GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imagine this:

with the debut of new CTS-V, what's the point of STS-V?
it's completely overshadowed when it comes to exterior and interior design and engine power.
maybe a saving grace:
CADILLAC STS-V WITH 600 HP ZR-1 ENGINE+ SLS INTERIOR=AUDI RS 6 KILLER?

at least it can be a limited production automobile.

what are your opinions and viewpoints?
should Cadillac give it a shot?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The 09 CTS-V should already be considered a RS6 competitor. An upgraded STS-V like what you propose would be more properly seen as a S8 competitor or a slightly lesser version of the S63 AMG. I don't think BMW has any equivalent vehicle - they don't have an "M7".

That said, the ordinary STS by itself first should be upgraded before thinking of any variants.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No. If they have $100 extra R&D money they should spend it figuring out how to get the Cruze and Volt here 10 hours sooner. If they have money in the 'vette division then they should spend it making the 'vette more fuel efficient for 2010.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
No. If they have $100 extra R&D money they should spend it figuring out how to get the Cruze and Volt here 10 hours sooner. If they have money in the 'vette division then they should spend it making the 'vette more fuel efficient for 2010.
I totally disagree with you! You are not going to buy a Cruze or Volt, nor will I or anyone that isn't a tree hugger. So why get GM to spend their short monies on cars, only a few will buy, for money they won't make a profit on? I just wish people would understand, all the manufacturers occasionally look upon these sites for direction in product planning. An STS such as the one described would give $18K profit per unit. That's almost more money than the Cruze will cost. A Cruze will pocket GM about $850. Do the math how many must be sold to re-pay the 2 billion dollars tooling and start-up costs? And realize when that many are sold, GM hasn't made a dime! No money for loan re-payments.

A Company such as GM can only make it on high volume, large gross sales, they need to determine a way to do it. Gas prices have come down, and other manufacturer are bringing on line clean high mileage diesels.

:drive:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I totally disagree with you! You are not going to buy a Cruze or Volt, nor will I or anyone that isn't a tree hugger. So why get GM to spend their short monies on cars, only a few will buy, for money they won't make a profit on? I just wish people would understand, all the manufacturers occasionally look upon these sites for direction in product planning. An STS such as the one described would give $18K profit per unit. That's almost more money than the Cruze will cost. A Cruze will pocket GM about $850. Do the math how many must be sold to re-pay the 2 billion dollars tooling and start-up costs? And realize when that many are sold, GM hasn't made a dime! No money for loan re-payments.

A Company such as GM can only make it on high volume, large gross sales, they need to determine a way to do it. Gas prices have come down, and other manufacturer are bringing on line clean high mileage diesels.

...I'll let someone else chime in as to how your logic is flawed.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts

Cruze has the potential to sell 300k units
This super STS-V would cost GM a lot more. First, they would need to retune every single part of the car for the massive power of the LS9. They would also have to increase producton of the expensive engine. Then after you do all that, you would have to recertifiy the chassis powertrain combo as well as the interior also has to be coverd in higher grade leather, suede/Alcantara, larger brakes, larger everything.
Its MUCH more then just droping in an engine.

I concur with the first statement, any and all money should be moved to get any and all Delta/Gamma cars to market asap. Volt, Cruze, Aveo, and thier sister cars need to be here asap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts