GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CADILLAC TO OFFER LINE OF PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES FOR NEW CTS-V

Cadillac presented the CTS-V at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas outfitted with some of the V-Series accessories that will be offered in 2004.

The 2004 CTS-V – Cadillac’s ambitious entry into the high-performance luxury car niche – represents the first vehicle to wear the Cadillac V-Series badge.

Equipped with a revised LS6 5.7-liter V-8 engine mated to a Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission, the CTS-V is a highly refined performance sedan that’s designed and engineered for driving enthusiasts, whether on the road or at the track.

The new CTS-V will be produced at the Lansing (Mich.) Grand River Assembly Plant, winner of the J.D. Power Silver Quality Award. Production is slated to begin in the fourth quarter of 2003. Lansing Grand River is home to GM’s new rear-wheel drive Sigma architecture that is also the foundation for the CTS sedan, SRX luxury utility, and future STS luxury sedan. The CTS-V incorporates a series of high-performance refinements tuned on the world’s most renowned tracks, including the famed Nürburgring in Germany.

The result is the most powerful production car in Cadillac’s lineup – and one that is engineered to more than hold its own with some of the industry’s most renowned high-performance luxury vehicles, including entries from the BMW M-series, Audi S-series and Mercedes-Benz AMG series.

CTS-V enters the high-performance luxury club at the top in terms of horsepower, offering 400 horsepower and 395 lb.-ft. torque. However, the CTS-V is about much more than raw power.

To make the CTS-V both agreeable on the race track and comfortable on the street, GM Performance Division engineers implemented a series of high-performance refinements to the vehicle’s chassis system featuring four driver-selected modes of StabliTrak including a ‘competition’ mode; retuned, larger shock absorbers; larger springs and stabilizer bars, performance tuned bushings; performance tuned steering; and reinforced, larger front and rear cradles.

The exterior of the CTS-V has been revised with purposeful enhancements including larger front and rear fascias and rockers, seven-spoke 18-inch flangeless wheels, dual investment-cast stainless steel exhaust tips, stainless steel wire-mesh grille split above and below the front bumper, and distinctive V-Series badging.

Interior revisions include sueded fabric seat inserts, accent stitching, driver and passenger adjustable lumbar, satin chrome aluminum accents, instrument cluster featuring two Driver Information Centers displaying performance oriented information including peak and momentary lateral acceleration; oil, transmission and coolant temperatures; oil and tire pressure readings. Navigation and XM radio are also standard equipment.

Serious Accessories
The CTS-V will be offered with a line of V-Series accessories, some of which were unveiled at the SEMA show. A set of 6-lug, 18” polished alloy wheels are offered to further enhance the CTS-V’s appearance. The open wheel design highlights the substantial disc brakes and calipers.

The brake discs for the SEMA car have been replaced with cross-drilled rotors. Cross drilling helps to keep the brakes cool, reducing brake fade.

An under hood carbon-fiber appearance package was also displayed. Consisting of a radiator cover, engine cover, and tower-to-tower brace, the carbon fiber components enhance the underhood appearance and help reduce vehicle weight.

Cadillac CTS-V Highlights:
- LS6 5.7L V-8 with Tremec six-speed manual transmission
- Specially tuned high performance suspension components including larger shocks, springs and stabilizer bars
- Performance-tuned steering
- StabiliTrak with four driver selectable modes
- Massive four-wheel disc brakes with four piston Brembo calipers with vented discs
- Goodyear Eagle F1 245/45WR18 run-flat tires
- Subtle exterior enhancements, including a stainless steel wire mesh front grille, revised front fascia with brake ducts, revised rocker panels, rear fascia with dual exhausts, and subtle V-series badging.
- A new instrument cluster with two driver information centers, driver selectable to provide additional instrumentation on fluid temperatures, oil and tire pressure, and lateral acceleration
- Leather and metallic accents
- Sueded fabric seat inserts
- 18-inch accessory wheels
- Cross-drilled accessory brake rotors
- Carbon-fiber accessory under hood appearance kit (CRFM cover, engine cover, and tower-to-tower brace)

