GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Northstar is GM's only V8 aside from the LS's, but you never really hear much acclaim for it. It seems seems to be a pretty good engine, my mother's STS has never had any problems and sounds great when driven hard (or is that all V8s?)

So what do you guys think of it? Does it have the low end for performance applications? I've seen it transplanted into other cars like the Fiero and stuff, even saw it go into an LT-1 Camaro. And its an overhead cam engine to satisfy the people against the harsh, rumbly, uneven characteristics of the LS V8 (that make it so great.)

And whats the future? I know it may eventually be supercharged for the STS/XLR-V. But is there any chance for a whole series of Northstars? Like different sizes, forced induction, etc.

BTW, I just noticed that Honda doesn't have a single V8 in their line.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hope the Northstar stays exclusively to Cadillac and shared with other divisions for special applications like the LS's. For example, we all know the LS is a Corvette piece when we see it in the CTS-V and the GTO. I just want it to be known as the "Cadillac Northstar" and not just another engine in the GM stable.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, Rex. Reminds me too much of "Powered by Honda" stickers that insult your intelligence as if you didn't know it was a ******* Honda. Ricers dont know WTF a Northstar is, though. Or even an LS1.

I think the Northstar has had enough time as a Cadillac (I think 10 years or something) for it to be considered a Cadillac engine. Like the LS. The LS has so many bragging rights because its "the Corvette engine" and not "that good GM engine" though it really is just that. I think the LS and the Northstar are the two best things GM has so far, unless they go with the V10, V12, or V16. Old school grint from the LS for those who want it and sophisticated power from the Northstar to shut the Germans up for being low-tech. They're just mad cause they think we cheated with the torque the OHV has to offer. They need all the fancy superchargers and stuff to get the power.

Supercharged, bored and stroked 427 LS2 in an STS...
...or anything else for that matter!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stand back, thats my idea!!! I'm my own mini-John Lingenfelter. (my names John BTW.) RIP, John.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally posted by ozone_GTX@Jun 1 2004, 06:18 PM
They need all the fancy superchargers and stuff to get the power.

Supercharged, bored and stroked 427 LS2 in an STS...
...or anything else for that matter!!!
Make up your mind.

They're wimpy and a lame excuse when used by any other car maker, but when GM uses them its God's gift to mankind? How quaint.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correction.

They're wimpy and a lame excuse when they are needed to get a reasonably high horsepower rating, for example, the supercharged E55 AMG with 476 horsepower. I'm pretty sure an LS2 is capable of so much without any forced induction. Adding forced induction to an LS2 with that much power would make it insane. In other words, the LS wouldn't NEED a supercharger to make 476hp, but with the addition of one would bring it up to around 600.

How much would an E55 make without the supercharger? Not as much...

I would say the same about the Northstar if it were supercharged and didn't make as much power as it should (I'm hoping for around 500 in the STS.) But I'm not bashing OHC engines and this has nothing to do with make (GM or otherwise.) I'm just comparing a sedan with a normally aspirated OHV engine to a DOHC engine that needs extra add-ons to make the same power.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmm... well what do you think about the 3800 Supercharged engines? OHV, large displacement, throughout the engines lifespan horsepower ratings varied from 205 to the current 260.

Now, look at the rest of the market with smaller displacement V6's pushing 200-270 (Acura TL).

Is the Series 2 and 3 engine lame and wimpy then?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts