GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac will introduce a compact rear-wheel drive sport sedan in 2011 to compete with the size and performance of cars like the BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-class.

The car may offer a high-powered four-cylinder engine. However, it's been engineered to match the top sports sedans' performance, unlike the regrettable Cadillac Cimarron, the last four-cylinder model car the brand sold in the United States. The front-wheel drive Cimarron debuted in 1981 to give Cadillac a fuel-efficient small car. Its performance and quality never came close to Cadillac standards and the brand's prestige suffered.

"There are mistakes we've made twice, but that won't be one of them," Cadillac spokesman Kevin Smith said.

GM is still debating whether to offer the car with both V6 and high-output four-cylinder engines. No production site has been announced, but North American assembly is likely.

If a four-cylinder model gets the green light, look for the engine to produce more power than the 260-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder GM now uses in cars like the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Chevrolet HHR SS.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/BUSINESS01/808280420/1014/BUSINESS01

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
If GM can sell it in the mid-$20's or low-$30's, I would definitely get one.
I think they will be shooting for Acura TSX price range. Upper $28K may be as low as it gets.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is the Alpha right? I don't see how they could not offer a turbo four, considering the hubub of gas prices and the fact that they already have an outstanding one to build from. I would love to get a small affordable Cadillac with 4-banger mileage.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
the Cimarron , the Cimarron wheres my Cimarron:lmao:

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think a low 20's Cadillac would hurt the brand....this is supposedly GM's LUXURY division.
(Let me preface my response by saying that I am clearly in denial about the future of Pontiac and refuse to believe that GM won't replace the G6 on alpha.)

BTS should start at $39K. $39K is where the 335i starts and there needs to be room for the an alpha pontiac in the low 30s as a bargin BMW--one without the luxury but all the performance.

I also say it should start so high because Cadillac should be more exclusive than BMW/Mercedes considering GM has more than one brand able to take this RWD performance market.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
How is it relevant to bring up the Cimarron? It was 20 years ago!
I think it is relevant because the Cimarron's successor, the Catera, was the immediate predecessor to the CTS.....it even provided the name and the basis for the new lame naming system......Catera Touring Sedan. The G3 and G5 are potent reminders that GM will even today fall back on cheesy rebadging instead of being dedicated to creating and sustaining a progressive, leading edge portfolio of truly desirable cars.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because coming up with anything positive to say about GM or Cadillac is impossible.
Only for those who perpetually:

1. see the glass as half, or less, full

2. will only be satisfied (?) when Cadillac builds cars as unattractive as BMW and reduces their quality to match BMW's in the most recent J.D. Powers IQS.

3. consider most products and services produced in the US to be inferior to foreign (particularly German) products. Just my opinion from here in flyover country.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I think it is relevant because the Cimarron's successor, the Catera, was the immediate predecessor to the CTS.....it even provided the name and the basis for the new lame naming system......Catera Touring Sedan. The G3 and G5 are potent reminders that GM will even today fall back on cheesy rebadging instead of being dedicated to creating and sustaining a progressive, leading edge portfolio of truly desirable cars.
I prefer to think of the CTS as standing for Cadillac Touring Sedan...

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Only for those who perpetually:

1. see the glass as half, or less, full

2. will only be satisfied (?) when Cadillac builds cars as unattractive as BMW and reduces their quality to match BMW's in the most recent J.D. Powers IQS.

3. consider most products and services produced in the US to be inferior to foreign (particularly German) products. Just my opinion from here in flyover country.
Tampa, Florida is not fly over country.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
WHy do I get the feeling that Cadillac will be targetting the Acura TSX as a competitor instead of the 335i??
Nah... ever since this story broke, I've been certain Cadillac will target the Lexus IS in principle, albeit bringing more power to the table.

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
Nah... ever since this story broke, I've been certain Cadillac will target the Lexus IS in principle, albeit bringing more power to the table.
The IS isn't that good of a car.
If you are striving to be the #1 luxury car company, why would GM aim for what is arguably #5 in the market segment?

3, C, A4, G, then IS...

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
If the news headline was "Cadillac to get Delta II-based FWD sedan", then yes, it would be relevant. I still think that calling the Catera the sucessor to the Cimarron is a bit of a stretch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts