GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News
November 18, 2020

General Motors plans to roll out details of an expanded and accelerated electric vehicle strategy on Thursday in an effort to convince investors it can be a serious competitor to Tesla Inc., people familiar with the plans told Reuters.

GM CEO Mary Barra, who is scheduled to speak at a conference hosted by Barclays, is expected to say the automaker is ready to spend more on electric models by 2025 than the $20 billion previously outlined, the sources said.

Supplier sources said previous plans to make the Cadillac brand all electric by 2030 are being sped up, possibly to 2025, and other sources said that acceleration will be repeated in other brands and in segments such as commercial vans.

Last week, a GM executive said the company had pulled forward the rollout of two "major" EV programs, and GM officials have touted the faster 18-month development time for the Hummer truck.

Tesla's soaring market capitalization, and growing pressure from regulators to phase out carbon-emitting engines, has put pressure on established automakers to respond to investors who view their internal combustion lineups as outmoded and doomed in the long run.

Asked about the Thursday appearance, a GM spokeswoman called talk of increased spending speculative and declined to give details.
GM Stock
Closed: Nov 18, 9:03 AM EST · $ 41.98
Pre-market 42.33 +0.35 (0.83%)

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,631 Posts
The future is apparently arriving at GM sooner than later, thanks to Tesla & Company.
The "thanks" should actually go to government officials throughout the globe who have announced bans on the sale of new gasoline and diesel powered motor cars along with other globaloney warming related regulatory actions. That's what underlies real automakers' decisions (including General Motors) to accelerate their plans for EV deployment.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
If Ultium is truly a revolutionary advancement in EV technology (and not just marketing hype), then going all in makes eminent sense especially with President-Elect Biden's statements to rejoin the Paris Agreement after January 20th.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
This is not a good strategy in my opinion. I think it's still going to be decades before EV's 100% replace ICE's. Going all-in too quickly will only result in lost shares. It's ok to offer a full EV version of every car, but don't get rid of ICE's just yet.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,631 Posts
This is not a good strategy in my opinion. I think it's still going to be decades before EV's 100% replace ICE's. Going all-in too quickly will only result in lost shares. It's ok to offer a full EV version of every car, but don't get rid of ICE's just yet.
Well said TruckMan. It's sad that GM abandoned Voltec - that technology for hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles would have been ideal to facilitate the transition from ICE to full EV over the next decade or two. :(

·
Premium Member
34,071 Posts
Where is Cadillac going to get all the product to go electric by 2025? Unless they are losing money on all their SUV offerings, this would be a dumb move.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I think it's highly unlikely Cadillac will go all EV by 2025. I mean, their first EV isn't going to come out until late 2022 or 2023, and the all EV by 2025? I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think it's highly unlikely Cadillac will go all EV by 2025. I mean, their first EV isn't going to come out until late 2022 or 2023, and the all EV by 2025? I don't think so.
2030. Agenda 2030, or The Great Reset they are talking up now.

ICE's and gasoline are a good thing. I want the freedom of gasoline, and just in investing you want a diversifed portfolio, in energy you need diversified sources. Transitioning gas stations to charging stations will require resources (land, $, personnel) for innumerable power plants.

CA has enough problems with poor planning, corruption, negligence and incompetence from the public utilities. Giving them more responsibility for our energy needs is insanity

·
Registered
17,765 Posts
Definitely will be exciting.

I'm going with there must be a profitable business model supporting this rapid change. I can see the old GM rushing things out with no path to profitability, but I find it hard to believe MB would do such a thing. Or, could be that these generation of electrics will produce a smaller loss than projected from the existing ICE chassis vehicles - I assume the alpha vehicles make little or no profits, not sure about the CUV's on shared chassis. I assume any BEV Escalade can command such a high price that they'll be profitable no matter what.

·
Registered
44,060 Posts
Why not?
I read the article title to mean Cadillac will have an all electric lineup by 2025. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have gas options.
Electric will be the standard not the exception -- the flip of what it is today.

It's not like Cadillac has an exceptionally large lineup anyways.

Besides, all other automakers have similar goals and are already on that path. Might as well accelerate the plans and make as much market impact as possible.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,244 Posts
Assuming 18mo development time that they talked about with Hummer EV, my guess is 2025-2026 is doable. The Caddy EVs that have been mentioned are:

Lyriq (which is basically a XT5 replacement)
XT4 replacement
XT6 (3 row) replacement
Slade EV
Celestiq uber-lux EV

Nothing CT4/CT5 EV that I’ve heard. Did I miss any?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Why not?
I read the article title to mean Cadillac will have an all electric lineup by 2025. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have gas options.
Electric will be the standard not the exception -- the flip of what it is today.

It's not like Cadillac has an exceptionally large lineup anyways.

Besides, all other automakers have similar goals and are already on that path. Might as well accelerate the plans and make as much market impact as possible.
Assuming 18mo development time that they talked about with Hummer EV, my guess is 2025-2026 is doable. The Caddy EVs that have been mentioned are:

Lyriq (which is basically a XT5 replacement)
XT4 replacement
XT6 (3 row) replacement
Slade EV
Celestiq uber-lux EV

Nothing CT4/CT5 EV that I’ve heard. Did I miss any?
Nothing I've heard about Ultium suggests those platforms can support ICE vehicles (nor do I think it should). So the way I see it, getting to an all EV lineup means: either kill all ICE vehicles from the lineup and move completely to Ultium EVs or develop EV versions of ICE-capable platforms (in addition to Ultium). I think neither of those are highly likely in ~5 years.

·
Registered
44,060 Posts
Honestly I still have very little interest electric. I want a CT5-V not a CT5-EV.
You've never driven an electric car, let alone a performance oriented EV, huh?
Current performance EV's already put the cadillac V's to shame, as well as BMW M and the AMGs.

There really is no reason to not have an EV performance range.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
2025 seems far-fetched considering Caddy won't have its first EV until 2022. I would say by 2028 easily, especially for smaller luxury brands like Caddy and Lincoln.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Until a national charging infrastructure is put in place, I can't see everybody wanting to move to EVs. Maybe this works in the congested states on the west and east coasts, but middle America is not close to being ready for this. Range anxiety and slow charging times will keep people away until viable solutions are put into place.

Nobody wants to spend 30 minutes waiting for a charge while on a road trip. Somebody needs to partner up with McDonalds or Subway or Chick-fil-A and figure out a way to put chargers at every location. Then offer free/cheap charges with a meal purchase. But converting a crappy gas station to an EV charging station isn't going to work.

Reactions: Ed753 and eklauss

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
It's a great idea, but they have to as good if not better than Teslas if they really want to compete. Just being cheaper isn't going to work. The designs need to be on point too.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Until a national charging infrastructure is put in place, I can't see everybody wanting to move to EVs. Maybe this works in the congested states on the west and east coasts, but middle America is not close to being ready for this. Range anxiety and slow charging times will keep people away until viable solutions are put into place.
One of my very good buddies bought a Tesla Model S P75D in California and drove it back to Nebraska where he lives, it wasn't a problem going from charger to charger to charger. He even stopped here in Western Colorado and was able to charge it at our local mall (for free). And when he got it back to Omaha he just charges it in his garage at night. I don't see the charging infrastructure as a problem at all.

Now getting them serviced is another story, luckily his has been rock solid reliable.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts