GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A minor glitch with the automatic transmission is the cause for the recall of 17,301 MY2004 Cadillac SRX crossovers. NHSTA reports that an unknown number of these vehicles have a condition in which the transmission shift lever can be moved from the "park" position with the ignition "on" and without the operator depressing the brake pedal or, in some cases, the shifter can be moved from the "park" position with the ignition turned off. This of course could lead to a serious problem if the vehicle is parked or parked on a slope.
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/10/cadillac-recalls-my04-srx-crossovers.html

Thats what you want to hear more recalls

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Interesting. I guess that's why they teach you turn your wheels towards the curb on a down slope, and away from the curb on a down slope. Plus there's that whole pesky emergency brake! ;)

I think these kinds of these wear out over time, but obviously 4 years is quite soon. I had a 20 year old Corolla that would start even if you left the shifter in drive. I did that twice.....and that'll wake you up real quick to have your car lurch forward like a muscle car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting. I guess that's why they teach you turn your wheels towards the curb on a down slope, and away from the curb on a down slope. Plus there's that whole pesky emergency brake! ;)

I think these kinds of these wear out over time, but obviously 4 years is quite soon. I had a 20 year old Corolla that would start even if you left the shifter in drive. I did that twice.....and that'll wake you up real quick to have your car lurch forward like a muscle car.
It doesn't help that the average American never uses the parking brake, even on a hill. This tends to put excessive wear on the interlock mechanism, but agree that four years is much too short...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
It doesn't help that the average American never uses the parking brake, even on a hill. This tends to put excessive wear on the interlock mechanism, but agree that four years is much too short...
How did you determine that the "average American" never uses the parking brake, even on a hill?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It's hard to know for sure if "most" do or don't use their E-brake. It's about 50-50 with my friends.

The other day I saw a Mini backing up into the street by my work. My initial thought was the driver is really short, or doing the best "gangsta lean" I had ever seen. But come to find out, there was NO ONE inside the car. The silly pilot whom we entrust to drive multi million dollar aircraft had left his car in neutral (manual) and didn't set the parking brake. I pushed it back into the parking spot as the alarm was going off. The windows were cracked, but I couldn't reach the door locks, so I just found a rock and put it under his tire so it wouldn't cause a wreck. Just wanted to share that.....timely thread! ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
The other day I saw a brand new SRX(still had the dealer sign on it) being hooked up to a tow truck by the side of the freeway.

·
Registered
348 Posts
How did you determine that the "average American" never uses the parking brake, even on a hill?
It's called "empirical evidence". Ever get your car back from the quick-lube bozo and find the parking brake unset? How about from the auto-mechanic? Ever send the valet to get your car and find out that he slammed it in park and jumped out? Ever ride with a friend and find that he trusts the parking interlock to hold his car in place?

I see this every day. Note: I didn't say "ALL" Americans. I didn't say "Americans suck". I didn't say these people are stupid. I said that the average American doesn't use the parking brake. And, judging by my experineces in Driver's Ed once upon a time, I'm not far from the truth.

P.S. Buy a life.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Bah. My sister-in-law is suffering through problem trannies in her 07 Camry. And Toyota won't even admit there's a problem, though she's found a lot of folks online have the same issues. At least GM owns up and recalls things. Toyota seems to just hope it goes away. Sludge in the engine, anyone?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Bah. My sister-in-law is suffering through problem trannies in her 07 Camry. And Toyota won't even admit there's a problem, though she's found a lot of folks online have the same issues. At least GM owns up and recalls things. Toyota seems to just hope it goes away. Sludge in the engine, anyone?
I had this exact same problem on the Civic I had in college. There was no recall on that either.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sounds like GM needs to beef up the transmission interlock and educate the public on how to use the parking brake to reduce strain on the drivetrain. Failing that, the only other solution would be to use an electronic system with no mechanical linkage to the driver controls.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
As I recall, Audi did not actually have a problem with cars shifting from Park to Drive and "leaping forward." CBS said they did on their 60 Minutes program. CBS has said a lot of things on their 60 Minutes program. A few, very few, of those things have actually been true.
CBS did, memory tells me, admit to using high pressure air connections to force the valve body to shift into drive. I don't know what the facts are and am, thus, eligible to speak on this issue on the 60 Minutes program.
In short, I don't trust the CBS version.
Cheers,
Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts