GM Inside News Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Upon curiosity, I went over to the Cadillac Europe website to search for dealerships near London.
There was only 1.
https://www.ianallanvirginiawater.co.uk

/QUOTE]

From their website showing the relative importance of their brands, Cadillac gets half a line!

"We are also the sole UK authorised dealer for Cadillac Sales, Service and Parts.

Our new range of SsangYong models with prices from only £13,300 for the all-new Tivoli offers the best value for money in the UK car market and every one comes with a full 5 Year Limitless Mileage Warranty. This Korean brand is well established world-wide and has been making 4 x 4 vehicles since 1954."

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Upon curiosity, I went over to the Cadillac Europe website to search for dealerships near London.
There was only 1.
https://www.ianallanvirginiawater.co.uk

There were a few more around Munich.
here's the first one on the search page.
https://www.geigercars.de/us-cars-fahrzeuge/cadillac/

It would be nice if Cadillac had a better presence in Europe. But they don't have the time, energy, or money to do it. They barely have the appropriate product for Europe as well. They spent too much time trying to figure out diesel, that by the time they got one, diesels were being phased out in Europe.
Maybe gm is trying out that guy who made the Cadillac coffee houses strategy over there in London.

·
Premium Member
35,496 Posts
So, how's this assault going? Still in the planning stages?

·
Registered
423 Posts
As far as GeigerCars is concerned they did more for GM NA brands in Europe than GM has ever done by itself.
They bought ads without any support, they organised car-events and they even took part in various races and car exhibitions on markets where Cadillac&Corvette is not available (!) Here are pictures from Verva Street Racing event in Warsaw and American Cars Mania - the biggest American car gathering in Poland near the German, Czech borders. Too bad 80% expensive cars are leased and leasing a car from a foreign dealer is very complicated so I am sure they didn't find many customers there :( I wish every European country had such a high-rent multibrand American car dealer that offers normal warranty, quality service and different kinds of financing :( Neverteless thanks to them people were able to see such rarities as Viper, Ford GT, Corvette ZR-1, CTS-V and others. God bless GeigerCars:)

Maybe gm is trying out that guy who made the Cadillac coffee houses strategy over there in London.
If GM was a normal company, I would be all for this concept. I saw a Cadillac cafe in Japan and it was classy - didn't share showroom space either with ssanyong or mercedes citan. I am sure GM would close it after a year though.

So, how's this assault going? Still in the planning stages?
It is because electrics are a big deal now. When their hay day ends, GM will be planning the next big deal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the one and only UK dealer can't even get their web page right, it's as hard to access as good GM service

'Please complete the security check to access www.ianallanvirginiawater.co.uk'

now imagine this dealer will be responsible for c8 sales.

·
Premium Member
33,260 Posts
In
IMHO Dodge/RAM is as "AMERICAN" as you can get in car styles and is unapologetically NOT European
today’s truck styling, I would urge GMC is the most American styled truck followEd closely by Chevrolet, you don’t have the RAM minivan face anywhere in the line up.
when you get into the Rebel, RAM becomes American, HD, GMC, Chevrolet, F250 in that order,
RAM, total minivan mommy shopping face

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
General Motors have done well during pandemic, they need to copy Tesla online selling in Europe you don't need a massive dealer net work just set up a centrally located few dealers in every big major city London-Birmingham-Manchester that have a large population i.e. 1 in 6 of the UK live in London, and grow dealerships from that start point, EV's don't have many moving parts require very little maintenance don't need a massive dealership to maintain them.

Cadillac EV's can now sell on a level playing field with European luxury car makers now fly under the EU sales killing gas guzzling radar that used to $10,000's extra in C02 taxes old ICE Cadillac's were out of tune $10 a gallon gas prices.

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
General Motors have done well during pandemic, they need to copy Tesla online selling in Europe you don't need a massive dealer net work just set up a centrally located few dealers in every big major city London-Birmingham-Manchester that have a large population i.e. 1 in 6 of the UK live in London, and grow dealerships from that start point, EV's don't have many moving parts require very little maintenance don't need a massive dealership to maintain them.

Cadillac EV's can now sell on a level playing field with European luxury car makers now fly under the EU sales killing gas guzzling radar that used to $10,000's extra in C02 taxes old ICE Cadillac's were out of tune $10 a gallon gas prices.
They need to figure out how to do RHD - Tesla have.

·
Registered
423 Posts
98% of GMiers care as much about Cadillac in Europe as GM mismanagement. But for the rest 2% a new friday's post. You probably aren't aware of the fact that someone who likes Cadillac FB page in Europe can't even see other Cadillacs than XT4 (sic!). So the only visible posts in Europe are the ones with XT4 (no Escalade, no hot Blackwing Caddies). As You see people are asking for other Cadillacs and only response they see is GM corporate middle finger - 'get lost, shut up, wait for electrics (although we even don't know if we gonna sell it in Europe or not) you damn fool!'. This is what GM Europe HQ employees get money for!

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Yeah. I never figured out why GM insisted on LHD only... and then had the audacity to try and sell them in RHD countries. And then they bitched and moaned about zero sales in those countries.
Only GM North America had the LHD blinkers - Opel and Vauxhall always managed to do LHD/RHD even before they were integrated together, Holden can do LHD, so can Daewoo/GM Korea.

I don't believe for one second that GM's engineers in North America were incapable of engineering both LHD and RHD so we have to presume it was a purely management decision.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah. I never figured out why GM insisted on LHD only... and then had the audacity to try and sell them in RHD countries.
And I never figured why a GM CEO has never been asked about it directly. Mother once said 'no more crappy cars', I would prefer it together with 'no more crappy management'. They offered LHD in RHD countries at a time when most LHD countries didn't even have a single Cadillac/Corvette outlet. If it's not a crappy management, I don't know what it is.

And then they bitched and moaned about zero sales in those countries.
When did they moan? In fact they (GM Europe) have never complained. All those managers had a nice vacation in Europe, didn't have to work much and then they were moved elsewhere after 2-3 years. It's still like that. Dream job.

·
Premium Member
33,260 Posts
Only GM North America had the LHD blinkers - Opel and Vauxhall always managed to do LHD/RHD even before they were integrated together, Holden can do LHD, so can Daewoo/GM Korea.

I don't believe for one second that GM's engineers in North America were incapable of engineering both LHD and RHD so we have to presume it was a purely management decision.
For the longest time GM has been focused on quarterly returns.. long term investments have not been an area of focus for them until Mothe Barrah, and even she made some commitments to Cadillac she never kept.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Does the European Union have laws, like the USA, requiring that cars be sold through independent dealers? Or, is Tesla's sales model ok?
Certainly the UK doesn't have such laws as both Renault and Mercedes-Benz own some of their dealerships.

Before the GM buyout of Daewoo in 2002, they were sold in the UK through a central marketing company with PDI, servicing and repairs being handled by a Halfords, a national chain of car accessory stores.

Mandating sales through independent dealers would be seen as restraint of trade.

·
Registered
16,934 Posts
Certainly the UK doesn't have such laws as both Renault and Mercedes-Benz own some of their dealerships.

Before the GM buyout of Daewoo in 2002, they were sold in the UK through a central marketing company with PDI, servicing and repairs being handled by a Halfords, a national chain of car accessory stores.

Mandating sales through independent dealers would be seen as restraint of trade.
Definitely is a restraint of trade. It'll never happen in the USA, but I'd love to see the manufacturers take control of their sales outlets. Our sales experience is going to be permanently stuck in the 1950's unless the manufacturers can figure out a way to get around independently owned dealers.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Definitely is a restraint of trade. It'll never happen in the USA, but I'd love to see the manufacturers take control of their sales outlets. Our sales experience is going to be permanently stuck in the 1950's unless the manufacturers can figure out a way to get around independently owned dealers.
The restrictions imposed in the UK due to the Covid pandemic have accelerated the move away from conventional dealerships towards online ordering with dealers just providing servicing and repairs - manufacturers seem keen to support this as they retain more control on pricing. This process had begun long ago due the the high % of fleet sales in the UK market and the growth of online brokers who access fleet discounts for retail customers - my last two new cars have been bought this way.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Reactions: Neanderthal
121 - 140 of 141 Posts