GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
…or perhaps they are (and this is just my dream) fine tuning the Celestiq to be better than everything hitting the market in the luxury EV category and that’s what’s taking it so long and will justify its price. The whole “hand built” thing doesn’t sell me because an electric car is just a bottom and a top. 😂🤣 (sorry inside joke)

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
The Cadillac Ultium car (or cars) should have came FIRST.
Yes.
But my primary concern is how GM will differentiate the Ultium that is found in a Celestiq vs an Ultium found in a Equinox.
Sure there are 19 versions of the Ultium "platform." But what will make each more "special" than the other?

Will Chevy only get up to 350 mile range? And Cadillac will start at 350 and go on to 500 miles?

I find it interesting that GM decided to revive a dead brand to launch Ultium, and then pricing it in the middle of the Cadillac price range. Maybe it makes sense, as Escalade had just launched and they wanted something "new" to launch Ultium.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Can Cadillac charge $150k for an Escalade? If so, how many sales would they lose at the lower end of the current pricing structure if that pricing structure were to shift upwards? Or do you keep the bottom end of the pricing structure the same? GM dominates the full size Luxury SUV market, so moving the prices upwards there's a risk that could hurt them in the end. Its a guessing game....guess right and everybody loves you. Guess wrong and you lose market share and massive profits and all the arm-chair quarterbacks say "I told you so". Right now, the Escalade formula is a known fact...it works great...do you change it to appeal to the snobs who would most likely never purchase a Cadillac anyways? I say take the money and run...**** the elitest who drive Bentleys and thumb their nose at Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Don't mess with success!!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
…or perhaps they are (and this is just my dream) fine tuning the Celestiq to be better than everything hitting the market in the luxury EV category and that’s what’s taking it so long and will justify its price. The whole “hand built” thing doesn’t sell me because an electric car is just a bottom and a top. 😂🤣 (sorry inside joke)
I hope the "top" isn't selfish...

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
Can Cadillac charge $150k for an Escalade? If so, how many sales would they lose at the lower end of the current pricing structure if that pricing structure were to shift upwards? Or do you keep the bottom end of the pricing structure the same?
The strength of the Escalade name will allow Cadillac to sell a $150,000 Escalade, so long as there are significant improvements made to the SUV and significant interior upgrades to luxury appointments and tech. (i.e. Anything that has the hint of plastic is replaced with metal or leather covered plastic, carpeting is improved, etc.)

And yes, you'd keep the lower pricing structure, obviously.
A Mercedes GLS is $78-170K. There's no reason why Escalade can't be $78-150K.

GM dominates the full size Luxury SUV market, so moving the prices upwards there's a risk that could hurt them in the end. Its a guessing game....guess right and everybody loves you. Guess wrong and you lose market share and massive profits and all the arm-chair quarterbacks say "I told you so". Right now, the Escalade formula is a known fact...it works great...do you change it to appeal to the snobs who would most likely never purchase a Cadillac anyways? I say take the money and run...**** the elitest who drive Bentleys and thumb their nose at Cadillacs.
I don't believe that.
I believe adding even higher trims (or making the Platinum actually worth it) can only STRENGTHEN Escalade's market position. It would also strengthen's Cadillac's perception of actually selling a luxury product and experience.

I honestly don't know why there's so much pushback of trying to raise the profile of Cadillac.

Frankly, if you want a Cadillac but find that you can't afford one... then Cadillac is doing something RIGHT.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can Cadillac charge $150k for an Escalade? If so, how many sales would they lose at the lower end of the current pricing structure if that pricing structure were to shift upwards? Or do you keep the bottom end of the pricing structure the same? GM dominates the full size Luxury SUV market, so moving the prices upwards there's a risk that could hurt them in the end. Its a guessing game....guess right and everybody loves you. Guess wrong and you lose market share and massive profits and all the arm-chair quarterbacks say "I told you so". Right now, the Escalade formula is a known fact...it works great...do you change it to appeal to the snobs who would most likely never purchase a Cadillac anyways? I say take the money and run...**** the elitest who drive Bentleys and thumb their nose at Cadillacs.
How big is the ultra-luxury pie, anyway?

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
The BE Hummer isn't a brand tho.
Think of what Daimler did with Maybach.

HUMMER is relegated to being a sub-brand of GMC. Just like Range Rover is a sub-brand of Land Rover.
I actually don't like how Daimler revived Maybach either.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Not arguing - it certainly is a risk, but I think a gamble worth taking to raise the prestige of the brand.
If they're truly going to go for that price point, there has to be absolutely no shortcuts anywhere, because at that price, people will be looking for anything and everything to nitpick, and rightly so.

The strength of the Escalade name will allow Cadillac to sell a $150,000 Escalade, so long as there are significant improvements made to the SUV and significant interior upgrades to luxury appointments and tech. (i.e. Anything that has the hint of plastic is replaced with metal or leather covered plastic, carpeting is improved, etc.)

And yes, you'd keep the lower pricing structure, obviously.
A Mercedes GLS is $78-170K. There's no reason why Escalade can't be $78-150K.

I don't believe that.
I believe adding even higher trims (or making the Platinum actually worth it) can only STRENGTHEN Escalade's market position. It would also strengthen's Cadillac's perception of actually selling a luxury product and experience.

I honestly don't know why there's so much pushback of trying to raise the profile of Cadillac.

Frankly, if you want a Cadillac but find that you can't afford one... then Cadillac is doing something RIGHT.
I've been around a top of the line X7 which is around $120k and it has just about every surface covered in leather - including the bottom parts of the door panels, dash, glove box, etc. - parts that reviewers usually call out for reverting to regular plastics down there.

I don't remember how Escalade does in that department, but point being, they need to pay attention to details like that - both at Escalade's growing price point - and especially at Celestiq's.

Some of Cadillac's recent concepts Ciel, Elmiraj, etc. have been impressive looking - and they basically need to produce a concept car for it to be successful, IMO.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts