GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac is in the midst of some big changes. It's got a new chief executive. It's taking some distance from parent company General Motors and moving to a new headquarters in New York. And it's instituting a new naming scheme that will allow not only for a more clear progression in its lineup, but also for more models. But that's not the end of the story. Not by a long shot.

Speaking with Automobile magazine, Cadillac's new president Johan de Nysschen revealed his intention to develop several new models and powertrains. For starters, he does not want Cadillac to continue borrowing engines from the GM parts bin, but intends to develop a new range of engines specifically for the luxury automaker. The program will likely start with smaller-capacity engines but eventually lead to new V8s as well, taking the place of the long-serving Northstar engine that finally ended its lifespan a few years ago after some two decades of production. Along with other technologies, de Nysschen envisions possibly sharing these powertrains with other GM divisions, but developing them first and foremost for Cadillac.

The bigger question, however, is where those engines would go, and de Nysschen had some thoughts to share on that front as well. For starters, the former Infiniti and Audi exec sees room for an even bigger sedan above the upcoming new CT6 that will cap the current range. Maybe even two of them. But that's not all. Johan wants to see Cadillac get (back) into the sports car game with a new halo model or two – something it hasn't really done since the Corvette-based XLR roadster. A pair of new crossovers are also said to be in the works, flanking the SRX on both sides with smaller and larger models.

All of these plans de Nysschen hopes to get up and running within the next ten to fifteen years before he needs to retire. They're ambitious plans, to be certain, and paint a picture of a resurgent Cadillac that aims to once again become the world standard.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/30/cadillac-proprietary-engines-halo-models-report/

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Wow, It's

CADILLAC-A-PALOOZA these days, isn't it?

Reactions: cad1cts

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
So GM basically gave him the keys to the vault and crossed their fingers he makes it work before they go bankrupt again. I admire their commitment but question the intelligence.
If Cadillac itself can't figure it out, then an outsider can't do much worse.

I'd like to see the Ultra V8 make a return. It was supposedly close to production until the bankruptcy hit.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
So GM basically gave him the keys to the vault and crossed their fingers he makes it work before they go bankrupt again. I admire their commitment but question the intelligence.
Spare me !

Johan still has several people over him. He works for Mary Barra, Mark Reuss, Dan Amman, not to mention the Board.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Spare me !

Johan still has several people over him. He works for Mary Barra, Mark Reuss, Dan Amman, not to mention the Board.
I get that, but the amount of investment he's talking about is massive. Multiple flagship sized sedans and coupes, a couple sports cars and two more CUVs along with exclusive engines. That's a huge monetary commitment to a brand that still hasn't fully gotten it's feet under it yet. As I stated above, I very much admire the determination required to make such a commitment, but I wonder how this will effect R&D dollars for Chevy and Buick if at all.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Good inside info. I think it's a waste but I'm sure the power plant. Will be awesome..

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Spare me !

I wonder how much longer till they rein him in. It all sounds great but this would be an unprecedented onslaught of new products way, way above what the Cadillac name will support. In all of Cadillac's history, even at their height they never attempted anything like this and they are far, far removed from the glory days. They haven't even proven they can sell a car much over $50,000. yet. And, I have never, ever known GM to allow a product to stay in its line that couldn't support itself so they are not going to build a trio of halo cars that lose money. It will not happen.

I doubt he makes it a year and I personally was ready for him to go last night.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
This above CT6 sedan: wowie, how much? $125k? More?

What kind of power? Gas? V8? Or high-performance hybrid? Voltec-ish? All electric? GM's capable of doing any one of 'em, all a matter of what makes the biggest statement. I'd bet on a Voltec-ish car.

Form? My hope: big low-slung 4 door coupe, as they call 'em these days. Make it pretty long - 200 inches, maybe - so the designers can really have something to go wild with. And it must channel, however subtly, the Cadillacs of the '50s and '60s.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I wonder how much longer till they rein him in. It all sounds great but this would be an unprecedented onslaught of new products way, way above what the Cadillac name will support and GM has never allowed a product to stay in its line that couldn't support itself so they are not going to build anything that loses money.

I doubt he makes it a year and I personally was ready for him to go last night.
It'll all be bought and paid for. Haven't you been reading any of the recent articles? He's going to take the profits from China's sales and pump them into all the new product. None of this is coming from GM's coffers, they are coming from Cadillac's. Autonomy is the name of the game. If it works, he's a pimp, and if it doesn't, Cadillac is no worse off then it was when it was part and parcel to GM. These very moves are exactly what he was hired to do.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Wow, It's

CADILLAC-A-PALOOZA these days, isn't it?
It's the same story for the last week, they just combined several new news bits into one.

I get that, but the amount of investment he's talking about is massive. Multiple flagship sized sedans and coupes, a couple sports cars and two more CUVs along with exclusive engines. That's a huge monetary commitment to a brand that still hasn't fully gotten it's feet under it yet. As I stated above, I very much admire the determination required to make such a commitment, but I wonder how this will effect R&D dollars for Chevy and Buick if at all.
Huge monetary commitment?

Already covered this. If the engines are going to be coming by 2018 or 2019 or whatever he said, they were likely planned in advance of his arrival or at least on the drawing board, if preliminary work wasn't already being done. If anything, he agreed to them and gave it a go.

I highly suspect these engines have been in the making for a while, as he's talking about the first newer, smaller engines coming shortly. I'll guess in either the new SRX or the new small crossover, most likely.

What couple of sports cars? Anything coming in in the next 5 years was probably planned before Johan put his favorite picture of his wife on his desk.

I'm pretty sure I can find a Detroit News article with DONALD BUTLER talking about a new, compact Cadillac crossover coming in the future. The larger-than-SRX crossover has been speculated about FOREVER. SRX is on a shared platform. Pretty sure the smaller crossover is supposed to be, too.

Multiple flagship-sized sedans and coupes? Probably ONE flagship coupe, CT6, and a larger sedan above it... probably off the same platform.

One sports car. Probably based off of the Corvette. If not, Alpha. Alpha has already been developed. The biggest, riskiest costs are the coupe and sedans, but those risks become a bit easier to make with the more cars off that platform... especially a large crossover, like the one above SRX.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
This just sounds like what naturally needs to be done. Industry expert to Joe Schmoe, can anyone really say this isn't exactly what Cadillac needs?

For starters, the former Infiniti and Audi exec sees room for an even bigger sedan above the upcoming new CT6 that will cap the current range. Maybe even two of them.
So a CT7? Elmiraj/ Eldorado spiritual successor large coupe? Awesome. A CT8 Bentley/Rolls Royce ultra halo, ultra luxury, fighter? Awesome-er.

Two crossovers between SRX? A compact Alpha based 'ATX'? And a Alpha+ based large mid-size CTX? Exactly what's needed. (Although I suspect the larger crossover might be Epsilon3 based).

If the Corvette and Cadillac team can work together on a mid-engine based super halo car (to be shared as a limited run Corvette Zora model), that's the last piece of the puzzle. CR1? CT10, has a nice 'book end' feel to it. (Leaves the door open for a CT9 ultra lux, ultra halo, ultra everything, coupe.)

10 - 15 years sounds long... but seems about right? For something like this to come to fruition properly.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
This above CT6 sedan: wowie, how much? $125k? More?

What kind of power? Gas? V8? Or high-performance hybrid? Voltec-ish? All electric? GM's capable of doing any one of 'em, all a matter of what makes the biggest statement. I'd bet on a Voltec-ish car.

Form? My hope: big low-slung 4 door coupe, as they call 'em these days. Make it pretty long - 200 inches, maybe - so the designers can really have something to go wild with. And it must channel, however subtly, the Cadillacs of the '50s and '60s.
Based purely on speculation? Probably $100k base, enormous, coupe-like design, Voltec variant, V8 variant, probably an all-electric variant... I'm thinking with Spark EV motors. Considering the timing of the "ELR not being Cadillac's answer to the Model S" articles, the debut of the Spark EV, the speculative release date of CT8 and known development times, I would very seriously suspect a pure-electric variant with a lot of oomph.

I'm thinking of the styling exactly as the lineup will stand and as CT6 has been described. CT6 is probably halfway between CTS and Elmiraj as has been said. Styling on the CT6+ is probably going to be significantly more in line with Elmiraj and Ciel.

CTS – CT6 – CT6+
CTS – CT6 –Elmiraj

CT6 really should be hitting it out of the park, but if it isn't their final card, I guess there's a lot less riding on it. It should prime the public to let them know Cadillac is coming back.

It'll all be bought and paid for. Haven't you been reading any of the recent articles? He's going to take the profits from China's sales and pump them into all the new product. None of this is coming from GM's coffers, they are coming from Cadillac's. Autonomy is the name of the game. If it works, he's a pimp, and if it doesn't, Cadillac is no worse off then it was when it was part and parcel to GM. These very moves are exactly what he was hired to do.
Wouldn't be too sure about it all coming from Cadillac's coffers just yet... I don't think Cadillac is a black entry on GM's balance sheet, never mind one large enough to fund such an aggressive product expansion. We aren't even including a new ATS, CTS, new entry-level car, etc and all those are also coming in these next 5-6 years, not to mention a new Escalade if the SUVs are fast tracked with T1XX.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
Johan is doing what I have said for the last 10+ years needs to be done with Cadillac - that they have their own engines, drivetrains, design, and essentially break off the nipple of GM. There is nothing wrong with Cadillac designing engines that get watered down to other GM divisions. But for Cadillac to share "global" engines that are EXACTLY what are in cars like the Camaro and Malibu, well, that's just a nasty stigma for Cadillac that snobby, rich people look down on. If you don't believe it, ask a rich person why don't they even consider Cadillac on their list. They will tell you Cadillac isn't unique enough from the rest of the plebeian GM cars.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Cadillac needs new V8 engine(s) NOW! Debuting the CT6 with the 3.6TT is not in the car's best interest. At the very least , it could debut with the LT1. This car needs a V8 engine. Unless the time frame has changed, it is scheduled to be re-engineered in 2017. This could be......along with technology updates, a Cadillac only V8,....or....the CT7 Coupe with a Cadillac only V8, or....both.

·
Registered
139 Posts
To create a new Cadillac V-8, GM's engineers dedicated to Cadillac powertrains can use much of the technology and expertise from the Corvette V-8 program and the Truck V-8. Creating a unique V-8 for Cadillac that is not mass market without having to reinvent the wheel. My guess would be refined engine note, power curves, and smoothness befitting a no-compromise V-8. Personally, I believe if you build it they will come . . . slowly at first . . . but then it took 30 years to tarnish the Cadillac name, I would guess 20 years to rebuild it should not seem unreasonable. BTW, for the first time in 30 years it seems that a CEO (Mary Barra) and Cadillac's President (Johan de Nysschen) are willing to do the CORRECT thing for the long term, build quality, equity, and desirability in to the brand, even if in the short run the sales are incremental until GM can PROVE to the public their cars are the real deal.

I sincerely hope that management is willing to put the time and effort into making Cadillac great again!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Wouldn't be too sure about it all coming from Cadillac's coffers just yet... I don't think Cadillac is a black entry on GM's balance sheet, never mind one large enough to fund such an aggressive product expansion. We aren't even including a new ATS, CTS, new entry-level car, etc and all those are also coming in these next 5-6 years, not to mention a new Escalade if the SUVs are fast tracked with T1XX.
Well sure, that makes total sense, the new car, the ATS and CTS would of had to come from GM's coffers as well as the 2 CUVs seeing as they were already in development. But I was speaking to the future development. The exclusive engines, de Nysschen specifically said all of this would come from the profits from China sales reinvested. Likely as well as the Uber cars and sub ATS.

·
Registered
44,438 Posts
Why would you question the intelligence of a man and a plan to change and reinvent Cadillac from the ground up.
It was incredibly obvious that Cadillac was dead in the water, and had been for decades.

Those who don't see that and don't understand that, simply don't get it.
This is the only way to make Cadillac relevant again in the luxury market and to finally attract true luxury customers into its showrooms once again.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Cadillac needs new V8 engine(s) NOW! Debuting the CT6 with the 3.6TT is not in the car's best interest. At the very least , it could debut with the LT1. This car needs a V8 engine. Unless the time frame has changed, it is scheduled to be re-engineered in 2017. This could be......along with technology updates, a Cadillac only V8,....or....the CT7 Coupe with a Cadillac only V8, or....both.
Member GM213 was at the dealer meeting in Las Vegas and has stated the car will debut with a V8

Reactions: johnstarnes
1 - 20 of 87 Posts