GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac Is Trying Too Hard
Names purportedly belonging to the rest of the automaker's Ultium-powered range have leaked, and they sure are "melodramatiq."
Adam Ismail
Friday, November 19, 2021

jalopnik.com

Cadillac has fully immersed itself in the EV reinvention game. Obviously it’s far from the only brand doing that, but you kind of have to respect General Motors for the strength of the commitment. The company told its entire Cadillac dealer network to get with the times or get out, and it’s clearly attempting to form a new identity around the Lyriq and Celestiq.

Those won’t be the only models to receive the “-iq” suffix, as we learned some time ago. But the full names of the remaining vehicles that will build out Cadillac’s range have been unknown. Until now.

Three names — Vistiq, Lumistiq and Escalade IQL — were leaked by CarBuzz citing “trademark filings with several trademark offices, including the UK and Austria” on Thursday. CarBuzz doesn’t link to these listings in its article, though Vistiq does indeed show up on the U.K. Intellectual Property Office website, as does Lumistiq in the database of the Austrian Patent Office. It would seem these are legit, then — though that’s not to say Cadillac couldn’t still change its mind and go with something else.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are always naysayers after a change in naming convention.

For 5-10 years we will hear "Retardiq" and such.

Cadillac has to stop panicking and changing direction.
There was a time when people thought the Houston Texans and Toronto Raptors were retardiq.

Push through it ,make great product and Lumistiq when sound just as good as Ferrari LaFerrari. 😎

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Cadillac has always been trying too hard.
THey've spent the better part of 20 years trying to define themselves... and then re-define themselves... and the re-redefine themselves... and then re-re-redefining themselves. And here we are again. Nothing has changed except the powertrain.

Going EV is NOT Cadillac's salvation.
Creating a constant and consistent brand strategy and focus on luxury and luxury experiences is the ONLY way Cadillac survives.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I thought Cadillac was shifting towards a three-letter model designation name, except the Escalade? It was supposed to be clean and crisp, and let people identify the model quickly.

Then, there was the new 2020 exterior torque-based engine badging, based upon newton meters (rounded, of course). Brilliant.

Don’t tell me there is a another unique model naming process underway.

Oh well - I’ll just wait for the next wave of model and engine naming attempts to confuse me further.

Will the name Cadillac appear on the exterior of the vehicle?

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,299 Posts
Nothing has changed except the powertrain.
Which could be a very big deal because the German EV effort so far is not particularly impressive.
There is an opening if Ultium is actually good.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
THey've spent the better part of 20 years trying to define themselves... and then re-define themselves... and the re-redefine themselves... and then re-re-redefining themselves. And here we are again. Nothing has changed except the powertrain.

Creating a constant and consistent brand strategy and focus on luxury and luxury experiences is the ONLY way Cadillac survives.
Agreed.

Most people with any measure of success in their lives have done so through a long-term focus, be it with their equity investments, be it in developing real estate equity, be it in the form of their educations, be it in the form of their charitable donations. It's a matter of keeping their eyes on the prize, even when acute crises arise.

Despite the [serendipitous?] long-term success of the Escalade, quarterly-focused Cadillac and GM miss this sound business strategy. Hence, we get a constantly ebbing, once-great American luxury brand.

"Cadillac’s top brass is actually depressingly self-aware of this."

No!

Even reading the link from the main article, it suggests they mostly are blithely unaware. And we know this because the interview is with Reuss from 2019. Reuss absolutely does not get what it takes to manage a luxury brand. Nothing about his CV speaks to someone capable of assisting Cadillac in a rebirth. When top brass replaced the controversial JDN with vanilla Steve Carlisle, we witnessed in all its glory the typical GM that absolutely does not have the stomach to tolerate what it will take-a deep, long-term investment in time, in engineering, design and marketing resources, and cash-to transform Cadillac long-term. There would be bumps in the road, but as long as the focus is long-term, they'd be fine long-term. We've seen rebirths at Hyundai and Audi, we have seen it with Apple. But these types of transformations will skip Cadillac, sadly. Way too much effort for GM.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Lumistiq is particularly bad. Inevitably, the Lumina will be brought up.

This article is spot on. Trying to hard. Pretentious.

At first, I hated the alphanumerics. And I still would have preferred they stayed with names. But I've gotten used to them and there is logic and sent to CT4, CT5, XT4, etc. They should just stick with that since customers are now more familiar with it. Maybe just stick an "e" on the end. Or not. At some point, they won't need to say anything about them being electric since that's their future.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Which could be a very big deal because the German EV effort so far is not particularly impressive.
If Ultium is as good as rumored, then it really could be the game changer for Cadillac and all of GM. But GM has overpromised and underdelivered so many times that it's hard to have confidence.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Yup. The German EV effort is a bit ho hum... for the time being.
That is Cadillac's opening.

But as I keep saying, Electrification is not Cadillac's salvation.
Ultium is Cadillac's foot in the door. But it's up to Cadillac to provide more than 300 mile range. It has to look and act as a luxury brand should. THey're just not there yet. THey're making progress, but Cadillac has been living on borrowed time for 2 decades now. And Genesis is coming on fast.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Even reading the link from the main article, it suggests they mostly are blithely unaware. And we know this because the interview is with Reuss from 2019. Reuss absolutely does not get what it takes to manage a luxury brand. Nothing about his CV speaks to someone capable of assisting Cadillac in a rebirth. When top brass replaced the controversial JDN with vanilla Steve Carlisle, we witnessed in all its glory the typical GM that absolutely does not have the stomach to tolerate what it will take-a deep, long-term investment in time, in engineering, design and marketing resources, and cash-to transform Cadillac long-term. There would be bumps in the road, but as long as the focus is long-term, they'd be fine long-term. We've seen rebirths at Hyundai and Audi, we have seen it with Apple. But these types of transformations will skip Cadillac, sadly. Way too much effort for GM.
That signaled to me that GM isn't truly committed to Cadillac.
JDN was the only guy GM ever hired to run Cadillac that actually truly "got it."

But in order to do that deep level transformation that Cadillac really needs, you need C-Level buy in. Whether JDN was the type of person to get that level of buy in and commitment from GM leadership, I don't know. But it seems like there was a lot of friction there.

GM could never do what Hyundai is doing with Genesis. Hyundai is on year 10 or so of the "genesis experiment." They had to kill the well known Equus... establish "Hyundai Genesis" as the successor... and then establish the Genesis nameplate... and then build a product line around it. And Hyundai isn't nearly done either. There's been some big bumps in the road, particularly in Europe. They still have to evolve their lineup into EVs and do it before Lexus gets its head out of its own ass in the US.

Cadillac has a very long way to go here. Their success is dependent on Escalade, and Escalade still remains a flawed SUV 5 generations in. Blackwing gets all the media press, but really, Blackwing is dead in 3-4 years tops. The overall lineup (vehicles not named Escalade or Blacken) are as weak as its ever been.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
At first, I hated the alphanumerics. And I still would have preferred they stayed with names. But I've gotten used to them and there is logic and sent to CT4, CT5, XT4, etc. They should just stick with that since customers are now more familiar with it. Maybe just stick an "e" on the end. Or not. At some point, they won't need to say anything about them being electric since that's their future.
I was largely indifferent to the alphanumeric naming strategy overall (and similarly to the change to Celestiq and Lyriq), ksr.

What has ultimately mattered, what has always mattered, is what the changes convey on a deeper level: another half-baked, poorly articulated, likely poorly executed shift in brand strategy that will end in a few years. It sadly speaks to Cadillac's schizophrenic approach to its business. It's why Cadillac continues to ebb.

Imagine if Cadillac applied Dare Greatly 6-7 years ago with consistency and pervasiveness with each model's design, engineering and marketing. No exceptions. Every vehicle built to that standard! In other words, the XT6, for example, would have never seen the light of day. The largely meaningless CT6, if Dare Greatly would have been applied to the CT6 at launch, with a Blackwing V-8-equipped AWD model (CT6 Blackwing 850?) at the top, would have in a few years started to build cachet.

As GM transitions now to Ultium, Cadillac would continue to Dare Greatly. This time, the CT6 would be transitioning to an EV powertrain, and Daring Greatly with a range-topping CT6 Blackwing 1350! It would have an unrivaled interior, it would blast to 60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds yet have 500+ miles of range, and it would allow for endless customization. It would be delivered to your home by a Cadillac personal assistant, who would follow you through the course of your ownership experience (and who helped you arrange the installation of your fast-charging Ultium Charger in your garage). It would have connectivity to your home through your keyfob/phone that would be serviced monthly through OnStar/Cadillac Concierge, a connected ecosystem that does far more than locks your car doors. It would anticipate such things as your daily commute, monitoring traffic and weather to wake you at an appropriate time. It would let you know you have to leave sooner for your doctor's appointment. It would remind you to plan a little extra time to pick up your wife's birthday present that will be needed in 1 week. It would schedule the annual maintenance on your Ultium Charger with Ultium Service, the charging service division of GM. In essence, the draw would be a car that Dares Greatly in every way as a product, and the lock-in would be through a service contract that will have you wanting for nothing. CT6 now would have enormous brand cachet, and Cadillac directly and indirectly would be profiting off of each and every customer for years after the initial purchase. And Cadillac vehicles would be the standard in each market segment, because Cadillac would marry exceptional, no excuses vehicles with an exceptional, no excuses service ecosystem. Cadillac would be unstoppable. It would make FS P/U and SUV profits look minute by comparison.

I remember when Amazon sold only books. "How the hell is this relevant to me?" I thought. Of course, Amazon is pervasive in my home now, and they just keep getting more and more embedded. And I pay for it! There's a message in there for Cadillac somehow... I have a room temperature IQ, and yet I get it on some level. Why doesn't Cadillac?!

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
I was largely indifferent to the alphanumeric naming strategy overall (and similarly to the change to Celestiq and Lyriq), ksr.
So long as the alphanumeric made sense, I was fine with it. The issue was that the 3-letter names no longer held any meaning. Or Cadillac damaged it or confused customers with it.

Imagine if Cadillac applied Dare Greatly 6-7 years ago with consistency and pervasiveness with each model's design, engineering and marketing. No exceptions. Every vehicle built to that standard! In other words, the XT6, for example, would have never seen the light of day. The largely meaningless CT6, if Dare Greatly would have been applied to the CT6 at launch, with a Blackwing V-8-equipped AWD model (CT6 Blackwing 850?) at the top, would have in a few years started to build cachet.

As GM transitions now to Ultium, Cadillac would continue to Dare Greatly. This time, the CT6 would be transitioning to an EV powertrain, and Daring Greatly with a range-topping CT6 Blackwing 1350! It would have an unrivaled interior, it would blast to 60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds yet have 500+ miles of range, and it would allow for endless customization. It would be delivered to your home by a Cadillac personal assistant, who would follow you through the course of your ownership experience (and who helped you arrange the installation of your fast-charging Ultium Charger in your garage). It would have connectivity to your home through your keyfob/phone that would be serviced monthly through OnStar/Cadillac Concierge, a connected ecosystem that does far more than locks your car doors. It would anticipate such things as your daily commute, monitoring traffic and weather to wake you at an appropriate time. It would let you know you have to leave sooner for your doctor's appointment. It would remind you to plan a little extra time to pick up your wife's birthday present that will be needed in 1 week. It would schedule the annual maintenance on your Ultium Charger with Ultium Service, the charging service division of GM. In essence, the draw would be a car that Dares Greatly in every way as a product, and the lock-in would be through a service contract that will have you wanting for nothing. CT6 now would have enormous brand cachet, and Cadillac directly and indirectly would be profiting off of each and every customer for years after the initial purchase. And Cadillac vehicles would be the standard in each market segment, because Cadillac would marry exceptional, no excuses vehicles with an exceptional, no excuses service ecosystem. Cadillac would be unstoppable. It would make FS P/U and SUV profits look minute by comparison.
^^^^THIS is the ultimate end goal!
I mean, Lucid is further along the road than Cadillac at this point. This is how far Cadillac needs to go just to get back into competition with the likes of Lucid or Audi or Mercedes.
How Cadillac handles the launch of Celestiq should show the world how Cadillac means to treat the upper echelons of the car segment, assuming this car will actually launch with a ~$200,000 price tag.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
+1
That requires a competent team of marketing and PR dweebs, something GM as a whole sorely lacks.

·
Registered
387 Posts

At this rate it is looking more likely that Genesis will figure it out before Cadillac does so. I bet in 10 years Cadillac would have come up with yet another naming scheme while Genesis is still stuck to G/GV.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

What has ultimately mattered, what has always mattered, is what the changes convey on a deeper level: another half-baked, poorly articulated, likely poorly executed shift in brand strategy that will end in a few years. It sadly speaks to Cadillac's schizophrenic approach to its business. It's why Cadillac continues to ebb.

I remember when Amazon sold only books. "How the hell is this relevant to me?" I thought. Of course, Amazon is pervasive in my home now, and they just keep getting more and more embedded. And I pay for it! There's a message in there for Cadillac somehow... I have a room temperature IQ, and yet I get it on some level. Why doesn't Cadillac?!

Dang!! May as well give up on life and all accountability if you expect your Caddy to do all that for you. :) I get that the "subscription service" is where GM wants to be but it will be EXPENSIVE and further weakens herd memory. Can we call it Ask Jeeves??!! I won't be paying extra for such services even if I do purchase a Cadillac. But... I do recognize that I'm likely in the minority on this thought process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts