goys.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I believe SOP is Late July/August. If XT6 was never intended to get Supercruise there is no way they’d get it developed and in production that quickly.
If XT6 was going to have SuperCruise at launch...I think they would've mentioned it in the initial press release. Think about it like this, they probably don't have to do much in development, much of the work is going to be on retrofitting the platform to accept the SuperCruise hardware. I'm pretty sure they baked some portability into it when they developed it initially.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Doesn't look like it.

So perhaps that indicates the Blackwing V8 for the CT5-V versus the Corvette motor. Possibly they don’t need as much venting on the new V8, or it lets it out at the back of the hood? Not sure what that does to the downforce though.

The CT5 has vents at the front of the wheel well opening as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
So perhaps that indicates the Blackwing V8 for the CT5-V versus the Corvette motor. Possibly they don’t need as much venting on the new V8, or it lets it out at the back of the hood? Not sure what that does to the downforce though.
It's interesting that they didn't include a hood vent. It's the first thing I looked for, as it's usually a Cadillac staple on V Series cars.

I was under the impression that a heavy DOHC TTV8 would need a lot of cooling, but the E63 and M5 don't use hood vents either:

E63 AMG S (4.0TT V8)

But then again, the whole entire front end of it is essentially an air intake.

M5 (4.4 TTV8)

Same thing with this too.

Reactions: SKH

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
It's interesting that they didn't include a hood vent. It's the first thing I looked for, as it's usually a Cadillac staple on V Series cars.

I was under the impression that a heavy DOHC TTV8 would need a lot of cooling, but the E63 and M5 don't use hood vents either:

E63 AMG S (4.0TT V8)

But then again, the whole entire front end of it is essentially an air intake.

M5 (4.4 TTV8)

Same thing with this too.
If the vents aren’t really needed other than for visuals, then not having them on the CT5 could keep costs down. If the CT5-V comes in $5-10K less than the CTS-V that’s a good thing. I often saw adds for the CTS-V with huge markdowns, so making them cheaper means they won’t have to discount the eff out of it, which kills residuals and does nothing to build or imply desirability.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If the vents aren’t really needed other than for visuals, then not having them on the CT5 could keep costs down. If the CT5-V comes in $5-10K less than the CTS-V that’s a good thing. I often saw adds for the CTS-V with huge markdowns, so making them cheaper means they won’t have to discount the eff out of it, which kills residuals and does nothing to build or imply desirability.
Autoweek is talking/speculating around $57K for CT5-V announced yesterday. Add $10K for Fire Breather??

CT4-V of course less.

https://autoweek.com/article/luxury...4qjX0rDGDSy_o4ttfnMX0ycssLkR1qlabviAzwTJi3Ayk

21 - 40 of 115 Posts