GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Four basic models of SUV/CUV type vehicles are plenty. The Escalade, a replacement for the current SRX, a three row CUV above the SRX, and a two row CUV below the SRX.
I don't think a tiny Cadillac SUV is a good move for Cadillac; and I don't think some other type like a two door CUV would sell enough to make it worth it. What else is there?

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Four basic models of SUV/CUV type vehicles are plenty. The Escalade, a replacement for the current SRX, a three row CUV above the SRX, and a two row CUV below the SRX.
I don't think a tiny Cadillac SUV is a good move for Cadillac; and I don't think some other type like a two door CUV would sell enough to make it worth it. What else is there?
A sub-compact CUV would be ideal. In my mind, that's something the size of Evoque or GLA or X1.

Subcompact, compact, mid-size, full-size, and Escalade.
That is presumably the 5-SUV lineup Cadillac has proposed. That's also similar to every single luxury maker out there today.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Did I just not read a few days ago where a Cadillac executive was making fun of BMW's "overly" extensive X cross-over lineup?

The money spent on the new CTS would have been much, much better spent on doing the next generation SRX first. How could GM not see where the real money in luxury vehicles has gone?

Would I have purchased a NG SRX - don't really know - but I have an order in for a shinny new X5-35d. Had to order it, as X5's (and X3's, X1's) do not last long on dealer lots, and are loaded with options for those who can not wait.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
There was some interesting information coming out last couple of months about future Cadillacs.
New modular engine family (from I4 to V8), new models.
It will be interesting to see what will actually show up in future.
I assume CT6 with maybe new v6 will show up first (i'm not sure there will be new v8 just for Cadillac...i hope i'm wrong)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting thread title, I count 12 models in that picture. When's this all supposed to be done? 2020?

Personally wouldn't put to much stock in that picture. It's probably more to just help illustrate the increase in models. Not what models are actually being built.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Did I just not read a few days ago where a Cadillac executive was making fun of BMW's "overly" extensive X cross-over lineup?

The money spent on the new CTS would have been much, much better spent on doing the next generation SRX first. How could GM not see where the real money in luxury vehicles has gone?

Would I have purchased a NG SRX - don't really know - but I have an order in for a shinny new X5-35d. Had to order it, as X5's (and X3's, X1's) do not last long on dealer lots, and are loaded with options for those who can not wait.
Except the NG SRX architecture was not ready last year! What do you want GM to do, hold off on a new CTS (using an architecture which started development in 2009) until the SRX is done even if it means delaying the CTS for two years and not getting the SRX any quicker? Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face!

On the car front, I count 4 sedans, the sub-ATS, ATS, CTS and CT6, two coupes (ATS and ELR) and one convertible (ATS or a ATS-CTS htbrid). I don't see anything above CT6, what happened to the CT7/8? I assume then that this is just approved models. Also, it meansd Cadillac will soon terminate XTS even though its a best seller for cadillac in China, which I find strange. However, that is a good move for the brand as a whole.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Except the NG SRX architecture was not ready last year! What do you want GM to do, hold off on a new CTS (using an architecture which started development in 2009) until the SRX is done even if it means delaying the CTS for two years and not getting the SRX any quicker? Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face!
I agree with your comments! Hindsight is 20/20, but really - X1, X3, X4, X5, X6 X7(coming soon) and SRX. Did GM product planners have their heads in the sand, or is the Chapter 11 filing to blame? The success and profit from the X line is just incredible on BMW's part. It is a shame that Cadillac (or GMC) is not (really) participating.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Cadillac is a LUXURY brand.
To pretend otherwise, or to pretend that 100 years of brand recognition doesn’t exist as a luxury automobile, is utter foolishness.
Ergo, “We’re a luxury brand that just happens to sell cars” shows complete disregard to the original Cadillac DNA.
Excuse me, but what other luxury items does Cadillac sell?

If we want to play with the big boys, then we need to accept the rules of their game."
Then instead of manufacturing a true 7 series beater, Cadillac substitutes a 'tweener' CT6 to fill the gap. Uh-huh. Do these guys listen to themselves when they talk?

"When I recruit new people, I do not need petrolheads".
In other words Cadillac wants the 'creative marketeers' (ie Mouseketeers) to sell their product. When has that solution ever worked? Sales for Cadillac are down 18% over last year already. Audi and Acura have both surpassed Cadillac in sales in November. Cadillac sales are plummeting.

ATS, CT3 (3 series competitor) is a good attempt to give life to a moribund brand. But why are sales down 30% over last year? A convertible and hatch would be good additions here. I prefer the Seville nameplate overall.
CTS, CT5 (5 series competitor) seems to be holding its own although sales are down 7.5% over last year. A convertible and wagon are necessary to compete with the 'big boys'. I still prefer the Sedan DeVille and Coupe DeVille nameplates (and I am NOT over 30 yet!)
XTS should be shot and put out of its misery. Sales down 50%.
CT6 'tweener' model is somewhat of a disappointment. It's okay, but not great.
Elmiraj, CT7 is what Cadillac should be building now. Elmiraj (look out Panamera!) could be the 4 door coupe version, and Eldorado the 2 door coupe version. Forget the CT7 moniker, please.

Escalade is the only Cadillac I would drive to the Country Club with. Update and keep improving this beast.
SRX must be completely redone to compete with Porsche Cayenne.
Also, I know China is clamoring for a small luxury SUV, so do it!

Just a wild card side note, but consider incorporating Tesla into the mix. Ouch. I know stepped on a few toes there.

Now reconstruct Cadillac dealers so that they actually appeal to luxury buyers. That means adopting a Lexus style approach with far fewer dealers (about 300 in the US).

This is all Cadillac has to do to get back on track quickly.
It's all about PRODUCT!

·
Registered
19,262 Posts

I certainly agree that CUV's are where the money is at. But just thinking of it from a different angle in that SUV's/CUV's are where the money is at, but cars are where the prestige is at. Granted, there are makes like Rover, etc.. But if Cadillac loads up on all types of CUV's they will become known as a CUV maker - could it make it even harder for Cadillac to penetrate the car market and therefore impact it's long terml prestige?

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I used Google translate to see what the article said.

The first car shown is below the ATS, so the order is - entry level small car, ATS, CTS, CT6.

Thus, the special products are slotted between the ATS and CTS. One of them has to be the ATS coupe but I suspect the other two might be unique. I would say they are the ATS convertible and the ATS-V, but then we would see a CTS-V between the CTS and CT6. Plus, we would see two ATS Vs; the sedan and coupe.

Maybe the convertible is a Z4/SLK type roadster?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I agree with your comments! Hindsight is 20/20, but really - X1, X3, X4, X5, X6 X7(coming soon) and SRX. Did GM product planners have their heads in the sand, or is the Chapter 11 filing to blame? The success and profit from the X line is just incredible on BMW's part. It is a shame that Cadillac (or GMC) is not (really) participating.
I agree. The state of Cadillac's SUV line-up as well as Chevy's (old Nox, old Traverse, nothing in between Nox and Traverse) is appaling. I think the bankrupcy did play a role, since the new SUVs are all on new architectures which are expensive to develop (as opposed to the BOF SUVs), getting the programs funded and started took time. We forget, its only been 5 or so years from bankrupcy, typically it takes 4-6 years to develop an all new architecture (including feasibility studies/ business cases etc) and the individual models built thereon.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I used Google translate to see what the article said.

The first car shown is below the ATS, so the order is - entry level small car, ATS, CTS, CT6.

Thus, the special products are slotted between the ATS and CTS. One of them has to be the ATS coupe but I suspect the other two might be unique. I would say they are the ATS convertible and the ATS-V, but then we would see a CTS-V between the CTS and CT6. Plus, we would see two ATS Vs; the sedan and coupe.

Maybe the convertible is a Z4/SLK type roadster?
Did you forget about ELR?

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Interesting Chart.

It seems to read, left to right, according to size. The convertible appears to be quite small compared to what I imagine are its platform mates above it.

I think Cadillac could assert prestige with development of an exclusive V 12 cylinder Cadillac engine.
That would be nice, but I think the best V8 in the world could be a better place to start and allow Cadillac to offer it on more vehicles.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.