GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
:laughbounce:

Oh the ULS sounds really good!!!

The "lower end" ULS and ULS-V competing with the S-Class and 7-Series and AMG/M variants and the "high end" ULS competing with Maybach and Rolls.

I am a bit skeptical though about Lutz's interpretation about the "true" definition of luxury. While I am in agreement that BMW and Mercedes are diluting their brand by offering the A-class and 1-Series lines, I think the "true" definition of luxury has changed over the last 20 years. Luxury and performance now go hand in hand. No more floofy suspensions and lackadaisical handling and the like. You need solid suspensions, precision handling, high build quality, high-end gadgetry, etc. Otherwise, why bother building a car.

I think the ULS and its other variants will go a long way to solidifying Caddy's position in the luxury world. And Lutz is right. You no longer have to be the "sales leader" to be the best luxury car maker in the worl. However... when you DO become the "best luxury car maker in the world," sales will come anyways!!! :D

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you think Lutz idea of ultra high end or Cadillac is? To quote
"I am a bit skeptical though about Lutz's interpretation about the "true" definition of luxury... No more floofy suspensions and lackadaisical handling and the like. You need solid suspensions, precision handling, high build quality, high-end gadgetry, etc. Otherwise, why bother building a car."
Then what are the most recent Cadillac's CTS, XLR, are not "floofy" or suffer from "lackadaisical handling"
Not to mention the CTS-V, or the next STS. At least look at what Cadillac represents now. If Lutz says Cadillac is going upmarket then Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus had better look out.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
ULS is not the production name for the upcoming Super Size Caddy. ULS is the codename for this article. But for now its just a sketch in Lutz's mind. There isnt an official codename for it either (GMX###).

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Dec 15 2003, 07:41 PM
ULS is not the production name for the upcoming Super Size Caddy. ULS is the codename for this article. But for now its just a sketch in Lutz's mind. There isnt an official codename for it either (GMX###).
oh i know ULS isn't the name. BUt it's easier to identify the new super-seized caddy that way. :lol:

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck@Dec 15 2003, 06:27 PM
Why do you think Lutz idea of ultra high end or Cadillac is? To quote
"I am a bit skeptical though about Lutz's interpretation about the "true" definition of luxury... No more floofy suspensions and lackadaisical handling and the like. You need solid suspensions, precision handling, high build quality, high-end gadgetry, etc. Otherwise, why bother building a car."
Then what are the most recent Cadillac's CTS, XLR, are not "floofy" or suffer from "lackadaisical handling"
Not to mention the CTS-V, or the next STS. At least look at what Cadillac represents now. If Lutz says Cadillac is going upmarket then Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus had better look out.
Lexuses/Lexi are very plush and "soft" cars compared to the tighter handling Mercs and BMW's.
If Caddy is going to make more performance oriented cars and then come out with a "softer" car... they run the risk of becoming "lost." Do they want to be "luxury" or "performance."

I still like the idea of the "ULS" though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i think everyone, at least on this board, would appreciate a ULS type car from Cadillac. if executed right, like the rest of Cadillac's products recently, i think the ULS will bring much needed revenue to caddy. let's just hope GM doesn't screw up... again... and again... and again...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Dec 16 2003, 05:25 AM
I applaud Lutz for his ambition, but unseating BMW or Mercedes is a long, long  way off.

For example.....where are the Cadillac coupes???  I especially wish that Cadillac would offer one or two 4/5 seat coupes or convertibles.  Why nothing to compete  with cars like the CL500, CL600, CL55 CLK320, CLK500, CLK55, 645Ci, 330Ci, 325Ci or M3? 

I've heard rumors of a CTS coupe....but I haven't seen what it may look like.    Coupe buyers do not want a a sedan with the 2 back doors sealed shut.

I'd say it's impossible to be a luxury leader with no coupes or convertibles for people to salivate over.  When Cadillac comes out with a dreamy looking coupe for about $50K....it will be a halo car....and a sign that BMW/MB has some serious competition.
I think with time will come more cars. Caddy needs to get its core cars down now, a entry level car, mid sized, and a uber car to compete with the basic models of BMW and MB that sell. You have the 3/C, 5/E, 7/S. After Caddy gets a foothold on stuff there, then they can make new cars after they have estabilished a new name for themselves. I think a CTC could be based off the Sigma-Lite chassis as a cheap sports car for caddy. It could do with the camaro/gto as the XLR is doing with the Vette. Something like that would be pretty sweet. I also think that AWD should be an option on the CTS in the near future. It would give it a good edge over the 3 series, and would match the 4matic from the C class. Luxo cars need a good feel, good power, good touch, and plenty of gadgets. People that buy luxo cars wana hear words like active, precise, secure, adaptive, etc... and this ULC(??) is gunna need to beat up the big boys of the class. I dont think there should be an V series for this car. This car needs to be a flag ship car for caddy, not some huge sports car. The V12 definatly needs to be in an AWD variant of the ULC to compete with the likes of MB and BMW. Image is everything, and if Caddy can get that back then its is good as gold. People that buy cars like this buy them for the name on the car and for teh $$$. Take the maybac(sp?). IF that had a 1.6l honda Vtec motor in it, and kept the rest, no one would give a crap because the car is a super luxo car, and is $$$. Im sure Lutz knows what hes doing. As long as he brings me back my beloved camaro, thats all I care about right now.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Dec 16 2003, 12:25 AM
I applaud Lutz for his ambition, but unseating BMW or Mercedes is a long, long way off.

For example.....where are the Cadillac coupes??? I especially wish that Cadillac would offer one or two 4/5 seat coupes or convertibles. Why nothing to compete with cars like the CL500, CL600, CL55 CLK320, CLK500, CLK55, 645Ci, 330Ci, 325Ci or M3?

I've heard rumors of a CTS coupe....but I haven't seen what it may look like. Coupe buyers do not want a a sedan with the 2 back doors sealed shut.

I'd say it's impossible to be a luxury leader with no coupes or convertibles for people to salivate over. When Cadillac comes out with a dreamy looking coupe for about $50K....it will be a halo car....and a sign that BMW/MB has some serious competition.
Wasn't there a photo online somewhere that featured a clay model of what looked like a CTS Coupe. At least it was in the "Art & Science" format and had 2 doors. :D
Also, Cadillac re-entering the 2+2 luxury coupe would necessitate the resurrection of El Dorado. And STS hasn't launched yet (assuming El Dorado would be based off of it).

But seriously, if the 2+2 luxury coupe market that significant to enter for Cadillac at this point? I wouldn't mind seeing a "CTC" or an "STC" in the lineup, but not for a couple years. I'm more concerned with the revamp of DTS and E-Series.

As for convertibles... GM's got an amazing convertible in the 9-3, which is a leader in its segment. And lets not forget about the XLR. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Dec 16 2003, 04:31 AM
and this ULC(??) is gunna need to beat up the big boys of the class. I dont think there should be an V series for this car. This car needs to be a flag ship car for caddy, not some huge sports car. The V12 definatly needs to be in an AWD variant of the ULC to compete with the likes of MB and BMW. Image is everything, and if Caddy can get that back then its is good as gold. People that buy cars like this buy them for the name on the car and for teh $$$. Take the maybac(sp?). IF that had a 1.6l honda Vtec motor in it, and kept the rest, no one would give a crap because the car is a super luxo car, and is $$$. Im sure Lutz knows what hes doing. As long as he brings me back my beloved camaro, thats all I care about right now.
As far as the ULS with a V8, Performance V8, and V12, this could fill in the segments that Cadillac doesn't comete in yet.
First of all the "base" ULS would compete with the 7 and the S. Then there could be a ULC that could compete with the Bentley's of the world. And finally a ULS for the high-end, competing with Rolls and Maybach.

But a ULS would probably be coming in 2008 or 2009. And I don't think GM has a platform that large.

Oh yes... image is everything... for those of us conscious of such things. GM doesn't have "image" cars... except for maybe the Vette. And XLR hasn't been out for long enough to make an impact. And CTS-V is just out of the gate.

Give it time. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro+Dec 16 2003, 10:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Dec 16 2003, 10:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Dec 16 2003, 04:31 AM
and this ULC(??) is gunna need to beat up the big boys of the class.  I dont think there should be an V series for this car.  This car needs to be a flag ship car for caddy, not some huge sports car.  The V12 definatly needs to be in an AWD variant of the ULC to compete with the likes of MB and BMW.  Image is everything, and if Caddy can get that back then its is good as gold.  People that buy cars like this buy them for the name on the car and for teh $$$.  Take the maybac(sp?).  IF that had a 1.6l honda Vtec motor in it, and kept the rest, no one would give a crap because the car is a super luxo car, and is $$$.  Im sure Lutz knows what hes doing.  As long as he brings me back my beloved camaro, thats all I care about right now.
As far as the ULS with a V8, Performance V8, and V12, this could fill in the segments that Cadillac doesn't comete in yet.
First of all the "base" ULS would compete with the 7 and the S. Then there could be a ULC that could compete with the Bentley's of the world. And finally a ULS for the high-end, competing with Rolls and Maybach.

But a ULS would probably be coming in 2008 or 2009. And I don't think GM has a platform that large.

Oh yes... image is everything... for those of us conscious of such things. GM doesn't have "image" cars... except for maybe the Vette. And XLR hasn't been out for long enough to make an impact. And CTS-V is just out of the gate.

Give it time. :lol: [/b][/quote]
see, I think the megga caddy should come later on. I think the ULC should just be dedicated to the S/7 Series cars. Option for longer wheel base, all the gadgets and what not, and GM's V12 is a great monster engine to display GM's technological muscle in making such a sweet, and smooth motor.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Dec 17 2003, 01:29 AM
see, I think the megga caddy should come later on. I think the ULC should just be dedicated to the S/7 Series cars. Option for longer wheel base, all the gadgets and what not, and GM's V12 is a great monster engine to display GM's technological muscle in making such a sweet, and smooth motor.
Well... just following Cadillac's own timeline...

2004 - STS
2005 - DTS
2005/6 - E-Series
2006 - CTS Revision (?)

Stick in another V in there somewhere. So, by the 2007 timeline, Cadillac will be needing something new. Most likely this "ULS."
So.. 7/S class will compete with this. And a higher version to compete with Rolls and Maybach. Maybe by 2008 or 2009.

So, I'm assuming GM's probably got a platform in the works for this "larger" Cadillac. Or else, it could be a much longer wait.

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts