GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
And as long as the major corporate shareholders approve or get their dividends that may be all that really matters. ;)
GM stock hasn't offered dividends since covid struck.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
2 acquisitions that would make sense for Apple: JLR or Lucid.
Both are premium car brands and operate a low/lower volumes. Both have technology that is complementary to what Apple is doing now with their AppleCar project (autonomous driving, mapping, connected car technology). Both have factories. Both are design centric. Both need deep deep deep pockets to survive. It shouldn't take too long to update/upgrade the technology to in-house Apple tech. And both can benefit from the Silicon Valley development speed and iteration.
I have a hard time seeing Apple buy Lucid. Apple seems willing to pay a premium for recognizable brands (Beats, Shazam) but not for technology. Lucid has exactly the opposite (good tech but no name recognition, at least yet). J without LR could make a lot of sense as an Apple target. It's a distressed asset whose base automotive technology Apple can leverage and I'm sure Tata would love to dispose of the J money pit and keep just the LR mint. But it's still too niche a brand for Apple, IMO.

More realistically, if Apple does build a car, I suspect they'll develop some of the differentiating technology and the design in house and get someone like BYD to build it.

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
I have a hard time seeing Apple buy Lucid. Apple seems willing to pay a premium for recognizable brands (Beats, Shazam) but not for technology. Lucid has exactly the opposite (good tech but no name recognition, at least yet). J without LR could make a lot of sense as an Apple target. It's a distressed asset whose base automotive technology Apple can leverage and I'm sure Tata would love to dispose of the J money pit and keep just the LR mint. But it's still too niche a brand for Apple, IMO.

More realistically, if Apple does build a car, I suspect they'll develop some of the differentiating technology and the design in house and get someone like BYD to build it.
LR cranks out cash.
J is a distressed asset and starved for product. But at least the product it has is relatively compelling.
Is it really “too niche” though?
I mean, Apple’s own car will be niche, so why not get something with 1) history, 2) recognition, 3) accelerated product roadmap for EV.
At least this way, Apple could justify selling a $70,000 car without being laughed off the street.

My rationale behind Lucid is that it’s still very much a “new brand“ and Apple can build it the way it wants to. Plus Lucid has all the technology that APple needs right there without “reinventing the wheel” so to speak. APple is known to just buy the technology and “sit on it” until the right application arises (FaceID, LiDar, etc.)

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
LR cranks out cash.
J is a distressed asset and starved for product. But at least the product it has is relatively compelling.
I mean, Apple’s own car will be niche, so why not get something with 1) history, 2) recognition, 3) accelerated product roadmap for EV.
At least this way, Apple could justify selling a $70,000 car without being laughed off the street.
This is all us just bandying about ideas, so anything could happen...

I just feel Jaguar is too nice a brand in terms of lifestyle impact to add anything to Apple. But the IP could make sense, if enough of it comes with the brand.
I don't think an Apple branded car would be niche. It would have instant mass appeal and could certainly justify a $70k price without being affiliated with an established automotive brand. IMO, an Apple branded car would have more cachet than a similar Jaguar branded one, especially outside Europe.

My rationale behind Lucid is that it’s still very much a “new brand“ and Apple can build it the way it wants to. Plus Lucid has all the technology that APple needs right there without “reinventing the wheel” so to speak. APple is known to just buy the technology and “sit on it” until the right application arises (FaceID, LiDar, etc.)
No question Lucid has the technology. But at current EV company valuations (~$30B? for Lucid), I just don't see it being Apple's way of going about things. Now, if Apple's internal project isn't going well (and indications are that it isn't), and someone high up enough at Apple feels their legacy is tied up in getting a car out, who knows...

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
LR cranks out cash.

I don't know what J could do for Apple TBH, reason being because Apple is going to want to brand the iCar as an Apple product and J doesn't give Apple the production capacity that they're going to want. I actually think Apple is holding out to be a GM Cruise competitor with a Podlike product

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
This is all us just bandying about ideas, so anything could happen...
Of course. ANything can happen here.
And if any company has extra money to waste on billion dollar pet projects, it’s Apple.
But if they really really wanted to succeed, they’d acquire an existing car company. It’s the quickest, surest way to enter the market.

I just feel Jaguar is too nice a brand in terms of lifestyle impact to add anything to Apple. But the IP could make sense, if enough of it comes with the brand.
I don't think an Apple branded car would be niche. It would have instant mass appeal and could certainly justify a $70k price without being affiliated with an established automotive brand. IMO, an Apple branded car would have more cachet than a similar Jaguar branded one, especially outside Europe.
Maybe Jaguar would be too niche. Maybe it would operate different under Apple.
And if the IP didn’t come with it, Apple could certainly use another cash cow in LR and take the whole kit and kaboodle.
Thing is, JLR’s goals are aligned — smart cities, autonomous driving, connected vehicles, etc. Even if JLR isn’t acquired, they could certainly be a competent partner.

No question Lucid has the technology. But at current EV company valuations (~$30B? for Lucid), I just don't see it being Apple's way of going about things. Now, if Apple's internal project isn't going well (and indications are that it isn't), and someone high up enough at Apple feels their legacy is tied up in getting a car out, who knows...
Lucid would make a lot of sense as well. And you’re right, it’s not really Apple’s “way” of doing things. But stranger things have happened.
Then again, I thought they would have pulled the trigger on purchasing WB or MGM To bolster ATV+. ATV+ needs content beyond “Ted Lasso.” Lol

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
I don't know what J could do for Apple TBH, reason being because Apple is going to want to brand the iCar as an Apple product and J doesn't give Apple the production capacity that they're going to want. I actually think Apple is holding out to be a GM Cruise competitor with a Podlike product
They don’t have to brand their purported car as an “Apple.” They haven’t rebranded Beats or Shazam, though their technology is used in Apple branded products and vice versa.

Apple could be holding out with a GM Cruise competitor.
Then again, the Jaguar-Waymo partnership already exists. And the Robotaxi service is already in play.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,157 Posts
Maybe Jaguar would be too niche. Maybe it would operate different under Apple.
You mean actually look like Jags instead of KIAs??
Their current design direction is lame. A complete and utter fail.
There is no reason to buy one... and buyers have figured this out.

They could learn something from Cadillac here. Cadillacs have very distinctive lighting.
Probably more than any other car, when a Cadillac is coming toward you, there is no doubt that a Cadillac is coming toward you.

·
Premium Member
34,675 Posts

They could learn something from Cadillac here. Cadillacs have very distinctive lighting.
Probably more than any other car, when a Cadillac is coming toward you, there is no doubt that a Cadillac is coming toward you.
Yeah, Cadillacs look so cool

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
As an electrician, I install various lighting projects in people's homes. There's a certain satisfaction when a challenging lighting pattern comes together or when you first energize undercabinet lighting in a higher end kitchen. Because of this I was smitten early on by LED lighting effects on modern vehicles. Cadillac wins hands down in the lighting signature game. My Camaro's are quite COOL as well and you can certainly tell when a newer Corvette is coming at you. GM design does quite well in this game.

Conversely, when LED's are just added to existing headlights or not thoughtfully integrated they look cheap and cheesy which MANY manufacturers accept just to appear modern. All EV's require a cool lighting signature to prove they're cutting edge technology.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
As an electrician, I install various lighting projects in people's homes. There's a certain satisfaction when a challenging lighting pattern comes together or when you first energize undercabinet lighting in a higher end kitchen. Because of this I was smitten early on by LED lighting effects on modern vehicles. Cadillac wins hands down in the lighting signature game. My Camaro's are quite COOL as well and you can certainly tell when a newer Corvette is coming at you. GM design does quite well in this game.

Conversely, when LED's are just added to existing headlights or not thoughtfully integrated they look cheap and cheesy which MANY manufacturers accept just to appear modern. All EV's require a cool lighting signature to prove they're cutting edge technology.
My pet peeve was the first LED's on cars - the dots of light. They didn't look particularly good then to me and look very dated now. To me, nothing looks more dated than a 10 or so year old Audi with the dots of light.

It is amazing how we all go gaga over the lights. I love the little light show my CT4 puts on as I near the car with the fob in my pocket. Yet it does nothing to add to the car once I'm inside, I've no clue if my cool lights are even functioning properly once I'm inside. Sometimes I feel like a monkey enamored by a shiny object :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
18,624 Posts

I don't know what happened to Jag. I love the cars from the 80's and earlier. The current cars don't have any appeal to me, they look "wealthy", but in a non-descript kind of way, no real flair to them. I do like their CUV execution better though.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,157 Posts
I don't know what happened to Jag.
It's like they didn't know what to do so they designed headlights that could be from anything and then stuck a rectangular grille in the middle that makes a heck of a "We're out of ideas" statement.

Yawn.
They tried harder on the back end.

·
Premium Member
34,675 Posts
It's like they didn't know what to do so they designed headlights that could be from anything and then stuck a rectangular grille in the middle that makes a heck of a "We're out of ideas" statement.

Yawn.
We were told Ian Cullum was the Second coming of the Pharaoh‘s chariots designers, The Grand Mufti of Everything British Car design By non other than the Automotive press.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts

Yawn.
Even the F-Type, it looks really good, but at the same time, nothing particularly unique about it that says "Jaguar". They could literally put any brand label on it and get away with it - no one would say that looks like a Jag with a Toyota badge on it.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts