GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Before you tell me, I forgot the slider on the drivers side, NO I did not, It's a Cadillac, you get both, a slider on the passenger side for the kids and a suicide door on the driver's side for those nights on the town with friends...

( problem is I forgot the front door & stuff !...I'll fix it. Why do I never see this stuff until I post it here?...oh, I'm blinded by so many different designs I think ! )

This is a small Cadillac, based upon the Opel Signum. An entry level mini-sportvan to compete with import offerings in the USA. Many of you here have said Caddy does not need a minivan, I think they do.
If they want to compete and win, then you gotta get 'em early, BMW has learned this very well. This is NOT just a rebadge of an Opel for Cadillac, it is a redesign with completely different front & rear clips and a cab forward greenhouse too.

Cadillac tried this size out before and failed because it used a known cheap american car (Caviler/Cimmeron) this is a great car to start with and unique to Cadillac with it's features, including free Ipod downloads for the life of the warranty !!!...that should get'em in the showroom !

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Forget the bottom pic, but the upper is surprisingly nice!

Some details that you might want to work on:

1. The way the glass tailgate meets the right taillight - there's something off about it and it doesn't look as if it was the same way as on the left (which is very nice)

2. The windows on both doors have to be the same size or smaller as the doors, otherwise they won't open. Besides, it looks goofy. I'd have the doors reach as far as the wheelarches and strenghten the rear pillar :D

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bravada said:
Forget the bottom pic, but the upper is surprisingly nice!

Some details that you might want to work on:

1. The way the glass tailgate meets the right taillight - there's something off about it and it doesn't look as if it was the same way as on the left (which is very nice)

2. The windows on both doors have to be the same size or smaller as the doors, otherwise they won't open. Besides, it looks goofy. I'd have the doors reach as far as the wheelarches and strenghten the rear pillar :D
Thank You !...I had a feeling the rear view was going to be more appropriate here, & I will work on it a little bit more. AS you will see I did exactly as your advice said, I agreed 100% with your review...THX.

·
Registered
736 Posts
um, yeah. it's a saturn, not a caddy. (does this in any way look like it fits in with caddy's stable?) the opel/ vauxhall look is now the saturn look, as per the sky and aura. and this is barely distinguished, in the front, from its donor car.

and there's no way those windows are ever rolling down. ever.

the wheels on the first one are better.

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Very very cool!!
I would probably suggest badging it a Saturn though. Just seems to fit more. But really badges don't matter..very cool idea.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
the back view is a good pic, your photoshop work is improving very fast.
submit the back view pic

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Its pretty good. I don't know if I could picture this passing as a Caddy. I like the rear veiw. I think it sould be an Opel.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
FBODYRULES said:
the back view is a good pic, your photoshop work is improving very fast.
submit the back view pic
what he said, but i agree about the saturn thing. all you'd really have todo is the badges, the taillights fit fine with the saturn design theme.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The top one looks surprisingly good. It's a Saturn, and all the Cadillac badges in the world can't change that, but it's good.

The bottom one is messy and seems mistake laden. And the headlights look woefully inappropriate. And the forced Cadillac look doesn't suit it at all.

So, half way there.

Also, why on earth is iPod in the name?

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
FordRules said:
What iPod. Probaly to get more Views!

...from my original expalnation of the car ...on post #2 here ;

This is an entry level Cadillac ala BMW & Mercedes

Cadillac tried this size out before and failed because it used a known cheap american car (Caviler/Cimmeron) this is a great car to start with and unique to Cadillac with it's features, including free Ipod downloads for the life of the warranty !!!...that should get'em in the showroom !

OK ?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
MRDETROITMETAL said:
...from my original expalnation of the car ...on post #2 here ;

This is an entry level Cadillac ala BMW & Mercedes

OK ?
So wait, you propose a car which would lose money? Think for a second. An entry level car would cost about...$40,000 let's say. Over three years, you would have unlimited downloads.

Apple doesn't need Cadillac, so they would charge GM something per song or video. Possibly less than regular consumers, but still a decent amount. Able to download with impunity, the buyer would download absolutely anything, the only limit being their connection. So, they would be able to download enough to completely eliminate any profit made on the car. It would not sell more iPods. It would not sell more cars, and if it did sell a car it would lose money.

There would also be no advantage to this arrangement. The iPod is ubiquitous, and does not need a promotion like this. Three years of unlimited downloads would not be profitable for either Apple OR Cadillac as well. So, it's a marketing exercise which is, frankly, stupid to the most extreme degree. After all, when you make ads, you design them to, you know, MAKE MONEY in the end. This would just lose it, with no advantage.

So, in essence, that's a long, rambling way of saying that's a stupid idea.

Which is not to say a GM/Apple combo couldn't be workable, but it would have to be sensible. Something like built in iPod compatibility and a special edition Cadillac iPod. Something that makes a bit of sense and they would actually profit from. Though, on that note, using a ~$300 MP3 player to sell a ~$40,000 car is, at best, extremely silly.

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
citric acid said:
So wait, you propose a car which would.

... be workable, but it would have to be sensible. Something like built in iPod compatibility and a special edition Cadillac iPod. Something that makes a bit of sense and they would actually profit from. Though, on that note, using a ~$300 MP3 player to sell a ~$40,000 car is, at best, extremely silly.
I edited your ramblings while you figured out what I was doing here with the IPOD GT SPECIAL EDITION !....duh. AND IF Apple & GM did do this it would be across the board, in this model at least, as a Cadillac ...a Saturn...A Opel, Vauxhall & Holden....gee, sure took you long enough to figure that out huh ?
It is a perfect marketing pitch for entry level buyers with a cost of 22-25
..NO MORE than that in USA Saturn, Caddy 28-34k, Opel, Vaux & Holden could sell it for 20 or 25...they sell alot of them already!

Saturn can go after the import chepos (toyo & kia & honda, Lex, Infin ...) and Caddy can go for the BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes and LOL all the way to the BANK !

...and BEFORE you doubt me again,...from the vaux web page link;

We tested the 2.2 Design to find out if the Signum has what it takes to compete with established premium brands such as Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Saab and Volvo.
... (it's ) Rivals ARE ;

Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3-Series Touring, Lexus IS200 SportCross, Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate, Saab 9-3 SportWagon & Volvo V50

What We Liked
Exterior design
Interior concept including FlexSpace & Travel Assistant
Ride and Handling
Xenon headlights
Interior space and easy of entry/exit

We enjoyed our time with the Vauxhall Signum it is excellent to drive and has copious amounts of standard equipment. The exterior styling may not be to everyone's taste and but in our opinion it is a bold and distinctive design.

Vauxhall Signum
Price Range: £17,995 - £26,650
Body Style: Hatchback
Models in the range: 21

GM is a Global Corp...You have to think worldwide in the design AND marketing of ANY new automobile...I think this one works great.

Think about it...facts are better than just opinions in conceptual works. YOU asked I answered, sorry for the long post here & if the facts bore you...I did do my homework on this,

...the GM IPOD GT !

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I believe I said this before, but it's honestly like you live in a different world.

You proposed unlimited downloads. I said that would kill profit, and that using a $300 MP3 player to sell a much more expensive car (though the price I used was completely random) was a bit silly. And thus, the iPod in the name was silly. Then you rambled on about pricing and vehicle features when the only thing I mentioned was the tie-in with Apple being a poor business proposition. And yet you didn't even say anything about that. I read your post, and I cannot find one line pertaining to my comments, and your "homework" is plain bizarre, as if conducted in the bizarro world.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts