·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
• 4.6L NorthStar V8 or 3.6L V6 VVT
• RWD or AWD option
• Magnetic Ride Control
• Sigma Architecture

More details will be posted here as soon as they are available.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
I guess my computer didn't load the image that you posted Rex...lol. Well the car is still nice, it will definitely do well....

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Yeah, it's ironic... you think they'd have given it an edge over the CTS. Not a bad looking car, but I expected Cadillac's flagship sedan to continue the evolution of Cadillac design, not take it backwards. Lutz softened up the STS before realizing what a success the CTS would be. Some visionary.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think it's great. You have to consider the market that the STS is in, is a lot diferent form the CTS. I think that the STS being more understated than the CTS is a very good idea. Way to go GM, now let's hope the interior is sufficiently upscale to make this baby competetive. :type:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Indeed- although I would prefer an edgier sedan, the average buyer of an STS is much older than the average buyer of a CTS-- so- they did good aiming at the market.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
So you're saying people that moving up from a CTS to an STS want to dull down the distinctiveness of the CTS they owned? I don't buy it.

And the other part of the market, trading in a BMW 7-series for example, is into softer stuff? Same poeple enticed by the edgy XLR?

The DTS is the car for the geriatric club.

Again, this STS is not a bad car by itself... but it's an unfortunate realization that we've seen all of Cadillac's edge (figurative and literal). Had they made it like a vanilla LS430, many of you would applaud... But let's remember what's pulling Cadillac out of its slump -- distinctive design. With the CTS already on the street, and given the SRX and XLR, I'm afraid the STS will just blend in. The flagship should not blend in.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I thought the photoshop image that Road and Track had several months ago looked better than this. Not bad, but it kind of looks like Arts&Science dumbed down. If Lutz wanted to change or refine the design direction for Cadillac towards the Sixteen, he should have done it more definatively than this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks like the CTS to me. A wider and longer CTS... Which is not a bad thing, but it's not a great thing either. What GM needs is a great automobile.., and the STS is not it. Someone at GM must've come up with the idea that since BMW's share a similar front end appearance.., Cadillac's could do the same. It's a good idea to develop a common theme for a brand. The difference is, BMW's models look a little different in the front whereas Cadillac's seem to be using the same headlight pods from model to model. I like the angular theme but stack the headlights a little differently, guys.

The availability of AWD is impressive but the market demand is rather thin for AWD, four-door luxury sedans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why didn't they show the new STS at the Detroit auto show? Obviously, it was ready since these pics are out now. I would have liked Cadillac to have come out with a vehicle similar to the sixteen, or at least, have a grill similar to the sixteen if you want to stick with the CTS look. The XLR, CTS, SRX and now the STS all have the exact same grille. How about some originality? I know the art and science theme has been successful but you just can't clone the exact same look over and over. At least the escalade still looks unique.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I saw one photoshop where it looked like the sixteen, now that was a hot car. If they take cadillac in that direction, i don't know who'd want to look at a benz or a lexus ever again.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
No way I like it. Deffinaly has more of a sedan look too it. Its very nice and I think GM did a good job here. I dont see any soft lines or anything, this continues the art and science idea out very well. AWD, 320hp 5spd auto... this is what Caddy is right now. New technology, great powerful cars is what caddy has been and should remain. Good job Caddy and GM.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I don't get why they didn't debut this at NAIAS either. Cadillac was notably absent from the press previews, especially after last year when they stole the show with the Sixteen.

Good point about BMWs sharing a general similarity, but not outright copy, for the exterior appearance of their cars. This new STS will be hard to distinguish from a CTS with a passing glance. Good for CTS owners, bad for STS owners.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Lichtronamo@Jan 14 2004, 04:33 PM
I don't get why they didn't debut this at NAIAS either. Cadillac was notably absent from the press previews, especially after last year when they stole the show with the Sixteen.

Good point about BMWs sharing a general similarity, but not outright copy, for the exterior appearance of their cars. This new STS will be hard to distinguish from a CTS with a passing glance. Good for CTS owners, bad for STS owners.
I dont know, when I see a BMW, At a glance, I cant tell the difference between a 3 or a 5 series. The STS will be a much bigger car and the lines on the rear are a bit different then on the CTS. It does not look like an CTS if you look at it, but maybe with the grill and all, you could confuse any new Caddy, sans the e'lade. I saw a long hooded CTS and then did a double take to realize it was really and XLR. I dont think thats having any effect on XLR sales as I hear they cant even keep them in the showrooms long enough to show off the product.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
There are many differences between the STS and CTS. I think many people are being too quick to judge. Take note of the following;

Different Grill - shape and proportions
Different Hood - Hood is straight across on the front
Different Headlights
Different opening below the bumper
Different Door Handles
Different Wheels

I think Cadillac is smart to develope a theme for all of their cars. Go to Cadillac.com and look at each one of the new vehilcs from the CTS, XLR, SRX, Escalade and now STS. They are all different, but yet so much the same. That is good for brand recognition. Take Lexus for example. Their cars and SUV's all look different. Besides the LS and GS (which look nothing alike) I can't tell the other Lexus vehilce apart from their Toyota clones. We can all be thankfull that GM is not doing that to Cadillac. No one will ever confuse a CTS for a Malibu or an Escalade for a Tahoe.

About the lack of a Detroit introduction, I'm sure that GM didn't want to steal the spotlight from the new Corvette. Besides, now every automotive journal and website is just going to be looking at one car... the 2005 Cadillac STS. Isn't that better than competing with other introductions?

Cadillac continues to do a wonderful job with their product. I just wish I could afford their cars. I will have to add the new STS to my dream garage next to my C6 Corvette and CTS-V.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts