GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac, Lexus to hit the roads soon
Parvathy Ullatil in Mumbai

Late Dhirubhai Ambani and Harshad Mehta knew how to be different when it came to their set of wheels. They chose, in that order, Cadillacs and Lexuses over the bread and butter Mercedes-Benz sedans.

It looks like prospective luxury car buyers will be spoilt for choice over the next two years as General Motors and Toyota have unveiled their plans to roll in these super-luxury brands into the country.

Though both car makers rode into India on more mass-market models from their portfolio, they now are ready to drive in their priciest set of wheels into the country.

And according to them, the earlier, the better. With global biggies like Maybach, Bentley and Audi already braving the potholes to establish a presence in India, GM and Toyota seem to have realised the emerging importance of luxury brands in driving growth and enhancing brand value.

more...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some analysis:

I was struck at the perception of Cadillac this particular writer seems to have. Note the following quotes from the article, beginning with the very first paragraph:

Late Dhirubhai Ambani and Harshad Mehta knew how to be different when it came to their set of wheels. They chose, in that order, Cadillacs and Lexuses over the bread and butter Mercedes-Benz sedans.
...and...

And according to them, the earlier, the better. With global biggies like Maybach, Bentley and Audi already braving the potholes to establish a presence in India, GM and Toyota seem to have realised the emerging importance of luxury brands in driving growth and enhancing brand value.
... :huh: Huh? Maybach, Bentley, and Cadillac in the same breath? Okay, I'll take that. :D ...

Early indicators suggest that the Cadillac CTS will lead the brand’s foray into the country. CTS is what Cadillac calls an entry-segment luxury car and gives the Mercedes Benz C-class a run for its money in other global markets.
... (emphasis added). Wow. If he would have said that the CTS gives the Mercedes C-Class a run for its money in the US and Canada, okay. But--as much as I would love it to be true and as possible as it may be at some point in the future--to suggest that it is achieving this kind of success anywhere else is either overly optimistic, or maybe this really is happening and I'm the one who's out of step with the times.

In any case, the fact that he would mention it seems to indicate he's a fan.

The next wave of adrenaline-pumping action from Cadillac might come in the form of the SRX- sports utility vehicle which is currently being adapted for right-hand drive markets.
..."andrenaline-pumping action from Cadillac". I like this guy. B)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
News flash
Car and Driver replaces Brock Yates with
Parvathy Ullatil
Readership on the rise as C&D enters the 21st Century
All kidding aside good move by the General

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hmm - China and India.

2 markets that look like gold to GM and Toyota. If they get there first - they can run the whole show!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
GroundedZ, is that quote from Lutz in your sig the real deal & if so do you still have the article/speech/etc that he said it in?

As for the article I only see great things for Cadillacs future :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Oh, sure, they look like gold now... but for planet Earth, if those two markets become as big as the US and Europe, we'll run out of resources (not just oil, either... rubber, aluminum, and other metals) very quickly. Think about it... those two markets would more than triple automobile consumption, which might look great for accountants, but... I'm in no hurry for any such expansion. China seems unlikely to be receptive to outside companies selling such profitable wares there anyway. Much as I hate to say it, the Chinese government seems to be the only one that really understands the need to keep humanity from destroying itself from within (everybody assumed it would be from nuclear war.. but if we exhaust our resources before we get off this planet, we're royally f*cked). I'm not trying to take this one off-topic, though. I think it's healthy for other brands to try getting into new markets, though the implications for the future are always weighing on my mind.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Feb 17 2004, 03:45 AM
Oh, sure, they look like gold now... but for planet Earth, if those two markets become as big as the US and Europe, we'll run out of resources (not just oil, either... rubber, aluminum, and other metals) very quickly...
It'll take some time before these emerging markets match or exceed the US and Europe in volume. This will provide a window of opportunity for GM to work out the [very significant] bugs of hydrogen power. Yes, I know I'm being a bit grandiose, though not quite as much as GM, which thinks it will have commercially available hydrigen-powered cars by 2010. That's a bit of a stretch, IMO. However, I have faith in technology, and when hydrogen not only powers autos, but manufacturing plants (like the tiny portion of one of Dow's Texas chemical processing plants today!), homes, et cetera, the issue of pollution will become moot.

Have faith, awalbert88!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yes, but you missed my point. I don't care if the vehicles are powered by plain old air - the Earth's supply of raw materials for the automobile - aluminum, steel, rubber, etc will be exhausted. That's why I don't want to see another 2+ billion consumers buying automobiles any time soon. If US sales of cars/trucks are around 16 million per year, that's roughly 5.5% of the population buying a new vehicle every year. Now, for the combined 2.4 billion people of India/China, that 5.5% becomes an incredible 132 million vehicles per year in addition to what is already being produced. Even if Ford, GM, and Toyota could all build factories fast enough to build the cars, we'd consume so much rubber and aluminum building the cars that the price of a cheap car would skyrocket. The cost of raw materials barely has much impact on the cost of cars now, but when those materials suddenly become scarce, it will be a huge problem. Better to secure some sources off-planet before we start going crazy here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE+Feb 16 2004, 08:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TaHoE @ Feb 16 2004, 08:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-coolcaddy@Feb 16 2004, 03:33 PM
Dhirubhai Ambani and Harshad Mehta
Who?[/b][/quote]
Dhirubhai Ambani was the founder of India's largest business group - Reliance Industries. Harshard Mehta was the supposed genius stock trader who became the principal accused in the 1992 stock market scandal in India.

The only things that they both have in common were that they both were very rich, both died in 2002 and drove Cadillacs :) .

- HCE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts