GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leftlane News
Consistent with the new naming scheme outlined by Cadillac's incoming brand president, Johan de Nysschen, all of the trademark filings are organized into the CT or XT categories.

The company has reserved the terms CT2, CT3, CT4, CT7 and CT8, hinting at revisions for existing models and new names for future additions. The company has already confirmed that its upcoming flagship sedan will be known as the CT6, while the CT5 is also listed among the older trademark filings.

Just as many crossovers and SUVs appear to be joining the cars, with fresh filings for XT2, XT3, XT4, XT5, XT6, XT7 and XT8. Previous reports suggest the next-generation SRX crossover will get the XT5 label. The range of additional numbers hints that the Escalade may also be brought under the same format, however the company has not yet confirmed if its flagship SUV will get a new identity.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-files-trademarks-for-ct2-ct9-xt2-xt8.html#ixzz3Itednhrp

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Re: LLN: Cadillac Files Trademarks for CT2-CT8, XT2-XT8

The issue with two letters before a number is that at a glance people will confuse the names.

With the current naming scheme having a different letter up front, they will get much less name recognition. Lincoln is a perfect example of this, so is Mercedes....

I don't know the different between the Lincoln MKZ, MKC, MKS (not even sure if those are actual models or not). Some of Mercedes models have this issue, if I go to a non car person they couldn't understand that the SL and SLK are different models.... then throw in the SLS on top of that. If you are going to go with a alpha numeric naming scheme then at best one letter and one number to differentiate (or number first). I feel that Audi does it as minimalistic as one should ever do it (A4, A6, A8 etc...).

Honestly if they were going to change naming schemes then bring back names for a change...

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

The issue with two letters before a number is that at a glance people will confuse the names.

With the current naming scheme having a different letter up front, they will get much less name recognition. Lincoln is a perfect example of this, so is Mercedes....

I don't know the different between the Lincoln MKZ, MKC, MKS (not even sure if those are actual models or not). Some of Mercedes models have this issue, if I go to a non car person they couldn't understand that the SL and SLK are different models.... then throw in the SLS on top of that. If you are going to go with a alpha numeric naming scheme then at best one letter and one number to differentiate (or number first). I feel that Audi does it as minimalistic as one should ever do it (A4, A6, A8 etc...).

Honestly if they were going to change naming schemes then bring back names for a change...
Names are not coming back, sadly. They don't want people to buy a model, they want people to buy the brand.

What car do you have? A Cadillac. The small one or the big one? It doesn't matter, its a Cadillac.

And the naming scheme is not complicated at all, the bigger the number the bigger the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts

It happened, get over it. They just need those new crossovers ASAP.
XT2: X1 fighter
XT3: X3 fighter
XT4: X4 fighter
XT5: X5 fighter
XT6: X6 fighter
XT7: Escalade
XT8: Omega SUV

Are they using all of the names they're trademarking?

·
Registered
44,433 Posts

What was wrong with ATS, CTS, SRX, and XTS?
ATS, BLS, CTS, DHS, DTS, DTS-L XTS, ESC, ETC, STS, SLS, SRX, Escalade, EXT, ESV, ELR, XLR.
Why the "T" and "L?"
"C" means coupe? "R?"

How do you denote AWD? With a subscript "4" that you don't pronounce.
Long wheelbase? With a "-L?" Or an "L" replacing the "T?"

Does "X" mean AWD? Crossover? High-luxury? Wait... "High luxury" was "H" at one point.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts

ATS, BLS, CTS, DHS, DTS, DTS-L XTS, ESC, ETC, STS, SLS, SRX, Escalade, EXT, ESV, ELR, XLR.
ATS - Easy.
BLS - Gone.
CTS - Easy, plus people recognize this name.
DHS - Long gone.
DTS - Gone.
DTS-L - Gone, L = LWB.
XTS - Easy.
ESC - Long gone.
ETC - Long gone.
STS - Gone.
SLS - Gone.
SRX - Easy, plus people recognize this name.
Escalade - Don't need to explain this.
EXT - Gone.
ESV - Stupid, but essentially Escalade-L.
ELR - Electric Luxury...? I don't know.
XLR - Gone.

Why the "T" and "L?"
Why the "T" and "L?"

T = Touring I think.
L = Luxury I think.

"C" means coupe? "R?"
Not any more. No clue about "R".

How do you denote AWD? With a subscript "4" that you don't pronounce.
Long wheelbase?
The "4" is staying. Plus, everyone I know calls my car an "ATS Four". No one says "ATS All Wheel Drive". People equate the 4 to 4 drive wheels.

Long wheelbase? With a "-L?" Or an "L" replacing the "T?"
_TS-L = LWB. ESV = LWB. Nothing's being replaced.

Does "X" mean AWD? Crossover? High-luxury? Wait... "High luxury" was "H" at one point.
No. 4 = AWD. Also, H is long gone.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

XT2: X1 fighter
XT3: X3 fighter
XT4: X4 fighter
XT5: X5 fighter
XT6: X6 fighter
XT7: Escalade
XT8: Omega SUV

Are they using all of the names they're trademarking?
Maybe. Isn't Audi targeting for a 60 model lineup in the future?

·
Registered
7,686 Posts

They probably want to keep the idea of having crossovers of all manners of sizes open for future models in case they need it.

Does anyone know where the current SRX will fall on this list? XT4?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

They probably want to keep the idea of having crossovers of all manners of sizes open for future models in case they need it.

Does anyone know where the current SRX will fall on this list? XT4?
Exactly. XT5, I believe.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts

Maybe. Isn't Audi targeting for a 60 model lineup in the future?
The 60 model lineup thing is retarded. No other way to put it.

A1
S1
A3 Sedan
A3 Coupe
A3 Wagon
S3 Sedan
S3 Coupe
A4
A4 Wagon
S4
RS4

And so on, and so forth.

In reality, they're only going to have like 12 different cars, but each trim is going to be designated a model. The A4 is going to have about 10 models based off of it.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts

The 60 model lineup thing is retarded. No other way to put it.

A1
S1
A3 Sedan
A3 Coupe
A3 Wagon
S3 Sedan
S3 Coupe
A4
A4 Wagon
S4
RS4

And so on, and so forth.

In reality, they're only going to have like 12 different cars, but each trim is going to be designated a model. The A4 is going to have about 10 models based off of it.
That is the best way to explain it, retarded......

When Audi says 60 model line up are they counting different trim levels as different models (ie A4, S4, RS4) or will there actually be 60 different models (so you can get an A20) but really the A20 will just be a trim on the A8.

Don't worry someone is going to walk in here and call it the greatest plan ever because it is from a German auto maker....

1 - 20 of 76 Posts