GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the Escalade will go out with a bang.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
213 Posts
Part of me is still pissed off that GM didn't differentiate the Escalade further from the others full-sized BOF in its portfolio.

I think using the blackwing engine instead of the 6.2 L will have give something unique to the Esclade and would have help recoup some R&D and tooling for the Blackwing while keeping the CT6.

In that scenario the Escalade-V would have used the 550 hp version of the 4.2 L Blackwing while being helped by some sort of new version of the B.A.S. mild-hybrid system.

I know sales proved me wrong but for long term image Cadillac needs further differenciation from Chevrolet.

The current Escalade isn't worth the premium over the Tahoe High Country.

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
Part of me is still pissed off that GM didn't differentiate the Escalade further from the others full-sized BOF in its portfolio.
That's been the fundamental complain with Escalade for 5 generations.
And while Cadillac has started to differentiate it more and more... it's still not enough.
What I had always wanted was for it to be as differentiated from Tahoe/Suburban as the Hummer H2 was. Escalade was always that middle ground.

I know sales proved me wrong but for long term image Cadillac needs further differenciation from Chevrolet.
I've always thought Cadillac has left a lot of money on the table and hasn't taken a lot of opportunity to give Escalade additional options far beyond what Chevy and GMC have.
It's still a good product. It just isn't an excellent product that it could be.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
No matter your thoughts on the current or former Escalade's, it's worth noting that the Arlington plant that makes ALL of the full size SUV's runs at full capacity + overtime nearly ALL THE TIME. Any more demand for any particular model comes at the expense of another model/brand.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No matter your thoughts on the current or former Escalade's, it's worth noting that the Arlington plant that makes ALL of the full size SUV's runs at full capacity + overtime nearly ALL THE TIME. Any more demand for any particular model comes at the expense of another model/brand.
I'm guessing we'll see a price of $120k and production of maybe 5000 units. GM typically favors making the more expensive vehicles for maximum profit, so I would imagine Tahoe sales at the lower end would suffer.

·
Registered
19,657 Posts
Were I GM, I'd be looking to increase the Escalade sales to get their fatter profits. Sure, someone looking for a base Tahoe might need to wait longer, but right now someone looking for a higher end Escalade is walking to a German dealership.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Really wish Cadillac would do some type of executive package for the 2nd and 3rd rows. that's where the cost cutting shows up against German and now American(Grand Wagoneer) rivals.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,767 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Sheesh, I dunno but he seems like some Russkie we dare not trust, especially with that new beard and all. :rolleyes: ;). Anywho back to the subject at hand, I think this is awesome that they are really doing this" going out with a bang" kind of thing for the Escalade. A lot of folks will be quite overjoyed.
Sorry, been that kind of humpday...

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

I think using the blackwing engine instead of the 6.2 L will have give something unique to the Esclade and would have help recoup some R&D and tooling for the Blackwing while keeping the CT6.

In that scenario the Escalade-V would have used the 550 hp version of the 4.2 L Blackwing while being helped by some sort of new version of the B.A.S. mild-hybrid system.

I am absolutely befuddled as to why the Escalade wasn’t engineered to use the Blackwing engine. Would have taken the Escalade to the next level.

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
I have to agree that since GM has the GMC line, Escalade can climb much much higher, as GMC can with Denali go up to $130K, and Escalade above that.. and Tahoe to $100K..

But Reuss and Mary are at the end of the Day villagers like myself. They don’t see it.

·
Registered
19,657 Posts
Just a thought, could be nothing... To me it appears that GM has been taking the Escalade up a notch with each generation vs. the last. Could it be that they are slowly getting the public used to the idea of a very expensive Escalade? Can probably say the same for the other vehicles in Cadillac's lineup. In other words, 20 years ago the brand couldn't support the equivalent of today's $125k Escalade (or similarly priced Blackwing CT5).

Either way, I think Cadillac can now support higher levels of trim than offered today. Perhaps if the Celestiq does well it will convince GM to take that next step for the balance of the Cadillac lineup. Or, perhaps the green lighting of the Celestiq IS GM signaling that they think Cadillac is ready and leading off their elevating their vehicles.

Or I'm just dreaming :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
I have to agree that since GM has the GMC line, Escalade can climb much much higher, as GMC can with Denali go up to $130K, and Escalade above that.. and Tahoe to $100K..

But Reuss and Mary are at the end of the Day villagers like myself. They don’t see it.

LOLZ
A top end Yukon Denali Ultimate with every conceivable box checked doesn't clear $90,000.
Perhaps if GMC spent more time cultivating the Denali line to be more than it currently is, it can really stretch to$100-110K. I wouldn't expect more from a GMC or a Denali.

Escalade should be operating in the $90-150K range. But if you check all the boxes on a Platinum, just clears $120K. Escalade really should have an executive seating package too, and more attention paid to the middle and rear seating areas.

Escalade has done well for Cadillac. I just think Escalade can much better than it is.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Just a thought, could be nothing... To me it appears that GM has been taking the Escalade up a notch with each generation vs. the last. Could it be that they are slowly getting the public used to the idea of a very expensive Escalade? Can probably say the same for the other vehicles in Cadillac's lineup. In other words, 20 years ago the brand couldn't support the equivalent of today's $125k Escalade (or similarly priced Blackwing CT5).
I think that you are right, otherwise it would not be able to command a premium. They either go up or they're out

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
It shouldn't take 5 generations to get there though. And topping out at "only" $120,000, it still has quite a long way to go. Consider Range Rover is now $105-180,000. And the line isn't even fully fleshed out yet. GLS is $80-165,000 base if you include the Maybach version.
Escalade has found a nice little niche for itself. But I think it has room to expand on the high end.

Either way, I think Cadillac can now support higher levels of trim than offered today. Perhaps if the Celestiq does well it will convince GM to take that next step for the balance of the Cadillac lineup. Or, perhaps the green lighting of the Celestiq IS GM signaling that they think Cadillac is ready and leading off their elevating their vehicles.

Or I'm just dreaming :ROFLMAO:
Celestiq remains a big question for me.
Cadillac's intent is a "$250,000" car. But Cadillac hasn't operated in this tier since the 1940-50's. Creating and selling a car that is seen by the luxury consumer as being WORTH $250,000 is something I don't see Cadillac being able to do. Cadillac no longer has the name (or respect) to support it. I mean, how fully bespoke is this thing going to be? Barra used some interesting euphemisms and descriptors in the CES video about the Celestiq, which pointed at an extremely low volume, high end car. Which we already knew.

I don't know what Cadillac's sales projections are for it either. And making the jump from a $120,000 Escalade to a $250,000 sedan is all together different. My guess is "dozens."

I'm skeptical at a $100,000 Cadillac sedan. And maybe Celestiq will have a more "affordable" spin off version at that price point down the line. I dunno.
But, it seems like Cadillac is going for the moonshot, while they haven't really learned how to walk thru the luxury car market yet. Or in other words, this is Cadillac putting the cart before the horse.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts