GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
21,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Cadillac XT5 Gets First Video Teaser, Official Photos.
Carscoops
September 10, 2015
By: Dan Mihalascu

Here’s another quick look at the all-new 2017 Cadillac XT5, the successor to today's SRX, which will debut at the Dubai and Los Angeles auto shows in November.

Cadillac has released a teaser video called “Parallels: Public School,” in which we can see designers Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne from New York City’s Public School fashion label as they check out the 2017 XT5. Cadillac has a new fashion partnership with Public School, which will use the car as inspiration for a new clothing line. The partnership will also see the luxury crossover debut at venues around the world with the NYC-based fashion designers.

During a private kickoff event, Public School announced it would debut its Pre-Fall collection on the runway in Dubai, in collaboration with the launch of the 2017 Cadillac XT5. The designers will also create an XT5-inspired capsule collection for the special invited guests at the Dubai show in November.

“This is a new way for two American brands to join forces, share a passion for design and grow globally. For Cadillac, it gives new meaning to being a patron of the arts,” said Andrew Smith, Cadillac executive director of Global Design.

Unfortunately, the video doesn’t show too much: we only get to see close-ups of a seat, a steering wheel and materials used for the new crossover, before the front end of the XT5 surfaces in the final scene. Fortunately, Cadillac has also released some press shots which reveal the shape of the car.

The XT5 is reportedly based on GM’s new Chi platform that is expected to underpin a number of the company’s future crossovers, including the three-row Cadillac crossover to sit under the big, truck-based Escalade.

The 2017 Cadillac XT5 should be available with some of the engines destined for the CT6 sedan and other future models, including the updated version of GM’s 3.6-liter V6.

· Premium Member
21,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The entire vehicle looks too tall to me. Especially the front and rear in the pictures. The side view is just awkward with the DLO ending abruptly, leaving a big gap of sheet metal until you hit the trunk.

In the end, I think I like the outgoing SRX's design better.

· Premium Member
21,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m still not 100% sure why Cadillac separates the front vertical LED running lights.

I’ve seen a few Escalade and CTS on the road, and from a distance the lights blend into one, and look great. But once they get closer, the separation line appears and somewhat lessens the overall effect.
Probably some sort of stupid regulation they have to follow. I've long wondered the same thing.

· Premium Member
21,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Boo Hoo...:clap: Just admit it. It's better than you thought. I won't think bad about you. ;)
Thing is, it doesn't. It still looks like a hot mess. The proportions are terrible, the DLO is awkward, and the entire thing looks like it's jacked up on stilts. How this and the CT6 came out of the same design studio I'll never know.

The MKX is far better looking than it in my opinion.

· Premium Member
21,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
There's something "wrong" with the car itself. IT looks like they took an ELR and extruded it up and added a set of doors.
As with all Cadillacs seemingly, the front is fine, the sides and rear look like ****. The shield theme in the rear is a bit on the nose, I think.

I certainly hope the interior doesn't have that "Sponsored by Chevron" look the Escalade has. I expect a derivative of the CT6. Which means I'll think it's OK, and you'll hate it. lol

This is "better" than the outgoing SRX simply because the SRX looks cheap and never looked upscale in any way, shape or form. At least XT5 looks upscale. Whether or not it pulls off this look is to the eye of the beholder.
I missed your post!

It does look kinda like an ELR, which I don't mind, but it just looks... off? I don't know. I'm going to need to see this in person to make a final call, but so far, not so good...

Lol at the interior part. We'll see, but hopefully it's more CTS than CT6. I'm not holding my breath haha.

Pretty sure the buying public will strongly disagree.
We'll see. All new Cadillac products have basically landed with resounding thuds in the marketplace outside of the Escalade.

Again merely your opinion, and I'd say most people will look at this and see a cohesive and classy design. Do a poll, and my guess is that when all of the pictures of the exterior/interior are available more will like it than not, and by a good margin.
I actually might start a thread with a poll after I get back to work lol. :)

I don't think the exterior is going to matter to be honest, it's more the interior, technology, and dimensions with cars like these. Hopefully they nail the interior.

XT5 should priced around $39,995. That's my guess.
I think it'll depend on the base motor. If the 2.0T is standard, it'll probably be a little lower than that.

I could certainly see the high end variants being $60,000 to $65,000. It all depends what the opposition top out at.
No doubt. I think a Platinum AWD will come close to, if not pass $65,000. The MKX passes that price in BL trim IIRC.

Much, much , better looking than the current SRX. Looks well designed, without "awkward" styling like the Lexus, and very sleek. Would prefer LED lighting over HID. Still time to change this.
LEDs should be available on Platinum, no?

BTW if you prefer the MKX over this I can certainly understand that, as the MKX is a very good looking and tasteful effort on Lincoln's part. IMO Both Lincoln and Cadillac are schooling most of the competitors with how to make a classy and understated visually appealing CUV/SUV without referring to the origami school of car design, or predator movies.
I really like the new Lincoln design language. I also like Cadillac's recent design language (CT6 is hot), but this one leaves me cold for some reason. I think the MKX looks better, but we'll see how this fares in person.

· Premium Member
21,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.