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
I never liked the CTS-V in that silver color. It's much better in black. But then again, I'm biased, both my cars are black on black. <_<

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Oct 29 2003, 07:25 AM
I never liked the CTS-V in that silver color. It's much better in black. But then again, I'm biased, both my cars are black on black. <_<
I'm not feeling the wheels on this V

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon+Oct 29 2003, 12:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (casket_demon @ Oct 29 2003, 12:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mgescuro@Oct 29 2003, 07:25 AM
I never liked the CTS-V in that silver color.  It's much better in black.  But then again, I'm biased, both my cars are black on black.  <_<
I'm not feeling the wheels on this V [/b][/quote]
You're right, the wheels are all wrong

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon+Oct 29 2003, 07:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (casket_demon @ Oct 29 2003, 07:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mgescuro@Oct 29 2003, 07:25 AM
I never liked the CTS-V in that silver color.  It's much better in black.  But then again, I'm biased, both my cars are black on black.  <_<
I'm not feeling the wheels on this V [/b][/quote]
Maybe if you rub your screen a little harder, you can feel them. :blink: :blink:

:lol:

But you're right.... something one 'em doesn't look right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
:eatarrow: I sat in a black CTS-V today. The interior is the same except the seats have suede inserts and some bading, but its nice. I thought the seats would be more bolstered but perhaps there are some internal changes to the seats. The 18" 6 lug wheels are big and the brakes are HUGE! 14" rotors front and back. I think the car looks more aggressive in silver because on black, you don't see all the ducts and scoops as well. The big St.St. grill is a bit too bling-bling for me but it does look upscale and any that can afford it will eat it up. M5 size, better than M3 performance for a lot less cash. They will not be able to make enough. B)

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
Originally posted by troppo loungo@Nov 3 2003, 08:37 PM
:eatarrow: I sat in a black CTS-V today. The interior is the same except the seats have suede inserts and some bading, but its nice. I thought the seats would be more bolstered but perhaps there are some internal changes to the seats. The 18" 6 lug wheels are big and the brakes are HUGE! 14" rotors front and back. I think the car looks more aggressive in silver because on black, you don't see all the ducts and scoops as well. The big St.St. grill is a bit too bling-bling for me but it does look upscale and any that can afford it will eat it up. M5 size, better than M3 performance for a lot less cash. They will not be able to make enough. B)
Why complain if the grill is too "bling-bling." That's the only way Caddy is going to sell these cars to the people who can afford them.

As for getting it in silver instead of black just so you can see the ducts and scoops better... maybe. But when it's black, the car becomes non-descript and can hide in a crowd. And then when you wanna show up a Mustang Cobra.... BAM.... bye bye Mustang. :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by troppo loungo@Nov 4 2003, 01:37 AM
may I ask where you sat in one? are they out yet? did you drive it? is it all the bad-assness you imagined?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Nov 4 2003, 03:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Nov 4 2003, 03:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-troppo loungo@Nov 4 2003, 01:37 AM
:eatarrow: I sat in a black CTS-V today. The interior is the same except the seats have suede inserts and some bading, but its nice. I thought the seats would be more bolstered but perhaps there are some internal changes to the seats. The 18" 6 lug wheels are big and the brakes are HUGE! 14" rotors front and back. I think the car looks more aggressive in silver because on black, you don't see all the ducts and scoops as well. The big St.St. grill is a bit too bling-bling for me but it does look upscale and any that can afford it will eat it up. M5 size, better than M3 performance for a lot less cash. They will not be able to make enough.  B)
may I ask where you sat in one? are they out yet? did you drive it? is it all the bad-assness you imagined? [/b][/quote]
I don't know where he sat in one, but I do lnow the the V IS NOT OUT YET. Production is to start sometime in Spring 2004........i think ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am not at liberty to say where I sat in one. Just trust me that I did. I was not complaining about the car at all. I did say the grill looked upscale and I would most likely get black if I could afford one. It was a cloudy day when I was looking at it. I have not driven one but if I get the chance I will give my impressions. The interior is very classy looking with some extra aluminum accents. I did drive a SSR last week with the top down. Its a pretty neat vehicle and the interior design is very funky. It drives well but its definetly heavy and its taller than I would have thought. It has a nice exhuast sound but the acceleration is only quick at best. The interior is small and the bed is smaller than one would think. The roof operation is very impressive. It a huge head turner. Its simply a 2 seat convertable on a truck chassis. Its not really a truck. Its a cool low volume niche vehicle. I also drove a H2 and took it offroading a bit. I love that thing and it drives very well for its size and weight. Acceleration and braking is pretty good.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I have not been able to drive the CTSv yet, but I have driven a number of newer GM products. I don't see the appeal of the H2 beyond one-upping the neighbor's Escalade/Navigator. It's too big on the outside and not big enough on the inside. It's less noisy than the H1 on the road but sucks just about as much gas (I got 11 mpg on a trip). The SSR, was a different story. I didn't want to like it but I couldn't find a major flaw. It's a big roadster...as long as you look at it that way and not as a pickup or a true sports car, you'll be fine. It's above a boulevard cruiser but below the C5.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Over 150 CTS-V's were produced a month ago and
have been sighted in a holding yard, ready to go to GM
executives for testing to work out bugs.
These are saleable units but will not be sold for many months.

Here is a post I found in edmunds where I was repeating info from bigdaddycoats, who actually saw the cars in the holding yard.

300 of 356 already under production by b4z Oct 17, 2003 (5:49 am)
According to bigdaddycoats on the CTS thread 150 CTS-V's are in a holding yard ready to go to GM executives.

This was 19 days ago.

133 Posts
Cool.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Those poor executives. Work out the bugs, gee I wonder how many will cruise Woodward Ave just to see how fast they can melt the tires? If I was given a CTS-V to test the first two cars I would go looking for are an M5 and any AMG product.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From what I understand, it's common practice for GM to run an initial batch of new vehicles and put them in the hands of corporate employees to put some miles on them. There was one GM exec that was driving one when we were in Fllint for the Buick Centennial Celebration back in July.

In the black ones, they do look more "normal" until you see the V-series flag emblems. Silver might be a concession as the "typical" German car color. I'm not sure what colors the CTS-V might come in, but perhaps a deep brandywine red pearl coat might really show off the car's lines?

Enjoy!
NTX5467

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is one badass caddy, Cadillac should start building more big V8 Rear-drive cars, and it does look better in black, as most cars do.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by S10@Dec 3 2003, 05:52 AM
That is one badass caddy, Cadillac should start building more big V8 Rear-drive cars, and it does look better in black, as most cars do.
dont worry young blood, its coming
CTS-V
STS
E'lade
SRX
XLR are all RWD V8's.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
One of the guys over at our site has driven one and gave an interesting review.. Fast as hell, but not beating the Z06. Handling amazingly well - it's very hard to get any sound out of the tires; shifting wasn't so great...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano@Dec 9 2003, 09:54 PM
One of the guys over at our site has driven one and gave an interesting review.. Fast as hell, but not beating the Z06. Handling amazingly well - it's very hard to get any sound out of the tires; shifting wasn't so great...
Im sure its fast as all hell, but to come near a car that has near 600lbs, thats a lot to ask. And I have yet to see one car that shifts well! Everyone seems to replace a shifter asap for better control. Will the CTSV get CAGS?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by NTX5467@Nov 16 2003, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure what colors the CTS-V might come in, but perhaps a deep brandywine red pearl coat might really show off the car's lines?
Siler and black. Those are the only colors. Silver and black.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts