GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac Lyriq Prototypes Begin Road Testing
LinkedIn: Mahmoud S. - Cadillac Vice President, North America Sales, Service & Marketing

The shift toward electrification is accelerating here in the U.S. and in markets around the globe and at Cadillac we are proud to be part of this transformation.

Today I’m excited to share an important milestone in Cadillac’s journey to an all-electric future. Pre-production testing for LYRIQ, the brand’s first all-electric luxury SUV, is underway at General Motors’ testing facilities in Michigan.

Back in November 2020, Mary Barra announced that LYRIQ, Cadillac’s first all-electric vehicle, would go into production in the first quarter of 2022, just about 12-months from today.

Now with prototypes on the ground, our incredible engineering team is hard at work fine tuning LYRIQ to ultimately deliver a truly extraordinary SUV. One that plants the cornerstone for Cadillac’s all-electric future.

LYRIQ is setting the standard for the future of Cadillac and I can’t wait to share even more exciting news soon.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
At least in that one picture the design looks to have been toned down quite a bit for production, although the overall proportions still look to be good. Some toning down is probably a good thing as the concept felt overdone in some ways (esp. the back), IMO. That said, hope it's not too dumbed down either.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
At least in that one picture the design looks to have been toned down quite a bit for production, although the overall proportions still look to be good. Some toning down is probably a good thing as the concept felt overdone in some ways (esp. the back), IMO. That said, hope it's not too dumbed down either.
I liked the back because it was unique and unmistakable - something a luxury car should be. In a way, it captured the tailfins of the '50s in their somewhat in-your-face styling. If they do tone it down, hopefully, they maintain that uniqueness.

It doesn't look as long and sleek as the show car, hopefully, the end result will maintain that sleekness. However, part of that "sleekness" might be from that strip of black at the bottom of the show car that of course won't be visible on the production version with camo. My biggest issue with the show car was the wheels look too big.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The back makes it stand out in a crowd. I like that, too. Something about the front, though. It'll have to grow on me. Can't wait to hear finalized performance specs.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
The Lyriq Concept is stunning, in the same way as the CTS Coupe/Concept was for its time.

The points of distinction from the Concept, which to me heavily weigh toward the rear in what I see as a Porsche 928-cum-modern-day-electric-SUV, should remain as true to the Concept as possible. Again, Cadillac should embrace forward thinking style. The 1948 tail fin may have drawn skepticism from many back then, but it worked. (For similar reasons, I still think I "need" a 1964 Coupe De Ville; I just have to convince the "Minister of Finance" of my home! I'll settle for a coupe and not a convertible, too. After all, I am willing to compromise.)

There is no doubt Cadillac does concepts well. Where Cadillac struggles is in the interpretation of Concept to Production; they don't reach far enough. While I appreciate that certain aspects of concepts are not production-worthy (witness the need of a more substantive rear bumper in the production version of the CTS Coupe versus the Concept), there's quite a bit I imagine that could translate to production with this Concept. And they have some freedom, as I imagine a Lyriq Platinum Sport-assuming such a vehicle is produced-could crest $100,000.

Similar things could be said of the details in the Concept's interior (no, I'm not just talking OLED-type stuff). I think that would potentially set the standard for its class.

Build to a standard, Cadillac, not a price, per se.

·
Premium Member
33,573 Posts
The Lyriq Concept is stunning, in the same way as the CTS Coupe/Concept was for its time.

The points of distinction from the Concept, which to me heavily weigh toward the rear in what I see as a Porsche 928-cum-modern-day-electric-SUV, should remain as true to the Concept as possible. Again, Cadillac should embrace forward thinking style. The 1948 tail fin may have drawn skepticism from many back then, but it worked. (For similar reasons, I still think I "need" a 1964 Coupe De Ville; I just have to convince the "Minister of Finance" of my home! I'll settle for a coupe and not a convertible, too. After all, I am willing to compromise.)

There is no doubt Cadillac does concepts well. Where Cadillac struggles is in the interpretation of Concept to Production; they don't reach far enough. While I appreciate that certain aspects of concepts are not production-worthy (witness the need of a more substantive rear bumper in the production version of the CTS Coupe versus the Concept), there's quite a bit I imagine that could translate to production with this Concept. And they have some freedom, as I imagine a Lyriq Platinum Sport-assuming such a vehicle is produced-could crest $100,000.

Similar things could be said of the details in the Concept's interior (no, I'm not just talking OLED-type stuff). I think that would potentially set the standard for its class.

Build to a standard, Cadillac, not a price, per se.
Yes, howe, to justify $100K, Cadillac has to bring both performance, technology and materials, especially rear seat execution to bear, cut corners and they will be discount leaders.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,005 Posts
Hopefully this will be the beginning of a turn around at Cadillac. I can't wait to get to see the real thing.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Not to change the subject too much, but I just saw this headline in one of my news feeds:

"... President Joe Biden’s $2 trillion infrastructure plan, unveiled this week, represents one of the most ambitious efforts yet to challenge the centrality of the automobile in American life, by proposing to tilt federal spending far more toward public transportation and coax more people out of their cars ..."

No sure how many UAW members voted for this President, but times might get tough for Cadillac and the whole auto industry.

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
The competition is going to be fierce. Manufacturers from around the world are going to give GM a run for their money. WhereGM creates stunning concepts traditionally they dumb down certain aspects such as wheel diamter to eek out a few more miles the upcoming brands like Ioniq will push out production versions of say the ioniq 5 where those very large diameter wheels are prodiction parts.

Cadillacs new stunning electric cuv protopye already looks like it jetisoned those stunning large diamter wheels in GMs quest for better mileage range.

Fwiw GM should give up a few mikes for the “cool” look

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I am a new member, but have been visiting this site for years.

I have been watching the Lyriq, and was interested in the latest picture of the Lyriq in camo. Just something that I have noticed, and that is this new car seems very similar to the XT5.

I put the photo above next to a picture of an XT5 Platinum version.

Looking at the passenger front window, the overall shape is similar. Note the shape and placement of the rear view mirror on each model. Also view the shape of each window.

The rear window also is similar on each model, with the small blank in the lower rear part of the window frame. Again, overall shape is similar.

The wheels and tires appear to be similar as well. I believe that these are 20" wheels on the XT5. The overall wheelbase also seems to be about the same.

06-2017-cadillac-xt5-fd-1.jpg
1617306671247crop1.jpg

Also, the lower portion of the rear bumper on the Lyriq seems to be similar to that of the XT5. Front overhangs appear to be close between the two vehicles.

The shark fin and the roof spoiler seem to be close in design.

For observable differences, the hood on the Lyriq is lower than that of the XT5, and the rear window of the Lyriq is extended with a greater slope (presumably for improved aero). This creates a "bulge" in the rear hatch.

Obviously, there will be many internal differences with electric drive versus an ICE, but it may be that the XT5 was an overall design starting point for the body that got placed on this new electric chassis.

·
Premium Member
33,573 Posts
Hi All,

I am a new member, but have been visiting this site for years.

I have been watching the Lyriq, and was interested in the latest picture of the Lyriq in camo. Just something that I have noticed, and that is this new car seems very similar to the XT5.

I put the photo above next to a picture of an XT5 Platinum version.

Looking at the passenger front window, the overall shape is similar. Note the shape and placement of the rear view mirror on each model. Also view the shape of each window.

The rear window also is similar on each model, with the small blank in the lower rear part of the window frame. Again, overall shape is similar.

The wheels and tires appear to be similar as well. I believe that these are 20" wheels on the XT5. The overall wheelbase also seems to be about the same.

View attachment 63467 View attachment 63469

Also, the lower portion of the rear bumper on the Lyriq seems to be similar to that of the XT5. Front overhangs appear to be close between the two vehicles.

The shark fin and the roof spoiler seem to be close in design.

For observable differences, the hood on the Lyriq is lower than that of the XT5, and the rear window of the Lyriq is extended with a greater slope (presumably for improved aero). This creates a "bulge" in the rear hatch.

Obviously, there will be many internal differences with electric drive versus an ICE, but it may be that the XT5 was an overall design starting point for the body that got placed on this new electric chassis.
Welcome to the forum posting side of GMi.
I think you are correct, especially the passenger window. With these 'Luxury brands' the family theme generation to generation is absolutely crutial to brand identity, there is a case to be made for the familial look of the Lyriq. In the End, this is the XT5's replacement. There can only be a bigger version of this to replace the XT6 at some point. My concern in general is the sitting position given flat floors. Will they raise the seats up from the floor to give a more comfortable sitting position?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I really didn't like the concept at all, and I think it fell pretty flat for most people who just found it incomprehensible instead of alluring and exciting. I think the production model brings it back down to Earth, but cracking this Crossover EV segment seems to be tricky. This is a hard segment to make 'alternative', once we get to a point where this is just a bread & butter EV segment, then we'll see less bizarro world attention-seeking cake-decorating and something more refined and balanced.

We might have reached the point where this form factor is too commoditized to make premium or exciting. We are at this weird moment where the public is tiring of the car-like crossover shape as trucky designs are commanding the premiums and growth. I'm not sure where we go from here on EV design, but more of the same is probably a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts