GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac is set to offer a full model line-up in Europe, according to GM president Dan Ammann, including “diesel and right-hand drive”. Ammann said Cadillac is mulling over a new approach to its European business that will attempt to take advantage of the fact that it is a niche brand by offering “exceptional service”.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-scale-european-assault?page=1#comment-172595

Which is a bit peculiar, since Autocar reported, just a few months ago, that Cadillac will not relaunch in Europe until at least 2020, as it focuses on building its brand and volumes in the US and Asia, according to boss Johann de Nysschen.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/cadillac-no-plans-europe-until-least-2020

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Doesn't mean they plan to launch before 2020. A launch in 2020 also doesn't mean they're going to totally vacate and give up until then.

I think this is more like a little inkling as to what they plan to do.

I'm really hoping the next gen cars and upcoming ones after XT5 (and XT5 itself, to an extent) are blowouts. I hope they loosen up their grip on the purse and spend a bit more on the car.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Saw this yesterday, but didn't feel it was worth posting as it all seemed very speculative rather than official.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
As with everyone else, when I see it I will believe it. Until then this is just vaporware, or the incoherent ramblings of a GM veteran high on crack.

There are still a good number of Countries that are RHD so you would think GM would realize this and make sure everything they make can be built that way.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
There are still a good number of Countries that are RHD so you would think GM would realize this and make sure everything they make can be built that way.
Mark Reuss has spent all his Childhood in America, even when he was posted overseas he kept his American Midwestern Bubble around him.

You see it around how products are developed in the organization he heads. Its very difficult to transition into global thinking, and when they do, they come at it screaming and kicking with a gun to their heads.

How do they justify a Camaro and Corvette that are not both RHD and LHD? I would love to sit in on that meeting.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

"Once more unto the Breach dear friends, once more ! Consign their parts most private, to a Rutland tree!"

Seriously though:

Cadillac will not relaunch in Europe until at least 2020, as it focuses on building its brand and volumes in the US and Asia, according to boss Johann de Nysschen.
Good plan.

·
Registered
43,799 Posts
I think they actually have that, and I think it's a BMW guy.

Yes yes. I know.
Assuming a 2020 re-launch of Cadillac? That's far far too long to develop a global expansion plan.

Cadillac should just forget about Europe if they don't have:
1) Diesels with start-stop capability
2) RHD capability
3) Sub-XT5
4) Sub-Sub-XT5
5) ATS Estate
6) CTS Estate

Also, forget about Escalade in Europe.

Furthermore, Cadillac needs to invest in THEIR OWN showrooms. Control the branding message. Control the buyer experience.

If any of those are missed, then it's not worth entering Europe.

·
Registered
43,799 Posts
Mark Reuss has spent all his Childhood in America, even when he was posted overseas he kept his American Midwestern Bubble around him.

You see it around how products are developed in the organization he heads. Its very difficult to transition into global thinking, and when they do, they come at it screaming and kicking with a gun to their heads.

How do they justify a Camaro and Corvette that are not both RHD and LHD? I would love to sit in on that meeting.

Mark Reuss lurks on this site, ya know? Ask him.
These decisions fall under the Head of Product, right? Therefore, we have an issue.

If the Head of Product has issues transitioning into a global mindset and thinking, then perhaps GM needs a new Head of Product.

It is UNJUSTIFIABLE that this day in age, GM is still thinking about its cars are regional and not global!! Ford is at least a decade ahead of GM. GM needs a "One GM" mantra, like the "One Ford" mantra.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
with no diesels sticks or RHD Whats the point your better off bolstering Opel....
Did you read the article?

caddy has ONLY offered a EURO GRADE product for the last few years
Well, they did make a concerted effort with the 1998 Generation Seville/ STS.

"Flaps-Naught" as the British say.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Yes yes. I know.
Assuming a 2020 re-launch of Cadillac? That's far far too long to develop a global expansion plan.

Cadillac should just forget about Europe if they don't have:
1) Diesels with start-stop capability
2) RHD capability
3) Sub-XT5
4) Sub-Sub-XT5
5) ATS Estate
6) CTS Estate

Also, forget about Escalade in Europe.

Furthermore, Cadillac needs to invest in THEIR OWN showrooms. Control the branding message. Control the buyer experience.

If any of those are missed, then it's not worth entering Europe.
2020 isn't how long it'll take to develop. What I think or HOPE is that they have a general, flexible framework that will accommodate future market conditions already laid out and their 2020 due date is directly correlated with what Cadillac perceives to be a fully fleshed out lineup, having the right models with the right powertrains and the steering wheel on the right side.

Mark Reuss lurks on this site, ya know? Ask him.
These decisions fall under the Head of Product, right? Therefore, we have an issue.

If the Head of Product has issues transitioning into a global mindset and thinking, then perhaps GM needs a new Head of Product.

It is UNJUSTIFIABLE that this day in age, GM is still thinking about its cars are regional and not global!! Ford is at least a decade ahead of GM. GM needs a "One GM" mantra, like the "One Ford" mantra.
Tesla does it. GM doesn't. That boggles my mind.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts